Art On The Canals

nine9feet

Featured Posts

In recent years items described as art have popped up all over the waterways, including poetry on lock beams and oop north the Kelpies, various types of sculpture and those mainly colourful murals under bridges and on walls.

According to a Telegraph article it seems we can expect much more in the future, especially as the intention is two cover everywhere twice (5000 miles!) :-)

Extract:

"Down on the towpath, Up And A Wave is just one of a burgeoning and eclectic range of on-the-water offerings around Britain’s 5,000 miles of canals that are, some claim, fast transforming them into the country’s largest arts venue."

Article : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/outdoors/outdoor-activities/11055072/From-art-shows-to-films-our-canals-are-awash-with-culture.html

I'm on the G&S, and I absolutely love the industrial architecture of the Gloucester Docks. Its a big part of why I stayed here. But - on one of the new bridges there is an excellent painting of Einstein, done with spray cans. I love that too. I'd hate to see it on the beautiful original dock warehouses, but personally I don't like the look of the new bridges, so think the painting improves it.

It's all relative (excuse the pun). I think modern art is bloody awful, but I love to look at the Cistine Chapel. All comes down to your personal taste I reckon.

I'm on the G&S, and I absolutely love the industrial architecture of the Gloucester Docks. Its a big part of why I stayed here. But - on one of the new bridges there is an excellent painting of Einstein, done with spray cans. I love that too. I'd hate to see it on the beautiful original dock warehouses, but personally I don't like the look of the new bridges, so think the painting improves it.

It's all relative (excuse the pun). I think modern art is bloody awful, but I love to look at the Cistine Chapel. All comes down to your personal taste I reckon.

. Hi there was just wondering have you been out on the Severn yet I thought once the deal was done on your boat you were back off to the midlands ? With regard to the canal art I do think it's nice but would rather see the money spent on lock gates or dredging than giant horses heads or upside down trees if it's not being paid for with our licence money I think it will bring more none boaters onto the towpaths and hopefully add more indirect money to the kitty

The beauty is in the industrial heritage and architecture complete with the wonders of nature.

All this so called art is just overpriced unnecessary junk.

Well said. One mans art is another mans wind up.

. Hi there was just wondering have you been out on the Severn yet I thought once the deal was done on your boat you were back off to the midlands ?

I was, but have got a bit of temporary work so hanging around for a bit. Plus I actually really like the area so may stay for a while yet :)

I was, but have got a bit of temporary work so hanging around for a bit. Plus I actually really like the area so may stay for a while yet :)

. You may have to stay awhile once the rain comes as the river is,nt a place to go in winter ,but the g&s is a great place to get used to your boat lots of room all the bridges are manned and there are no locks. Plus frampton on Severn is one of the nicest villages in my opinion and the mums home made pie,s in the three horse shoes is a national treasure

Well said. One mans art is another mans wind up.

very true, I loved the stark beauty of steel works in Corby, most people told me they hated it.

The viaduct that crosses the valley near Uppingham I told my mum I loved every time we drove down...she had a painting commissioned for me but hated it herself.

Some Graffiti I think has beauty. i would like to see more grey dull walls transformed into another's fantasy art wise.

rubbish speller!

Edited by patty-ann

Some Graffiti I think has beauty. i would like to see more grey dull walls transformed into another's fantasy art wise.

rubbish speller!

Was it you who graffitied the beautiful Brunel railway viaduct under which the M25 passes in West London?

It says "GIVE PEAS A CHANCE" in four foot high letters on the parapet where thousands of motorists see it every day :)

I imagine they meant to recreate John Lennon's slogan 'Give peace a chance' but couldn't spell. Other times I think they spelled in wrong on purpose.

I call it the peas bridge these days...

MtB

Was it you who graffitied the beautiful Brunel railway viaduct under which the M25 passes in West London?

It says "GIVE PEAS A CHANCE" in four foot high letters on the parapet where thousands of motorists see it every day smile.png

I imagine they meant to recreate John Lennon's slogan 'Give peace a chance' but couldn't spell. Other times I think they spelled in wrong on purpose.

I call it the peas bridge these days...

MtB

I prefer my sig.