Canal and River Trust changes in Licence Terms and conditions

jenlyn

Featured Posts

How do you think spending money on enforcement will provide more money for maintenance ?

Regards kris

As I said earlier, if licences are not renewed in cases of non-compliance then there should be less need for expensive monitoring and enforcement.

No CRT are starting to introduce paid for moorings as mentioned in this very thread!

Regards kris

There will be plenty of opposition if mooring charges are introduced for staying overnight. I have paid several times at Llangollen but not anywhere else on CRT waterways, except for privately run moorings.

A boat with a home mooring doesn't have to move to another 'place' after 14 days, it just has to move . . . that's all.

If I move my boat, it will be in a different place, unless I move it back to where I started from.

Edited by Athy

and what happens once a license is refused?

( your answer won't involve money I take it )

What about, removal and the associated exspenses

Regards kris

Perhaps we will find out. Bear in mind that the reason that CRT are taking action is that a minority have been messing them around for years.

Athy, on 01 Feb 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

If I move my boat, it will be in a different place, unless I move it back to where I started from.

In your mind you are in a diferent 'place' - but are you in C&RTs mind ?

Definition of Place (Collins) :

1. a particular point or part of space or of a surface, esp that occupied by a person or thing
  2. a geographical point, such as a town, city, etc
  3. a position or rank in a sequence or order

Your definition may be the space occupied by your boat, C&RTs may be a town or a city.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

So it's okay to pay at langollen, but not anywhere else?

Regards kris

It's not something I'm keen on at all and I cannot remember the history. At Llangollen there is electricity and that might be free, though I have never used it.

I don't want to see visitors moorings going the way of car parking, with charges becoming standard. I don't see a problem with restricting popular visitors moorings to 24 hours during the summer months.

Perhaps we will find out. Bear in mind that the reason that CRT are taking action is that a minority have been messing them around for years.

I just hope your happy when your paying increased licence fees and £25 a night to more anywhere that isn't your obligatory home mooring.

Regards kris

We'll as you say you have already paid at langollen. So did you let CRT know that you weren't happy?Did you question there legal right to charge you? No, so if boaters don't argue why wouldn't they roll it out across the country. I very rarely moor on visitor moorings winter or summer,

By the way you still haven't explained how spending more money on enforcement is going to raise more money for maintenance?

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

We'll as you say you have already paid at langollen. So did you let CRT know that you weren't happy?Did you question there legal right to charge you? No, so if boaters don't argue why wouldn't they roll it out across the country. I very rarely moor on visitor moorings winter or summer,

By the way you still haven't explained how spending more money on enforcement is going to raise more money for maintenance?

Regards kris

I certainly expressed my concern the first time I encountered the charge. I was given a verbal explanation (I cannot remember the details other than the fact that electricity is provided), but found that the charges had been in place for several years. The best time to object is before changes are introduced.

I would also be prepared to pay for a guaranteed overnight mooring in places where it is currently very difficult to moor and read that this is being done in London. In most other places I don't see a need for charges for visitors moorings.

I do have a great deal of sympathy for CRT having to monitor visitors moorings for overstaying. A considerate boater will abide by the rules out of consideration for other boaters.

What minority would that be I was at a meeting with CRT where they stated that during the summer months boats with home mooring were the biggest overstaying problem hence why they are making boaters with a home mooring subject to the same conditions as ccer or are you saying that a minority of boaters with a home mooring are the ones causing the problems?

I would also be prepared to pay for a guaranteed overnight mooring in places where it is currently very difficult to moor and read that this is being done in London. In most other places I don't see a need for charges for visitors moorings.

You rather contradict yourself there in one paragraph you are saying it is ok to charge and then later you say there is no need. I am on my way to London now and will take another look for myself at the mooring situation. Just out of interest these paid for moorings in London do you think it is ok for them to be left empty on the nights when no rich boaters have taken up the option to book one?

No CRT are starting to introduce paid for moorings as mentioned in this very thread!

Regards kris

It isn't uncommon to pay for visitors moorings on waterways run by other licencing authorities.

What is wrong with CRT following suit on popular sites?

But he saw a situation arising he didn't like or want to be part of and changed his situation so he isn't part of it. That's taking responsibility for oneself, in my opinion much better than burying your head In the sand, like a lot of people seem to be doing.

Regards kris

Regards kris

I thought I had answered that. If it's known that CRT won't relicense boats that are obviously not complying with the rules, the choice is simple. You either comply or you are out, unless a good reason for non-compliance has been given. Get rid of what are normally called p*sstakers on this forum and the need for the unpopular tracking of boat movements should be greatly reduced, and obviously the cost involved.

And again what about the cost of removal?

Regards kris

It isn't uncommon to pay for visitors moorings on waterways run by other licencing authorities.

What is wrong with CRT following suit on popular sites?

What you mean other than CRT not having the legal right to

Make such charges

Regards kris

I thought I had answered that. If it's known that CRT won't relicense boats that are obviously not complying with the rules, the choice is simple. You either comply or you are out, unless a good reason for non-compliance has been given. Get rid of what are normally called p*sstakers on this forum and the need for the unpopular tracking of boat movements should be greatly reduced, and obviously the cost involved.

but you just said the problem is people overstaying. how do the changed terms help this?

and you didn't answer the earlier question; what happens ( in cost terms) after the license is refused ?

You rather contradict yourself there in one paragraph you are saying it is ok to charge and then later you say there is no need. I am on my way to London now and will take another look for myself at the mooring situation. Just out of interest these paid for moorings in London do you think it is ok for them to be left empty on the nights when no rich boaters have taken up the option to book one?

To be honest, I'm not sure about the best way forward now that we have so many boaters wanting to visit popular places. Sometimes I wish we were back in the 70s and 80s.

First of all I would like to make it clear that I'm not a shiny boater and I make a point of walking to avoid parking charges. As I said earlier, I have no problem with popular visitors' moorings to be restricted to 24 hours during the summer season. It's a while since I've been to London but I can understand why CRT is experimenting with bookable moorings. A hire boater or private boater may be only out for a week and it is tough if they have to moor up during the afternoon when it's light until 9pm, to be sure of getting a mooring. They may be happy to pay for a mooring.

What we definitely need to discourage is mooring charges creeping across visitors moorings, like parking charges have done in cities and towns. Free overnight mooring for one night should provide a solution at many locations. Rationing of a scarce resource seems the fairest solution without the need for charges. For example, stations often provide free parking for 20-30 minutes. I have never had a problem with finding a space when picking people up from the station.

but you just said the problem is people overstaying. how do the changed terms help this?

and you didn't answer the earlier question; what happens ( in cost terms) after the license is refused ?

Let's wait and see if CRT go down the route of refusing to relicense boats that have not complied with the rules.