Question for the Electrickery Bods

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

The magnet motor itself is a scam. It doesn't work.

Magnet motors do work, there is no hidden power source in the above video. Magnetic energy is being converted into rotational energy and this in turn is being converted into heat energy in the lamp. However, they do not work indefinitely as, when magnets are placed in opposition, the magnetic energy becomes depleted- that's why a horseshoe magnet should always be stored with a "keeper" across the poles to complete the magnetic circuit.

If a magnet motor did work indefinitely, it would be a perpetual motion machine, and would break the first law of thermodynamics- that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, merely converted from one form to another.

Magnet motors do work, there is no hidden power source in the above video. Magnetic energy is being converted into rotational energy and this in turn is being converted into heat energy in the lamp. However, they do not work indefinitely as, when magnets are placed in opposition, the magnetic energy becomes depleted- that's why a horseshoe magnet should always be stored with a "keeper" across the poles to complete the magnetic circuit.

If a magnet motor did work indefinitely, it would be a perpetual motion machine, and would break the first law of thermodynamics- that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, merely converted from one form to another.

Yep and me, I run Clarrie's electric engine using this system. The diesel and electric companies have made offers of millions of pounds for me to destroy it.

wub.png

Me too. I also have a box of everlasting matches here. Bryant and May have offered me MILLIONS not to tell anyone.

Oh, bugger...

MtB

This is like being back at college. Magnetism a force, not energy. Scalars and vectors. It's all coming back to me through the haze.

I read an article, on line I think, about a former Concord engineer who claims to be on the verge of producing a perpetual motion machine which proves that even competent and intelligent people can go completely mad.

This is like being back at college. Magnetism a force, not energy. Scalars and vectors. It's all coming back to me through the haze.

I read an article, on line I think, about a former Concord engineer who claims to be on the verge of producing a perpetual motion machine which proves that even competent and intelligent people can go completely mad.

Concorde

wink.png

MtB

(Former Concorde engineer smile.png )

P.S. I agree with you point about mag being a force not an energy.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Interesting both the article and the bloke confuse a machine with no losses (i.e.a perpetual motion machine) with a machine that can do work ('work' in the scientific sense) e.g. lift a bucket with no source of energy.

Both are, of course impossible, but the latter more far more impossible than than the former!

:)

MtB

OK - lets assume there are 'secret' power supplies in those previous videos - where is it in this one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiAhiu6UqXQ

It doesn't really matter does it? As we KNOW there is a secret power supply.

The magnet will not make the fan rotate like that in real life, I don't reckon. But I'm about to prove it as by chance I happen to have 100 tiny neodymium magnets here, AND a gash computer fan. I'm going to stick one on each blade and find out!

I think the 'repel' effect on the magnet currently being repelled will be balanced out by the repel effect on next magnet approaching, as the repel force will be in the opposite direction, balancing them out. Hence no turning moment and the video is a fraud.

MtB

It doesn't really matter does it? As we KNOW there is a secret power supply.

The magnet will not make the fan rotate like that in real life, I don't reckon. But I'm about to prove it as by chance I happen to have 100 tiny neodymium magnets here, AND a gash computer fan. I'm going to stick one on each blade and find out!

I think the 'repel' effect on the magnet currently being repelled will be balanced out by the repel effect on next magnet approaching, as the repel force will be in the opposite direction, balancing them out. Hence no turning moment and the video is a fraud.

smile.png

MtB

Exactly right. At best the the 'motor' will bounce a little bit from the energy input of moving the last magnet into place. Once that has dissipated everything will stop dead with the magnetic forces in equilibrium.

Well earlier I stuck seven magnets on the seven fan blades with silicone. Now it has set, I can confirm the motor effect doesn't happen, just as we thought.

I dunno why I bothered. I KNEW it would be a fraud, stands to reason dunnit!

MtB

P.S. Although I CAN make it spin briefly by dabbing the handheld up and down rapidly...

Well earlier I stuck seven magnets on the seven fan blades with silicone. Now it has set, I can confirm the motor effect doesn't happen, just as we thought.

I dunno why I bothered. I KNEW it would be a fraud, stands to reason dunnit!

smile.png

MtB

P.S. Although I CAN make it spin briefly by dabbing the handheld up and down rapidly...

You really must be bored Mike. Try this one. Get a bike tyre and a ball bearing. Stand the bike tyre up, and throw the ball bearing around the inside, very rapidly. It soon comes to a stop at the bottom, duntit?

Now, with this special silicone grease I've got, the ball bearing doesn't stop, just keeps going round and round.

Couldtongue.png you do something with that?

You really must be bored Mike. Try this one. Get a bike tyre and a ball bearing. Stand the bike tyre up, and throw the ball bearing around the inside, very rapidly. It soon comes to a stop at the bottom, duntit?

Now, with this special silicone grease I've got, the ball bearing doesn't stop, just keeps going round and round.

Couldtongue.png you do something with that?

Correct. The forum is being really DULL tonight...

:D

MtB