Pole and plank rack

blackrose

Featured Posts

Hope its ok to ask here, ive been searching the forum and it brought me to this thread. I noticed a little blackened area on the oak lining inside where the horn is fitted to the roof. A black rubbery seal has been used and its obviously started to perish but i cant see any rust. Ive ordered some Marine Flex and wondered if its just a case of remove old seal and replace, or are there any other tips to make sure we've done a proper job? Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you suspect the holes are leaking, take the horn off, wipe the area over with some white spirit to clean it, also clean the seal with a little white spirit and inspect it. If it's perished then try to get a new one, but if you can't then smear marineflex over both sides of the seal and put the horn back on. The other option is to make a new seal from a bit of rubber using the old seal as a template.

I'd pump a bit of marineflex into the holes before you put the horn back on and if the old screws are corroded use some new screws of the same size (solid brass, or stainless, not plated). You can put a dot of marineflex on the screwthreads to seal them before they go in. Clean up with the same cloth/white spirit. The marineflex takes about 24 hours to cure depending on the temperature.

Edited by blackrose

Mine are wooden and just sit there under their own weight - not fixed.

Basically, this is what I do, with a line lashing the plank down to the roof, which then holds the brackets in place. You can just see it in this photo - two small eyes fixed to the roof..

I could add some elastic thingies to hold the shaft down, but it has never been necessary.

dscf4690.jpg

I too have a wooden rack which just sits on the roof and it has been exposed to storm force winds without moving an inch.

Actually when I got the boat I presumed it was fixed in place but it's not.

Unfortunately that wouldn't work on my roof. I've had lots of heavy stuff go flying off in storms. My roof is very curved and once it gets going it ends up in the water.