JP3 injector pump oil

sassan

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Got a bit of a squeak (minor). Think it's coming from the alternator, but hard to tell without taking off the belt so I had a quick look at the injector pump oil level to be safe. Think it needs topping up, so I'll probably take the opportunity to change it.

Probably should have changed it when servicing this winter, but it slipped my mind.

Have been searching for what oil to use and the only advice I can find is to use the same oil as the engine, in my case Morris Golden Film SAE30.

This presents the problem of how to get it, there are 3 options:

• Take some out of the main oil tank. - problem being it's not particularly pure in there (now far from golden), being mixed with some of whatever oil was used previously (I was advised to only pump out the tank).
  • Order some. - The obvious solution, except that I'm off on my travels at the moment and would have a bugger of a job getting it delivered.
  • Use some modern oil from a local garage/chandlery - which leads to my question: Is it as important to use the right oil in the pump as it is for the engine itself? If it's ok to use a modern oil, what should I use?

Thanks in advance,

Sass

Just a slight off topic post but how do you add the oil to the valve gear and push rods if you don't have any spare oil?....I'm not trying to be clever...just checking that you do know you have to manually put oil round the valves and the cups on the push rod tubes as well as grease the rocker shafts.

Don't be afraid to ask questions...happy to help with any more.

One thing I would say would be to suck out any old liquid in the injector pump as they can leak diesel into the sumps which isn't a great lubricant. That way you can start fresh knowing what's in there. Just top up to the level shown on the dipstick in the pump...mine takes about 20 squirts from an oil can...so not a lot.

Cheers

Gareth

One thing I would say would be to suck out any old liquid in the injector pump as they can leak diesel into the sumps which isn't a great lubricant. That way you can start fresh knowing what's in there. Just top up to the level shown on the dipstick in the pump...mine takes about 20 squirts from an oil can...so not a lot

Done

Just a slight off topic post but how do you add the oil to the valve gear and push rods if you don't have any spare oil?....I'm not trying to be clever...just checking that you do know you have to manually put oil round the valves and the cups on the push rod tubes as well as grease the rocker shafts.

This is the first I've heard of this, I've never been told to manually lubricate anything. Do the lubrication systems vary between models and installations? I vaguely recall the previous owner mentioning the lack of manual greasers.

Doesn't appear to have cured my squeak, so I'll give a little more information:

* Fairly quiet squeak, only audible at fairly low RPM.

* Seems to be coming very much from the front (bow) end of things.

* Could be 12V alternator, had problems with that sticking before. Hands aren't quite flexible enough to get in there to move it to remove the belt, which would prove/disprove this. Might try harder later.

* Rate at which the squeak occurs (about once every 2 cycles of flywheel) would be more consistent with fuel pump, cam shaft, etc than with alternator.

* The sound feels (to my untrained ears) more like something rotating than something moving back and forth (eg: piston)

Hmmm...I'm a bit concerned about the top end lube on your engine!

It may have been converted to JK spec and have forced lube to the valve gear but this isn't that common a mod....have you ever taken the rocker covers off the engine?....just undo the single nut on the top of each head and the covers will lift off....then take some pics and put them here or send me a PM and I will send you my email to send them to so we can see what you need to be putting oil/grease around.

Do you have an instruction manual for the engine at all

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add

I will take some pics of my engine tomorrow so you can see if yours is the same...also will try and point out what bits to lube.

Edited by frangar

Hmmm...I'm a bit concerned about the top end lube on your engine!

It may have been converted to JK spec and have forced lube to the valve gear but this isn't that common a mod....have you ever taken the rocker covers off the engine?....just undo the single nut on the top of each head and the covers will lift off....then take some pics and put them here or send me a PM and I will send you my email to send them to so we can see what you need to be putting oil/grease around.

Do you have an instruction manual for the engine at all

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add

I will take some pics of my engine tomorrow so you can see if yours is the same...also will try and point out what bits to lube.

Engine has been converted to JK spec so doesnt need the manual filling with oil and greasing of rocker shafts that standard JP's do (Sassan, you will see small bore copper pipes into the sides of the heads which is the oil feed that isnt there on the JP spec, they have greasers). But it will need a drop of oil in the tops of the pushrods every now and then so would do that as it may be the cause of your squeek.

Engine has been converted to JK spec so doesnt need the manual filling with oil and greasing of rocker shafts that standard JP's do (Sassan, you will see small bore copper pipes into the sides of the heads which is the oil feed that isnt there on the JP spec, they have greasers). But it will need a drop of oil in the tops of the pushrods every now and then so would do that as it may be the cause of your squeek.

Thanks, will do so before travelling on Tuesday. Will reply with the result afterwards.

A definition of a "drop" would be helpful though :)

Thanks Martyn and Geoff, who regularly save my bacon! And thanks to Frangar for your efforts too!

Thanks, will do so before travelling on Tuesday. Will reply with the result afterwards.

A definition of a "drop" would be helpful though smile.png

Thanks Martyn and Geoff, who regularly save my bacon! And thanks to Frangar for your efforts too!

the little cups in the top of the pushrods are very small so 2 maybe 3 squirts of the oil can should be all you need.

I did wonder if it had been....better to be safe than sorry!...take it you guys did the rebuild then??

Cheers

Gareth