BSS certificate

bottle

Featured Posts

I had an e mail from Waterscape this morning confirming this. The object is to make the BSS self funding, no subsidy from BW or EA, a knock on effect of the DEFRA cuts I supose. The increased cost is paid by the examiner and I would expect be passed on the the boat owner.

:P

I don't remember having to pay separately for the certificate last time I did it?

No you would not pay separately but the examiner has to buy the certificates to give you, it is in the cost that they quote to you.

If it costs them more it will cost you more.

No you would not pay separately but the examiner has to buy the certificates to give you, it is in the cost that they quote to you.

If it costs them more it will cost you more.

Well the BSS charges seem very arbitrary anyway, and vary widely from examiner to examiner. I was quoted between £70 - £150, so who's going to know whether they slap on another £12 or another £30?

I've been toying with the idea of doing the course. Anyone done it and would like to comment?

I have not done the course either but have investigated it. The course currently costs £1900, plus your food/accommodation expenses whilst doing it. So you need to look closely at your "business case" before jumping in, and work out how many examinations you would need to complete just to return your costs - and how long this would take. I guess, examiners fees depend on how many they are doing/their reputation/the competition.

Mike

It's getting worse, guess who the increased cost will be passed on to??

Yes, the boater, another nail in the coffin of introducing people to the canals by way of cheaper boating. Don't suppose £12 will bother the shiney narrow brigade, though, only a tenth of the cost of an extra rivet.

I'll continue to stick to tidal waters or day licences where a BSC is not required.