Moss growth on window frames

Sarahr

Featured Posts

when we had a GRP we had this problem, first wash the frame with soapy water and clean all the moss off, then dilute some jeyes fluid in water and clean again, i found this lasts for around a year or more but as it gets washed off with the rain the moss does come back unless you use the fluid every 6 months or so.

The rear extension of my house has a "flat" roof which was re-felted in 2010 but has since accumulated quite a lot of moss. I just ignore it because I suppose it's harmless, I don't imagine the roots pose any sort of threat; am I wrong?

I feel moss adds a bit of character and is not unsightly, but that's a matter of personal taste.

The rear extension of my house has a "flat" roof which was re-felted in 2010 but has since accumulated quite a lot of moss. I just ignore it because I suppose it's harmless, I don't imagine the roots pose any sort of threat; am I wrong?

I feel moss adds a bit of character and is not unsightly, but that's a matter of personal taste.

the only problem i see with moss on the roof is that it will hold water and "may" become heavy enough to crack the ceiling.

Moss grows on the tiles of my north facing part of my roof.

Crows and magpies have great fun picking at it to find insects and they throw the bits off the roof. I have a pile of 'moss droppings' to clear up off the patio every few days.

What puzzles me is that although we have lived here for 20 Years, we have only noticed this phenomenon in the last 3 years.

Before you say it ............. smiley_offtopic.gif

Moss grows on the tiles of my north facing part of my roof.

Crows and magpies have great fun picking at it to find insects and they throw the bits off the roof. I have a pile of 'moss droppings' to clear up off the patio every few days.

What puzzles me is that although we have lived here for 20 Years, we have only noticed this phenomenon in the last 3 years.

Before you say it ............. smiley_offtopic.gif

You may not be as off topic as you think; moss usually grows more in north facing places (my flat roof doesn't get a lot of sun) because while, like all plants except fungi, it needs some light, moss really hates full sunlight. This may be of little help to the OP if her boat, or at least one side affected by moss, frequently has to be moored in the shade. Remember this rule: Girls just want to have sun.

Also, I too have sometimes noticed birds pecking at moss and chucking some of it aside, so it is to be hoped that they may perch on the gunwales and be able to reach the moss at the bottom of the windows from there.

Sarahr: you'll be wanting to do the opposite of the advice given here:

http://gardening.about.com/od/gardendesign/qt/How-To-Grow-Moss.htm

I have removed all the felt from my window frames as this seemed to be what the moss attached itself to, don't find it made any difference to the windows if anything they work, open and shut, much better, and there does not seem to be any extra draft or rattle since I took it all out