Solid fuel stove - which one?

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Hi folks, found this thread after searching.

Looking at multi fuel wood/coal stove choices with built in ovens and have found two contenders, one being the Bubble 4B and the other was Chilli Penguin's Hungry Pengin or Fat Penguin and was wondering if anyone has them installed that could give me a bit of a review on them on how easy to light they are, how easy to empty the ash pans will they burn all night. The ovens should be decent and to control them would be down to fire management and vent control.....but would be happy to hear what you've cooked in/on them as well.

I cook a lot of proper BBQ, where you put the lid on and you have the right amount of fuel and vent control to keep the temps stable, so you have a charcoal fired oven and my life the results are amazing!

Anyway, I'm favouring the Bubble as it has a larger oven, a decent sized firebox and built in thermometer.

This wont be my only source of cooking or heating but for sure something I could use in the winter time to cook with as it will be lit anyway.

It will be for a 60 x 10 wide beam fulltime live aboard which is in the early stages of design.

Huge thanks

Edited by metal_snapper

I've got a Boatman with a back boiler. Heats a couple of small rads and a small cauliflower comfortably without having to be raging all the time. Some dislike that fact that there is no separate door for the ash pan, but I cant see that it makes any difference to me.

oENU4Pbl.jpg?1

Wouldn't we need to know what model of stove you have before recommending a replacement? Perhaps I missed it, but all I saw in the OP was "Morso" and they make quite a few different stoves. For example I have a Morso Panther which has a 9kW output. Would that be suitable? Even the popular Squirrel has a couple of variants with different heat outputs. So what is your current stove?

Edited by blackrose

Hi blackrose, I resurected this thread after a search, so I assume the OP is now sorted as was a couple of years back. ☺️

Wouldn't we need to know what model of stove you have before recommending a replacement? Perhaps I missed it, but all I saw in the OP was "Morso" and they make quite a few different stoves. For example I have a Morso Panther which has a 9kW output. Would that be suitable? Even the popular Squirrel has a couple of variants with different heat outputs. So what is your current stove?