earth

joerobo

Featured Posts

It has something to do with 'floating earth' and how it is wired to the boat.

ps, 'floating earth' has nothing to do with boats

pps. I am in any way qualified to answer your query but it has come up before on the forum, I think.

Its going to used for pluging a battery charger and sometimes into the boat though a shore connector the rcd box to ring main.

To allow the RCD(s) to offer full protection the AC distribution box earth busbar must be connected to the boats hull. Ideally the AC supplies neutral should also be connected to this earth busbar. Shore power and correctly installed inverter supply satisfy this condition.

Problem is some generators allow the live and neutral to float with respect to the earth/chassis connection. Others have a centre tapped earth, so if you connect a strap from live to notional neutral you will place a short on one half of the output. The generator supplier should best be able to advise on this issue.

I would leave well alone especially if the generator is used onboard your boat and accept the small indefinable reduction in safety protection.