Suitcase generator

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Yes, as I understand it, they ran it in the boat with the exhaust facing an open side door. I'm talking about a fitted exhaust directly outside similar to the engine. If blocked/restricted the engine would stop

Not that one, they extend the exhaust using that flexible exhaust stuff which came away.

Is it possible to fit a petrol engined genny in a boat and still get a BSS pass?

Bob

Might be safer if a secure ventilated steel locker is built into/onto the side of the boat with comparable vent/drain arrangements to a gas locker, so the genny is effectively sealed from the interior.

As well as exhaust leaks, petrol leaks and fire are possible problems.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I finally got a quote on delivery of the generator from one of the suppliers. to Felixstowe port, England it's US$30/cbm. She said a cbm is two 5kw generators. They'll ship a single one and I suppose the cost would probably be about the same. That's less than 20 quid, which is pretty darn cheap.

The price, if I recall, was FOB some port in China. Shipping is only a small part of the landed cost. There is then insurance, shipping agent's fees, customs duties, VAT (at 20% on all the aforementioned) and the cost of delivery within the UK. There is probably also a charge for paying the VAT.

Strangely, you have obtained a shipping cost without establishing what the price for a single unit will be.

Then there is the question of guarantees, spare parts, servicing, etc.

And all this in response to a question about running a washing machine from a suitcase (ie portable) generator.

George, lighten up. There's nothing to be gained by jumping all over me, besides, I often bite back.

If every thread on this forum stayed strictly on subject I'd would be completely chagrined by straying off course. As it is, you're just being incorrigible for no good reason.

I happened to be looking at generators when this subject came up and so I posted some information I had that I thought might be of interest to someone. I'm not selling the generators, so there's nothing in this for me other than just sharing the information.

I'm sure that if someone on this forum decided to buy one of these generators they would get all of the complete details before ordering.

I did, in fact, establish what the price would be for one unit, and I posted it in this thread. If you have difficulty reading simple English.... Well, I won't finish that because I've been told I sometimes get hostile, but, ya know, there's no need to make the kind of post you made here. I don't try to find fault with your posts, how about you extend the same courtesy to me? If you want to supplement the information I've provided, go for it. But be a gentleman when you do so, okay. Being obnoxious impresses no one!

George, lighten up. There's nothing to be gained by jumping all over me, besides, I often bite back.

If every thread on this forum stayed strictly on subject I'd would be completely chagrined by straying off course. As it is, you're just being incorrigible for no good reason.

I happened to be looking at generators when this subject came up and so I posted some information I had that I thought might be of interest to someone. I'm not selling the generators, so there's nothing in this for me other than just sharing the information.

I'm sure that if someone on this forum decided to buy one of these generators they would get all of the complete details before ordering.

I did, in fact, establish what the price would be for one unit, and I posted it in this thread. If you have difficulty reading simple English.... Well, I won't finish that because I've been told I sometimes get hostile, but, ya know, there's no need to make the kind of post you made here. I don't try to find fault with your posts, how about you extend the same courtesy to me? If you want to supplement the information I've provided, go for it. But be a gentleman when you do so, okay. Being obnoxious impresses no one!

I am never hostile without good reason. If you want courtesy, try being courteous yourself, and you'll get courtesy back

BTW, I note you are on the side of the "robust debaters" in another thread. By their friends, ye shall know them.

I am never hostile without good reason. If you want courtesy, try being courteous yourself, and you'll get courtesy back

BTW, I note you are on the side of the "robust debaters" in another thread. By their friends, ye shall know them.

ROFL - Your xenophobia doesn't constitute good reason. I think your inherent insignificance is getting the better of you. Feelings of inadequacy can do that to a person.

As far as what I said on the other thread, obviously reading for comprehension is not one of your strong points as you have totally misconstrued what I said.

ROFL - Your xenophobia doesn't constitute good reason. I think your inherent insignificance is getting the better of you. Feelings of inadequacy can do that to a person.

As far as what I said on the other thread, obviously reading for comprehension is not one of your strong points as you have totally misconstrued what I said.

Lacking an argument, you resort to abuse.

To get back on topic, I've done a conversion on a petrol generator (purchased cheaply due to a blown engine), removed the engine and getting a pulley machined to run the genny off an extra long alternator v belt. 2 years on it's still pushing 110/230 every day quite happily.

Lee.

Sounds like a good solution for those with the necessary skills.