First timer needs advice

Barry

Featured Posts

Ok I reckon I need to have a go at this narrow boating lark - I've had lots of holidays on the Broads and The Thames but never been on a canal

And since I'm researching living aboard I want to try narrow boating in the non-summer so I'm going to hire a narrow boat for a fortnight in early March if I can

What I need is the answers to some questions and any advice you experienced canalers can give me

Can I hire a narrow boat solo?

What length would you recommend bearing in mind that I shall be buying quite a long boat to live aboard?

Can you recommend a good (not too expensive) hire boat company

What would be a good canal system to go for for a first timer?

I'm a pretty hardy soul with plenty of good quality cold and wet weather gear, happy in my own company and not too bothered about doing without luxury

What do you reckon?

Hi Bazza,

I'm just back from a weeks hire (we were out in the storms last week), like you I wanted to try cold wheather winter cruising. We hired a 58' semi trad from Norbury Junction Boat Hire. They are based on the Shropshire Union at Norbury Junction, from there we cruised down the Shroppie and did a section of the Staffs and Worcs too before winding and returningbthe same way. We ended up doing about 30 locks and 30ish miles, so lots of experience. I think this would all be do'able solo with the right preparation although I wasn't alone. I'd thoroughly reccomend the company and they were by far the best value I have seen for winter hires.

Feel free to PM me for contact details etc, I'd be happy to dig them out.

Rgds

Les

Hi Bazza,

I'm just back from a weeks hire (we were out in the storms last week), like you I wanted to try cold wheather winter cruising. We hired a 58' semi trad from Norbury Junction Boat Hire. They are based on the Shropshire Union at Norbury Junction, from there we cruised down the Shroppie and did a section of the Staffs and Worcs too before winding and returningbthe same way. We ended up doing about 30 locks and 30ish miles, so lots of experience. I think this would all be do'able solo with the right preparation although I wasn't alone. I'd thoroughly reccomend the company and they were by far the best value I have seen for winter hires.

Feel free to PM me for contact details etc, I'd be happy to dig them out.

Rgds

Les

Out in the storms must have been an experience to remember

What do you mean by the right preparation Les?

PM on it's way

Thanks

Hi Bazza, we had a great week, the storms were only one of many things that made it memorable.

By preparation I meant just having a proven technique in place for single handed locking etc... there are tons of info here on the forum, I would also suggest spending time at a lock going through the technique in your mind before hiring a boat so that when you get there in the boat for the first time you can slowly and confidently put that practised method into practice.

Rgds

Les

Will pm the info back shortly!

Hi Bazza2

You'll need to ask before booking about solo hire. I know our Insurance policy states that two 'adults' are required. Some companies may be more flexible with experienced boaters but in general the two adult rule is fairly common with commercial policies.

Why not get someone else to tag along and split the cost!

Cheers

Justin.

Hi Bazza2

You'll need to ask before booking about solo hire. I know our Insurance policy states that two 'adults' are required. Some companies may be more flexible with experienced boaters but in general the two adult rule is fairly common with commercial policies.

Why not get someone else to tag along and split the cost!

Cheers

Justin.

Any one else fancy a holiday in darkest early march

Hi Bazza, we had a great week, the storms were only one of many things that made it memorable.

By preparation I meant just having a proven technique in place for single handed locking etc... there are tons of info here on the forum, I would also suggest spending time at a lock going through the technique in your mind before hiring a boat so that when you get there in the boat for the first time you can slowly and confidently put that practised method into practice.

Rgds

Les

Will pm the info back shortly!

I've been offered a day out on a narrow boat by a forum member - we are sorting it out now so hopefully I can learn from an experienced soloist how to tackle locks

And I've ordered a book about solo narrow boating which I should receive shortly

Any one else fancy a holiday in darkest early march

Bazza! I thought you'd never offer!

Seriously though, good luck! We always have two of us, but going solo must be a bit daunting. I've read the threads on solo boating, but I don't think they make a lot of sense until you actually go out and do it. There's no substitute for experience.

As has been said, many hire companies insist on a minimum crew of two. Makes sense really. One to steer, moor, do the locks etc, and one to keep the bacon butties coming!

Good luck with it!

Janet

Bazza! I thought you'd never offer!

Seriously though, good luck! We always have two of us, but going solo must be a bit daunting. I've read the threads on solo boating, but I don't think they make a lot of sense until you actually go out and do it. There's no substitute for experience.

As has been said, many hire companies insist on a minimum crew of two. Makes sense really. One to steer, moor, do the locks etc, and one to keep the bacon butties coming!

Good luck with it!

Janet

Thanks Janet - I'm not particularly worried about going solo - I did it last November on the broads and it just required a bit of pre-planning to moor and leave moorings - mind you the boat was 10ft 6 x 28 ft so I had a fair amount of room and there weren't any locks to contend with

If you are intent on going solo, be aware of canals with swing bridges. Not so bad in peak season as you can always just follow a willing volunteer but a pain to do on your own.

Locks not bad - just take your time and no probs.

If you are intent on going solo, be aware of canals with swing bridges. Not so bad in peak season as you can always just follow a willing volunteer but a pain to do on your own.

Locks not bad - just take your time and no probs.

Evidently I have a lot to learn - I had no idea that swing bridges could be a problem

Gosh - I hope the learning is going to be fun

You could try the Llangolan canal only 2 locks

Black prince do some good boats based at chirk, if you ring late you get a good discount

Thanks MCK - good info - I'll keep it for reference

You could try the Llangollen canal, only 2 locks

Yerwot? :)

Not got my Nicholson at w**k, but I seem to recall quite a few, not to mention lift bridges.

Helpful folks at Chirk, I wouldn't know about hire rates though.

Okay, have just checked my cruise log and I was thinking about the Llangollen as a whole, and it looks like all the locks are the other way between Chirk and Hurleston, and there's not much to worry about if you go from Chirk to Llangollen and back to Chirk.

Edited by Moley

Bazza, you are more than welcome to come and have a look at Fairies Wear Boots if you need inspiration, ideas, or have questions. We are only at Chapel Hill so if you want to pop round drop me a PM and we'll chat!

On the subject of hire firms, there is a small company at West Stockwith (so not far!), they only have 2 NBs and you can only go up the Chesterfield, but it is a beautiful area, with plenty of locks so you'd get loads of practise there!

Bazza, you are more than welcome to come and have a look at Fairies Wear Boots if you need inspiration, ideas, or have questions. We are only at Chapel Hill so if you want to pop round drop me a PM and we'll chat!

On the subject of hire firms, there is a small company at West Stockwith (so not far!), they only have 2 NBs and you can only go up the Chesterfield, but it is a beautiful area, with plenty of locks so you'd get loads of practise there!

If you are at Chapel Hill are you the guy I spoke to while I was getting my fishing gear out of my car a week last Saturday?

I used to fish the Chesterfield canal near Misterton and from what I remember it's lovely

PM on it's way

Why not go on a hotelboat holiday?

It will be cheaper than a hire holiday and the owner's are normally happy to discuss the pit falls of living afloat and boat handling- and by definition have lots of experience!

Try the hotelboat pages at www.apco.org.uk

I hadn't thought of that - but I'd like to try the solo narrowboating thing

Like the first person to reply to you we have hired from Norbury wharf and are doing so again for a week in February..

they are lovely people and the boats are top notch..with stoves and a proper boat feel rather than a hire boat feel...

they are also the most reasonable company I found price wise after weeks of scouring the internet....

the Shroppie is really lovely too and the Llangollen and the middlewich branch are also well within reach...

We won't be hiring with them again though after Feb ..because we have found 'our ' boat and made an offer which was accepted today...YAY.!!!!!

We won't be hiring with them again though after Feb ..because we have found 'our ' boat and made an offer which was accepted today...YAY.!!!!!

Congratulations !!!!!

Let us know as it all progresses - with pictures of course

Allan

Ive met someone runing a hired narrowboat solo.

- He had hired a boat for a week every year for about 20years he said, sole for about the last eight.

- The boat was a alvechurch if my visual memory is upto it! "Its a wed won..." but yeah, should be doable.

For living aboard, i would be temped to go for 58ft odd, just like emilyanne. And for the same reason. Longest narrowboat that can go everywhere.

- And without the enigneroom/coal/etc you would have bag loads of space!

- However, you could have somethink a little smaller too. Try out some boats.

Daniel

Bazza,

I would be interested to know the name of the book you have found on the subject of solo narrowboating - I am shortly to move aboard my first boat and would like to be able to travel as much as possible without having to persuade (or put up with!!) friends and family to acompany me every time!

Cheers,

Shazza

Bazza,

I would be interested to know the name of the book you have found on the subject of solo narrowboating - I am shortly to move aboard my first boat and would like to be able to travel as much as possible without having to persuade (or put up with!!) friends and family to acompany me every time!

Cheers,

Shazza

It's a book that was recommended on another thread - produced by the Inland Waterway Association I think - only 4 quid - I'll find out for you - my copy was posted to me yesterday

IWA website

its the book called going it alone

interestingly it's about managing a narrowbot single handed

Edited by Bazza2