Maps of the canal network

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I am doing a talk on canals and rivers next year, and as well as lots of photos of the trip concerned (Oxford to Cambridge) I would like to include some simple and fairly clear maps of the inland waterway network in England, ideally several at key dates (1790, 1830, 1950, today for example). Many of the maps I have seen in talks have been rather poor scans of rather over-cluttered maps. Ideally I would just like lines showing the canals & rivers themselves, and I can add place names as I need them.

Does anyone have access to such maps? PDF or JPG format would be easiest, but all reasonable alternatives considered. I am very happy to make a donation to a suitable good cause in return.

Many thanks

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I am doing a talk on canals and rivers next year, and as well as lots of photos of the trip concerned (Oxford to Cambridge) I would like to include some simple and fairly clear maps of the inland waterway network in England, ideally several at key dates (1790, 1830, 1950, today for example). Many of the maps I have seen in talks have been rather poor scans of rather over-cluttered maps. Ideally I would just like lines showing the canals & rivers themselves, and I can add place names as I need them.

Does anyone have access to such maps? PDF or JPG format would be easiest, but all reasonable alternatives considered. I am very happy to make a donation to a suitable good cause in return.

Many thanks

These should help:

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/history/menu-decades.htm

Tim

In order to find suitable maps can it be possible to show route from Oxford to Cambridge by water, apart from Thames and coastal waters, what other route was contemplated for example Oxford, Coventry, Trent & Mersey, Trent, Fossdyke, Witham, Wash, Ouse, Cam. Is this wahat is required/

Ray Shill

Attached inside the back cover of the following book,is the clearest map of the inland waterways that I am aware of."Inland Waterways of Great Britain",by L.A.Edwards Published by Imray,Laurie,Norrie and Willson

I have 'Holiday Cruising on the Broads and Fens' by L A Edwards. Published 1972.

Its one of my fave books.

The map in the back is Stanford's Norfolk Broads and Rivers - clear conscise and much nicer than a digitally reproduced horror with way too much info :-)