Suitcase generator

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

A quote from the email I received from the manufacturer.

There is spec sheet about halfway down the page I linked. I don't know why the big difference between 50hz and 60hz. Usually it's only a few hundred rpm. Maybe the use a completely different generator for European specs. UK is 50 hz, isn't it?

But in your original post you said 1500 rpm. Just pointing it out in case you hadn't spotted the mistake.

Bob

Edited by lyraboat

But in your original post you said 1500 rpm. Just pointing it out in case you hadn't spotted the mistake.

Bob

It's not a mistake. 1500 rpm is for their 50hz model. UK electricity is 50 hz.

US is 60hz and for 60hz the rpms are 3000, but no one on this thread is interested in a 120V 60hz generator, you would be interested in a 230V 50 hz generator and for that it is 1500rpm.

The link I posted does indeed say 3000 rpm, but the link is for a US model. I requested a spec sheet for a European model also and that's where I got the 1500 rpm. The spec sheet is a pdf document. If you're interested, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Paul

If the OP has a combi like a Victron then the charge rate will adapt to the power available, can also provide extra power (from the batteries) if the genny or shoreline if needed.

But he doesn't wink.png - see his post #9 - its a Sterling Combi QSW, the inverter of which probably wouldn't run the washing machine.

It's not a mistake. 1500 rpm is for their 50hz model. UK electricity is 50 hz.

US is 60hz and for 60hz the rpms are 3000, but no one on this thread is interested in a 120V 60hz generator, you would be interested in a 230V 50 hz generator and for that it is 1500rpm.

The link I posted does indeed say 3000 rpm, but the link is for a US model. I requested a spec sheet for a European model also and that's where I got the 1500 rpm. The spec sheet is a pdf document. If you're interested, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Paul

Sounds a great price, be interesting how you get on with it

What was the db levels again please

Col

A quote from the email I received from the manufacturer.

There is spec sheet about halfway down the page I linked. I don't know why the big difference between 50hz and 60hz. Usually it's only a few hundred rpm. Maybe the use a completely different generator for European specs. UK is 50 hz, isn't it?

A fixed speed generator has a number of magnetic poles (negative and positive) that rotate to produce the electric, if you increase the speed you increase the frequency, but if you double the number of poles you half the speed of the engine for the same frequency.

So....

A generator will run at either 3000rpm for 50hz or 3600rpm for 60hz and has 2 magnetic poles (1 neg, 1 pos)

A generator will run at either 1500rpm for 50hz or 1800rpm for 60hz and has 4 magnetic poles (2 neg, 2 pos)

If you think about it further ...

50 hz means 50 times a second, times this by 60 to get how many a minute? Yep 3000.

So yes a 1500 rpm genny is completely different to a 3000 one, so I think you've just been misquoted on the spec. The 1500 one will cost quite a bit more!

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

I'm thinking of ordering one of these

5kva pure sine wave electric start silent diesel for £345

950mm x 560mm x 760mm (37.4" x 22" x 30" in real money) Rated 4.6kW continuous (with power factor of 1 so probably more like around continuous of 3.7kW if you want to be nice to it.) 230V 50hz @ 1500 rpm. + £10 to make it 3 phase.

I requested shipping cost just this morning and asked about shipping to UK too so I'll update when I know shipping cost, if anyone is interested.

I have no financial interest in this company, just passing along the info. I'm probably going to order one for home to see if it's good enough to put in a barge.

At 155kg net weight that's some suitcase! :-)

Sounds a great price, be interesting how you get on with it

What was the db levels again please

Col

Obviously Ken got to that question before I did.

A fixed speed generator has a number of magnetic poles (negative and positive) that rotate to produce the electric, if you increase the speed you increase the frequency, but if you double the number of poles you half the speed of the engine for the same frequency.

So....

A generator will run at either 3000rpm for 50hz or 3600rpm for 60hz and has 2 magnetic poles (1 neg, 1 pos)

A generator will run at either 1500rpm for 50hz or 1800rpm for 60hz and has 4 magnetic poles (2 neg, 2 pos)

If you think about it further ...

50 hz means 50 times a second, times this by 60 to get how many a minute? Yep 3000.

So yes a 1500 rpm genny is completely different to a 3000 one, so I think you've just been misquoted on the spec. The 1500 one will cost quite a bit more!

Thanks for the explanation. In one place it says the 60hz is 3000 rpm, in another it says 3600, but it consistently says the 50hz is 1500 rpm. On the spec sheet they sent me, which is a pdf file, it definitely says the price for the 1500 rpm 50 hz model is US$560 (£343)

It's certainly not silent as suggested in their 'blurb'. 68-72db at 7metres! The Honda eu20i is quoted as 52 db @ 7 metres.

Ken

Many Chinese don't have a real close relationship with the English language, and many times they use words based on what they see rather than definition. I think in this case they are using silent when they should have said enclosed. Below is an interesting blurb from their website. I think maybe they are saying they will use more foam insulation to make the genny quieter, but it's really hard to tell exactly what they mean. Number 6) is particularly interesting. It's almost like they just picked words at random and threw them together.

1.The power of the 5kva small generator is use the compressed air,with the short time,the foam is the independent mesh bubble,and it is with rich foam, fine and large quantity.and the capacity can reach 30-40m³

2.The weight of 5kva small generator is light,it is convenient to move or hang to floor for construction

3. 5kva small generator is easy to operate, the bubble can be produced as switched on

4.The foam is exquisite even as the cheese,All kinds of foaming agent both at home and abroad can be used

5.The power of Portable small generator can be adjusted based on customer request,and reduce the noise, reduce the dosage of the foaming agent, and can reduce power consumption

6.It is widely used in:foamed concrete cut into parts, light wall space, fire prevention door plank core chlorine magnesium oxide and glassy magnesium foamed cement production line of the environmental protection such as composite duct foaming auxiliary equipment,and with the character of large amount of foam, use convenient, etc.

I'm tempted to run down to the local pot shop and get some really good ganja to smoke and see if maybe that helps with understanding # 6).

Thanks for the explanation. In one place it says the 60hz is 3000 rpm, in another it says 3600, but it consistently says the 50hz is 1500 rpm. On the spec sheet they sent me, which is a pdf file, it definitely says the price for the 1500 rpm 50 hz model is US$560 (£343)

Does it say the model number? All the ones you've linked too are 3000/3600rpm models.

I'm not sure they're retailing it - it looks like it might be a wholesaler. Have you checked this aspect?

Yes. They will sell one as a sample/test unit for the wholesale price. After the first unit they want you to buy five at a time.

There is another Chinese mfg. with an almost identical unit for $560 (£343) for a sample, $500 (£306) for a 40' container full (156 units)

I asked for shipping costs to California and the UK. I'll update once I hear back from the guy. (It's a holiday in China right now, will be for a few more days.)

edited for spalling

Edited by Paul G2

IN case it helps the OP: I have this washing machine, a Hoover Nextra:http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/hnt6414/hoover-hnt6414-freestanding-washing-machine

I run it with a Clarke generator: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-ig2200-2-2kw-inverter-generator which I bought on this forum.

It works fine.

Edited by Dave_P

I finally got a quote on delivery of the generator from one of the suppliers. to Felixstowe port, England it's US$30/cbm. She said a cbm is two 5kw generators. They'll ship a single one and I suppose the cost would probably be about the same. That's less than 20 quid, which is pretty darn cheap.

Has anyone made or fitted an exhaust hose/pipe so that the genny can run in the boat (engine room). I've seen pics before but wonder if it's suitable for all makes/models with regards to a great enough flow of the exhaust gases?

This has been discussed before. If the manufacturers suggest their generator can be fitted internally with suitable external exhaust and possibly other services then yes it can be, and so conform to BSS otherwise no. Suitcase generators do not fall into this category.

Has anyone made or fitted an exhaust hose/pipe so that the genny can run in the boat (engine room). I've seen pics before but wonder if it's suitable for all makes/models with regards to a great enough flow of the exhaust gases?

Sadly someone did this with something like a small Honda eu10/20. They are no longer with us, so do do it right.

This has been discussed before. If the manufacturers suggest their generator can be fitted internally with suitable external exhaust and possibly other services then yes it can be, and so conform to BSS otherwise no. Suitcase generators do not fall into this category.

Is it possible to fit a petrol engined genny in a boat and still get a BSS pass?

Bob

Hi,

I think this answers the question and the assumption is that when in use the gen set would not be on board or left unattended

If fuel or gas escape into your boat from your portable engine or generator there could be a serious risk of a fire or explosion. To reduce this risk all portable LPG/petrol internal combustion engines/generators with integral fuel tanks must be stored in accordance with the requirements of Standards 7.2 through to 7.8 when they are not in use, e.g. in a fire-resistant drained locker. This will help ensure that any escaping fuel or fuel vapours drain overboard, rather than into the boat.

However folk will always do as they want

Ray