How to tell if a boat listing is a scam?

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

She has told you how the transaction will go .

why dont you message back and tell him/ her how the transaction will go , as in no transaction so f@#k right off and stop stealing people's money you lowlife c@@t.

see how that goes down with our Katherine/Isabella.

You've asked two separate questions really.

1) There are endless threads on here about how to verify the seller genuinely IS the owner and has the right to sell. The upshot is you can't really. There is no 'proof of ownership' document or register so it's down to you using your wits. The seller having a receipt from when he bought it plus a folder stuffed with maintenance receipts etc all in his name helps quite a lot though. Or rather if this stack of documentation is claimed not to exist, smell one BIG RAT.

2) Scam adverts have one huge indicator, they always try to fool you into paying for the boat before you see it. Usually a bargain low price coupled with a string of excuses why you can't view it but must pay for it NOW, to avoid losing the bargain of a lieftime you've amazingly just found. The second indicator is often an odd location eg scotland or isle of wight plus poor command of English language.

MtB

P.S. One scammer a few weeks ago even came on here defending hereself and accusing us of racism as we picked apart the inconsistencies and showed up the lies in her advert. Have a search!

I remember her.

I actually made an enquiry on Ebay by asking three basic questions just to see what the response would be.

If you remember she said something about the boat being inspected by an expert and not needing a survey.

So my questions where, would I be able to look at the boat first ?

would I be able to get a survey of my own done ?

And finally will I be able to see relevant paper work for the boat.

The reply I got was basically calling me a time waster for wanting a survey

I remember her.

I actually made an enquiry on Ebay by asking three basic questions just to see what the response would be.

If you remember she said something about the boat being inspected by an expert and not needing a survey.

So my questions where, would I be able to look at the boat first ?

would I be able to get a survey of my own done ?

And finally will I be able to see relevant paper work for the boat.

The reply I got was basically calling me a time waster for wanting a survey

This person has another boat on ebay at the moment.

The wording is very similar to her last ad.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi yes just to up date I am curently recieving emails from said Ellon women going by the name of Katherine Anna Palmer, who's husband just dies and is traumatized by a bad experience with some con men... laying it on thick...

I saw the boat advertized on Norbury wahrf web site and it seamed to good to be true and I though it must be just a share.. anyway as soon as I took the bate an emailed her, the add was removed and then the whole ebay scam began.. And I googled her and found this thread..

I wonder if anyone has called it into the police?

BW

GypsyRoseLea

My last email from her (him..?)

Hello,
After my last experience I'm not welcome visits any more, sorry. The best way to complete this transaction, because of the distance problem (I'm in Ellon in Scotland, the boat is also here with me), is to use eBay Money Back Guarantee. They will handle everything for both of us, including transportation and transfer of the boat papers to your name. You don't have to pay anything extra, the total price that you must pay for this boat is £9,800.

Here is how the transaction will go on:
-I will make a private eBay listing for you.
-You will have to click "buy it now", fill in the forms and follow the instructions.
-eBay will send you an invoice with all the transaction details and the payment instructions.
-You will have to secure the funds to eBay.
-After the funds will be secured to eBay, the delivery will begin and the boat will arrive to you in max. 48 hours.
-When the boat will be in your custody, you will have a 3 days inspection period. If everything is alright, the transaction ends and eBay will release the money to me. If there is something wrong with the boat, you will be fully refunded and I'll get my boat back too, without any extra fees.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I would need your ebay username so I can send you the link. I'm waiting for your reply.
Thank you.

Hi yes just to up date I am curently recieving emails from said Ellon women going by the name of Katherine Anna Palmer, who's husband just dies and is traumatized by a bad experience with some con men... laying it on thick...

I saw the boat advertized on Norbury wahrf web site and it seamed to good to be true and I though it must be just a share.. anyway as soon as I took the bate an emailed her, the add was removed and then the whole ebay scam began.. And I googled her and found this thread..

BW

GypsyRoseLea

Hello,

After my last experience I'm not welcome visits any more, sorry. The best way to complete this transaction, because of the distance problem (I'm in Ellon in Scotland, the boat is also here with me), is to use eBay Money Back Guarantee. They will handle everything for both of us, including transportation and transfer of the boat papers to your name. You don't have to pay anything extra, the total price that you must pay for this boat is £9,800.

-You will have to click "buy it now", fill in the forms and follow the instructions.

-eBay will send you an invoice with all the transaction details and the payment instructions.

-After the funds will be secured to eBay, the delivery will begin and the boat will arrive to you in max. 48 hours.

-When the boat will be in your custody, you will have a 3 days inspection period. If everything is alright, the transaction ends and eBay will release the money to me. If there is something wrong with the boat, you will be fully refunded and I'll get my boat back too, without any extra fees.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I would need your ebay username so I can send you the link. I'm waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

The police arent interested as it is a Nigerian scam.

How she has a narrowboat at Norbury and Ellon in Scotland at the same time is amazing, especially when (insome emails) it is also in an ebay warehouse.

She can deliver a narrowboat to you in 48 hours.......amazing, Tuckeys book weeks ahead.

Surely your crystal ball gives you some inclination that this spells disaster...

I worry about this too. We bought Iona through a broker, never meeting her previous owner. We were totally new to boating and were happy to part with our money in exchange for the boat and one piece of paper - a receipt from Harralls saying we'd paid them for the boat.

Since then Dave's done all the engine maintenance himself. I have kept all our licences and renewal notices, so I suppose they'd offer some comfort, but there's a complete blank paperwork wise from 1990 to 2008 and not a lot during our ownership.

Having known about Harrall in his various iterations over the years I would be worried about any piece of paper with his name on it.

• 3 weeks later...

And again!

From: Katherine Anna Palmer [mailto:anakatherine.palmer@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 December 2014 10:55
To: ***********
Subject: Re: Message from someone interested in your advert

Hello,

This boat its just perfect, Immaculate condition, no damages, once with the boat you will also get all the equipment my husband had, my current location is Elgin in Scotland. The final price is not negotiable: £7250. My husband died 2 months ago and I can't even use it because I don't have a driver's license. I had a buyer just 1 week ago but that person really scared me. He came with 2 friends and wanted to pay me with fake notes. I was lucky that my father in law was close and noticed that. Since I'm getting a lot of messages regarding the sale, I decided to list it on eBay with a buy it now option and whoever wins it will be the next owner. I assume you already have an eBay account. If not, please register and let me know when you are ready so I can email you the link. If you'd like to secure the deal before anybody else does, then please buy it on eBay. Feel free to ask me any

questions.

Thanks

and then....

Hello,

After my last experience I'm not welcome visits any more, sorry. The best way to complete this transaction, because of the distance problem (I'm in Elgin in Scotland, the boat is also here with me), is to use eBay Money Back Guarantee. They will handle everything for both of us, including transportation and transfer of the boat papers to your name. You don't have to pay anything extra, the total price that you must pay for this boat is £7,250.

Thank you.

Reported to Action Fraud, plus to Ebay....apparently suspect sent an ebay link to my girlfriend who was in contact with her, and on the ebay link she spoke to a live agent who said that it is a fully legit private listing.

Take care

GypsyRoseLea

Welcome, Rose.

Do you still moor at Springwood Haven? I remember Romany Rye (I can't imagine that there are two boats with such an unusual name) arriving there, brand new I think, when we used to moor at the marina.

Having known about Harrall in his various iterations over the years I would be worried about any piece of paper with his name on it.

That's all I had from him too, and I was quite pleased with the boat which I bought from him (or rather his brokerage, as I did not meet him personally) five years ago. My only gripe was that I asked them if they would empty the porta-potti before delivering the boat, and they forgot to.

Maybe she keeps marrying sugar-daddies with narrowboats, and is particularly lively in the sack, thus inducing a string of cardiac issues in her spouses?

Would be a great plot for Midsomer Murders. Don't think they've done one with narrowboats!

BW

GypsyRoseLea

Hello,

Thank you.

Not only boats...........cars to...........Friday Ad

Same M.O. as above and transaction details, avoids direct questions about item, only it's her Mother who has past on...............probably turning in her grave.

Slipped up when they couldn't tell me where the boat, yes boat was located when asked where the car was for a viewing., as Shiply's had it ready to deliver.

Just thought would share this with you lot.

cool.png