Search function

Featured Posts

As far as I can tell, the search engine doesn't allow keywords of less than 4 characters. This is a pity since it precludes searching for things like "oil", "tv" and lots of others, especially when it is combined with a known author to limit total search return numbers. Is this hard coded into the forum software, or something that could be changed?

Here's a typical oblique answer ignoring your question...

Search CWF using google instead.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=canal+world.net+oil

MtB

Yeabut that only allows one search criteria on an unspecified field. I want to be able to search in more than one field (keyword and author) and use a short word for the keyword. Just searching for "oil" would surely return thousands of hits.

Yeabut that only allows one search criteria on an unspecified field. I want to be able to search in more than one field (keyword and author) and use a short word for the keyword. Just searching for "oil" would surely return thousands of hits.

I see what you mean. My guess is that it's hard coded into the software as I encounter it in other invision-powered sites too.

Either that or it's a default setting Dan didn't notice, or decided not to change.

MtB

I see what you mean. My guess is that it's hard coded into the software as I encounter it in other invision-powered sites too.

Either that or it's a default setting Dan didn't notice, or decided not to change.

MtB

It's obviously there to prevent huge numbers of search returns if, for example, you searched for "and", but it would not be unfeasible to allow short search terms when another field is also being searched, so as to limit the returns. Not saying the forum software supports that of course.

Has anyone checked, I thought the last upgrade meant you can now do three letter searches here

Richard

No you can't, unless it has changed very recently.

The site software allows you to set the minimum number, which at present is set at two, to allow maximum searchability as so far we have not had any major issues with server load due to the search. The default is four.

However I notice there is a small note under the field which reads 'Note, if using the fulltext search method, your MySQL configuration may override this setting' so it may be that this is whats buggering it up if you cant search below four. Wont be tonight, but I can look into this in time if its an issue.

Daniel

Thanks Dan, searching for 3 letter words definitely returns zero results. In order to prevent server-clogging is there a way to limit the max number of returned records in a search? At least, that could be a fallback if getting the sql server down to 3 or 2 characters causes congestion.

Edited by nicknorman