Diesel v petrol Generators

CaptainJacks

Featured Posts

I am considering a generator setup on my narrowboat and with red diesel being easier to get on the canal than petrol wondered if anyone else uses a diesel generator aboard?

I am considering having a metal generator box on the back end of the stern above the fender too and wondered if anyone has this kind of arrangement ?

Cheers.

Diesel is a preferred fuel for BSS/insurance issues with petrol (fumes) in an enclosed space, usually treat petrol like propane and have a vapour proof place to put it.

Little diesel gensets usually make lots of noise, better ones less noise.

Can you find a place on board to put the diesel unit as an installation?

You are missing something. Look at the Kipor with LPG conversion. Quieter and cheaper to run and no petrol needed. Will be cheaper to buy as well. Just connect to one of your gas bottles.

Very interesting but where would I put the gas bottle.

Another thing that worries me is putting a generator and a gas bottle on the bank and preventing them getting booted into the canal.

Cheers.

Small gas bottle, chained to generator, chained to mooring ring/tree etc.

Best thing about this set up, is that the generator can be stored aboard in places that a petrol one would fail the BSS. No fuel in it! Gas bottle kept in gas locker, and can be used in emergancy to boil the kettle.

Unless you are a Gas-Free boat.

Bod

Very interesting but where would I put the gas bottle.

Another thing that worries me is putting a generator and a gas bottle on the bank and preventing them getting booted into the canal.

Cheers.

The bigger risk is noticing the genny has stopped, then going outside to change the gas bottle and finding it's just been nicked.

There is an apocryphal story on here about a boater chasing a thief up the towpath carrying the genny with it still running!

MtB

We have a two pot 6.5 kva diesel on our boat. Makes a lot of noise but it's got us out of trouble a few times. I don't like running the engine too much for charging. Takes a long time. The genny runs a washing machine and sticks 60amps through the charger at the same time. It is a bit of a lump though.

We have a two pot Lister 6.5 kva diesel on our boat. Makes a lot of noise but it's got us out of trouble a few times. I don't like running the engine too much for charging. Takes a long time. The genny runs a washing machine and sticks 60amps through the charger at the same time. It is a bit of a lump though.

I was in the fortunate position of having enough space in the engine room to fit a 3kw diesel generator. My back really appreciates the fact that I don't need to lift the thing onto the bank before starting it. I built a soundproofed box to deal with the noise and installed forced draft ventilation to extract the exhaust and ensure enough air got to it. Works well when we are off grid.