I'm thinking of a new project...

Black Country Lee

Featured Posts

... but having no luck finding anything suitable. I'm trying to find a mid to late 30's footer but trad. Found a few cruiser stern and semi-trad but no trads.

I'm looking for a real project boat that I can spend a couple of years getting just how I want it with all mod cons but I want it to look fully trad from outside.

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Lee.

Have a look on the famous "Apollo Duck" thingy

Had a look earlier, there aren't many trads on there. The ones that are are mostly 50+ footers and silly money even for projects. I want one I can gut so no point buying a recently refurbed boat. I think this is going to be a long search lol.

Lee.

If you are going to gut one, perhaps changing the steelwork at the stern would be an option. So chopping a cruiser or semi trad could be a solution

Richard

It's more the effort of relocating the engine room as most cruisers have a below stern deck engine space. I'd rather cut 20 foot out of a 50 footer that's already gutted if I'm honest lol.

Lee.

It's more the effort of relocating the engine room as most cruisers have a below stern deck engine space. I'd rather cut 20 foot out of a 50 footer that's already gutted if I'm honest lol.

Lee.

Welding in a couple of engine bearers isn't much of a job, no decorative welds in the cabin sides to get right either

Richard

Edited by RLWP

How about this?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=384194

Looks a prime candidate for a bit of tinkering around with. Could you extend the cabin forward, or just put a hot tub in there.

It looks an easy enough conversion but a bit pricey for a project for me. I like the hot tub idea though lol :P

Welding in a couple of engine bearers isn't much of a job, no decorative welds in the cabin sides to get right either

Richard

Very true, it all depends on price/work required/which way I want to take the project.

Lee.

Good, what I wanted to do was open your thoughts to other possibilities

Richard

I just like the BC as it'll be easier to heat as a live aboard during the winter as I intend winter-proofing all the water system in the main cabin from the frost etc..

I'd consider most things other than a springer (ugly) or rust/rot prone hulls (I won't mention the one that pops to mind!).

Lee.

It's one of my daydream projects, a (probably) 40' hull with an engine room with a Lister ST2W in it. I came across one on the Shroppie last year. Quite charming

Richard

Yes indeed, from a purely mechanical point, the sound, layout and sheer beauty is the draw for me. If money was no object then a 70' town class (Harland and Wolf) would be my dream boat.

Lee.