... and you thought CRT was bad!

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Unfortunately it is the meteoric rise in the number of court cases, usually bought by the near-criminally stupid, that has caused these signs to turn up all over the place. No adult in possession of their faculties should require signs like these (those NOT in possession of their faculties and of course children should be accompanied).

People have been encouraged over recent years to believe they are not responsible for their own safety (or indeed almost anything else). This needs to change!! If one trips over a loose paving stone whilst texting, it is the persons fault for not looking where they were going, full stop! It would be the decent thing to do to inform the council that the pavement needs repairing of course.

No sane person reaches adulthood without learning that wet surfaces can be slippery, water is a drowning hazard, and overhead wires are often carrying high voltages...... They just don't!

I doubt if this is actually legally enforcable - you cannot delegate responsibility for H&S to 'the public' - this was discussed in Parliament some time ago - here is an excerpt from Hansard :

" .......However, inappropriate delegation of health and safety responsibilities will not be a legitimate defence to a charge of gross negligence. The courts will be able to consider how the activity was managed at senior level, and if the answer is that those at senior level failed to manage health and safety appropriately in respect of the activity, that will be potent evidence of failures at that level".

As an example - it is now a legal requirement that every tree, that a member of the public can have regular access to, is subject to inspection,

From the HSE website :

Given the large number of trees in public spaces across the country, control measures that involve inspecting and recording every tree would be disproportionate to the risk. Individual tree inspection is only likely to be necessary in specific circumstances, for example, where a particular tree:

• is in a place frequently visited by the public;
Such trees need an inspection annually by a 'competent person' and every 5 year by a 'qualified person'

There is a now a huge 'business' being developed offering 'tree inspection qualifications'

I wonder how many C&RT employees have qualified ?

http://www.trees.org.uk/aa/news/Professional-Tree-Inspection-course-comes-to-Somerset-187.html

As a slight aside, i was always taught that you can not delegate Responsibility, only Authority.

While I was living in France I came across 2 H&S type notices which translated as follows;;

'The organisers are not responsible for anything' This at an agricultural show.

'Parents are responsible for their children' This at a swimming lake.

In contrast, at a level crossing at Moels on the Wirral there was a sign that said;

'Open gate on far side before crossing'

For all I know it is still there.

Sultan

Which one is the butler?

Well it isn't the one in the German carpenter's quickly-detachable shorts, nor the one standing beside what looks like a satellite box thing (but is in fact the pontoon riser) so I suppose it must be the one on his knees, which of course is always the best position for any butler.

Nice looking boat. Welcome to the marina.

Thanks, didn't realise you were there too!

So on the Nene met:

Smudge

Purple Fairey

Ditch Paddler

Gazza

Tree

Ssscrudddy - well didn't meet, but was close to!

So this is where all the forumites hang out!

Edited by nicknorman

We are back on the grand onion, but before I depart this thread just one more sign:

15148724599_12d32183f6_c.jpg

Very deep water by nick.norman, on Flickr

A depression in a field, bone dry though perhaps with water in it in times of flood.

So presumably any low lying ground, like most of Somerset, should have such signs just in case they flood. And whilst we are at it, surely all beaches and in fact the entire coastline should be plastered with signs warning that the sea could contain deep water...

Ed: so presumably if it is deep water, I could dive into it head first without risking hitting the bottom... Mmmh I have a cunning plan for suing EA!

Edited by nicknorman