Sold my boat :(

stickleback

Featured Posts

Having decided that we were just not using the boat enough to justify the capital tied up and annual expenditure, we decided to put out narrowboat with Rugby Boats to sell it for us. Many thanks to Dominic who dealt with us - it took about 18 days from when the boat was put on his website to us receiving the money from the sale.

Much as I am going to miss our (infrequent) holidays on board over the last seven years, I hope whoever has bought our boat has much happiness with it and that they get to use it more!

@naughty cal

It was far from easy! Big rows between us!!! There is nothing in my experience as wonderful and relaxing as just mooring up in the middle of nowhere after a fairly tiring day of working locks, walking miles - mooring up and opening a bottle ( or two!).

But plans for selling house and retiring early didn't work out ... Hopefully another boat in a few years time!

Have you considered shared ownership? It is much cheaper than hiring and allows you to see almost all of the system.

Its main drawbacks are lack of flexibility and, being run by a democracy means you will not always get your own way.

However it does offer the cheapest boating fix with a sense of boat ownership.

Have you considered shared ownership? It is much cheaper than hiring and allows you to see almost all of the system.

Its main drawbacks are lack of flexibility and, being run by a democracy means you will not always get your own way.

However it does offer the cheapest boating fix with a sense of boat ownership.

I'd agree with all of that. It's not the sort of thing I'd go for if I was looking to own a boat, but in Stickleback's position, I'd look at it very seriously as a good way to get in a decent amount of chugging with an element of ownership thrown in. I'd assume it's cheaper than hiring when you compare the cost of the share with the equivalent number of weeks hire.