Not able to start- believe1.8 bmc fuel injector pump isnt working properly

Vincent

Featured Posts

I have had a problem starting my 1.8 bmc engine for the last 5 weeks, luckily i have friends that will taxi me around.
I believed it was my batteries- tested the old they werre reading 12.3 and lower so got 2 leisure and a starter all 110s
When getting a jump start the engine will turn-over but will not engage.
Got a good firend to look at the engine and he said it probable is the Fuel injector pump-
and recommended that i get it out and recondition or buy new- both options will cost a good deal of money.(£600)

Question:- Is there any check/ basic fix etc.. that i can do, any suggestions

There is very little diesel spitting out where turning over the engine.

That's a bit drastic, there are a lot of other things to try first

Simplest (and cheapest) will be an air leak in the fuel line. Have you tried bleeding the system?

Richard

Going on from Chop: On a 1.8 the stop may be a manual lever like a 1.5 or an electric energise to run solenoid. If its the later make sure it receives 12V and you can feel a slight "click" as you turn the ignition on. That gives an indication it is working. However as Richard says there are lots of things to check first. The very last thing to suspect, until you list all the tests the "friend" did, is the injector pump.

1. Loosen the banjo bolt on the top of the fuel filter and spin the engine or use the priming level on the lift pump to ensure a good flow of air-free fuel form the union. No fuel flow = check the level in the tank is more then 6 to 8" above the bottom, check the fuel tap is turned on, check any primary filters/water traps for blockage, check strainer in top of lift pump (if one is in there). If still no fuel suspect a faulty lift pump - possibly bug in valves.

If plenty of fuel does flow repeat at the bleed screw on the CYLINDRICAL BODY of the injector pump, again expect a fair flow. If no or very low flow check the main fuel filter for blockages and if OK and observing fanatical cleanliness carefully unscrew the large hexagon from the fuel pipe union at the "back" end of the injector pump to make sure the plastic strainer is clear - beware of springs.

IF there is plenty of fuel flowing from that bleed screw then loosen all four main injector unions and spin the engine until fuel drips from each one. Then tighten. This would have bled the system so the engine should run. Remember clouds of white/light grey smoke when cranking = fuel system OK, little smoke = lack of fuel.

Lots of smoke but not starting indicates a possible glow plug failure, be it a circuit problem or faulty plugs.

Lets have a list of those tests.

If and when it does start does it run OK? if it does then I would suspect glow plugs. Does it restart ok from hot / warm? again I would suspect glow plugs, Does it run badly when started? I would give it a new filter, If that makes no difference I would suspect some other fuel problem but assuming clean (is it?) fuel and no air leaks or slime in the fuel I might wonder about the lift pump and right at the end of the whole process I might wonder about the more expensive options. Good Luck.

When doing fault finding always check the cheapest item first! You don't want to change the injectors or the pump for a blocked filter or an empty fuel tank.

Is there fuel in the tank? -Is it clean? is it water free?

Is there fuel leaving the tank

Are there any fuel filters, are they clean?

If this passes your skill and confidence level then ring RLWP* and wave money at him. Please have a full set of batteries fully charged ready for any mechanic.

*Other repairers may exist.

Would have thought no1 check is you haven't been syphoned and level isn't below fuel pick up.

A tank can have an inch or two [or even more] of diesel yet still be below pick up.

Been to a few that appear to have 'plenty of fuel' yet chucking in another can worth and all comes to life.

Check basics as per AB & TB suggest first before going Major.

Good luck!

Edited by Dinz