Renewing the Licence

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Well we might as well get rid of the licence paper copy as CRT believe that they see every boat and are confident in being able 100% compliance especially when none NAA marina boats trundle out at weekends.

Not forgetting those boaters who for sentimental reasons keep old licences displayed oh and old mooring permits.

The seller will tell them quick enough when the next license demand drops through their letterbox!

Or may they won't. They might just bin it, then what?

MtB

P.S. Ah yes, one effect will be the new owner loses his pre-payment discount!

And complain that CaRT didn't bother to send him a reminder

So the only function of the 'paper' licence is to stop people calling C&RT and reporting 'un-licenced boats'

I think the Thames lock keepers find them useful if you have a Gold Licence as they check them when you pass through. They don't have the hand held gizmo's

I think the Thames lock keepers find them useful if you have a Gold Licence as they check them when you pass through. They don't have the hand held gizmo's

Just have to make sure that you have plenty of gold ink in your printer.

Obviously C&RT are only considering users on their own waterways

For anybody interested, or for future reference, here is CRT's reply.

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif
RE: Changes in boat ownership.
Thanks for your email.

It would usually be down to the previous owner to inform us of a change of ownership, although sadly this doesn't always happen! The change of ownership form is not a legal document, so at the end of the day it doesn't really matter who sends it into us.

It doesn't look like we had received this information from the previous owner, so I have forwarded your email to the boat licensing team who will update our records. Please note that when the licence is due for renewal, you will need to complete a new application form.

Kind regards,

When I bought Abacus about 3 years ago the previous owner filled a form and sent it to CRT. I then had a letter from stating was this true and to sign and return another form with all my particulars on it.

That's interesting because I haven't sent them my pdf after our boat passed in June, I think I must have assumed now that it's all done electronically I didn't need to.

You are right though, it does beg the question why they can't simply verify it electronically.

Ed. Just had a quick look at my pdf and it says this:-

If a pass is reported, this document can be considered a receipt-style certificate. However, it is the entry of this information on the central BSS database, and not this examination report, that will be used by your boat licensing authority to confirm that your boat has passed its BSS examination.

So it would appear you shouldn't have to send anything anywhere.

good cos I'm not sending them anything.. I just checked to make sure the correct issue date and expiry date for the BSS is printed on the form and I'm leaving it at that.. Someone in a CRT office somewhere knows that our boat has a recently issued BSS cert, I did however, phone them to tell them that they had our mooring location wrong, only to be told we can't deal with that over the phone, has to be in writing! a quick email sufficed.