Woodworking & Joinery courses

saxman

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me of any woodworking / joinery courses geared to narrowboat maintenance and improvement.

I have two or three projects that I would like to undertake aboard my boat, the first of which is to learn how to remove and replace wall panels as I have been having an issue with moisture at the rear of my boat.

Secondly I would like to build a shelving unit in my galley to seprate it from the saloon and 'break-up the space' and finally I would like to build some benches in the cratch that have storage beneath them.

I am based in Leicestershire.

Many thanks in advance!

I very much doubt there are any specifically geared to narrowboats although you might find a recreational woodwork course at your local FE college.

As far as removing wall panels is concerned the procedure could be anything from remove trim strips, unscrew panel and lift down to lever it off and to blazes with the damage. It all depends upon the original builder.

Also remember very little is square and true on a narrowboat. You will have to cut patterns to abut the cabin sides and the shape will vary through out the boat. Its the same with the roof profile.

Working with wood is pretty easy....as long as you have the right tools. I have spent loads building mine up. (I use them for my work)

Rather than buy/hire it may be cheaper to find a joiner to do the work.

The best place to look is your local timber yard/supplier (not B&Q) and either ask or look at the business cards on their notice board. Better to ask as they supply them and know them well. Much better than phone book ads.

As for lessons..watch him work and ask questions I have never minded peope watchin and it makes the day go quicker...

Thanks Jerra and Series 3. It turns out my girlfriends Uncle is a carpenter and lives on a narrowboat locally! So he has agreed to teach me and guide me in doing the jobs I want to crack on with as I would rather learn the skills myself and be able to stand back and say it was my own work!

Many thanks again.

Thanks Jerra and Series 3. It turns out my girlfriends Uncle is a carpenter and lives on a narrowboat locally! So he has agreed to teach me and guide me in doing the jobs I want to crack on with as I would rather learn the skills myself and be able to stand back and say it was my own work!

Many thanks again.

I am glad that you have found a good solution to your problem. Despite suggestions that woodwork is easy, and you that can learn on line, there is no substitute for learning alongside a professional, they used to call that an aprenticeship. You will learn far more in a weekend with your girlfriend's Uncle, than months of (probably irelevant) instruction on a screen.

When you have finished why not post a few photos ?

I certainly agree David. My working life commenced with an electrical engineering apprenticeship and although my career path has developed and changed well away from that down the years I am still competent with electrics and retain most of my knowledge. I will certainly make a photographic record of my achievements.

When I purchased my boat (The Roaring Donkey) the first job was to get it repainted which was done just over a year ago, my girlfriend took on the sign-writing having never done anything like that before (she is quite artistic though). We went to Crick Boat show and got some good advice from Phil Speight who was very helpful and this year she finished the artwork which just shows what can be achieved.

I don't know how to paste pictures in to the forum yet or I would show you!!

I am glad that you have found a good solution to your problem. Despite suggestions that woodwork is easy, and you that can learn on line, there is no substitute for learning alongside a professional, they used to call that an aprenticeship. You will learn far more in a weekend with your girlfriend's Uncle, than months of (probably irelevant) instruction on a screen.

When you have finished why not post a few photos ?

Couldn't agree more. I was lucky to have a schoolfriend whose dad was a joiner and he taught us both the basics. I learned far more from him than I did at school. As an adult again I was lucky to live next door to a retired plumber who guided me through all manner of jobs and completely demystified the trade for me in the process.

Half the battle is actually having the confidence to start the job in the first place, the other half is not rushing it and seeing it through to the end. I think a lot of folk are just fazed by the apparent mystery of the building trade and those "DIY gone wrong" programmes on the telly don't help.