H and R Ainscoughs boats in Burscough over the bank holiday weekend

Capt Col

Featured Posts

Barging about on a Bank holiday

Over the forthcoming bank holiday weekend, the 23rd to 25th August everyone is invited to visit The Old Stables in Mill Lane on the banks of the Leeds and Liverpool canal in Burscough to discover pieces of Burscough’s unique history that has recently retuned to the village.

The H and R Ainscoughs Barge society are holding open days to allow the public to view the two unique old working barges that where used to carry imported grain to Burscough and Parbold Mills.

The society has recently established a base in the old stables and over the weekend will be offering people the chance to find out about the work needed to restore “Ambush” and “Victoria” to there former glory, along with displays of local heritage and historical photo’s from Michael Dawson, and the Burscough Heritage group, along with a display of canal art by Trish Moran.

“Ambush” and “Viktoria” are the last locally owned boats from a fleet that are the largest craft that can be seen today on the inland non tidal waterways of the country being 72ft long and 14ft wide.

All welcome to drop into this free event which runs from 10.30 to 4.30 each day.

Colin, H and R Ainscough's Barge Society press person

Where does Viktoria normally live? I'm on my way oop north and would like to see it as my boat was built inside it when it was being used as a floating dry dock?

Viktoria as far as I am aware is being restored by Derek Bent at Crooke. Derek also operates Ambush as a coal and diesel on the section of L& L from Leigh Branch west towards Liverpool. Derek is also a top guy

Viktoria as far as I am aware is being restored by Derek Bent at Crooke. Derek also operates Ambush as a coal and diesel on the section of L& L from Leigh Branch west towards Liverpool. Derek is also a top guy

Whilst Viktoria and Ambush are still owned by Derek, who we agree is a top guy, the society has been formed to help restore Viktoria and Ambush. Ambush is as you say still on a regular coal and diesel run on the west end of the L and L.

Viktoria is currently moored in Burscough, outside the old stables where Derek and the society have opened a fledgling chandlery to provide a service to local and passing boaters and raise money for the restoration work.

Whilst Viktoria and Ambush are still owned by Derek, who we agree is a top guy, the society has been formed to help restore Viktoria and Ambush. Ambush is as you say still on a regular coal and diesel run on the west end of the L and L.

Viktoria is currently moored in Burscough, outside the old stables where Derek and the society have opened a fledgling chandlery to provide a service to local and passing boaters and raise money for the restoration work.

Great I will be taking winter moorings in Rufford so will drop in and say hello and would certainly be happy to get involved if required is that in the restored building on the off side?

Didn'tknow about the chandlery, will take a look.

Where does Viktoria normally live? I'm on my way oop north and would like to see it as my boat was built inside it when it was being used as a floating dry dock?

Fascinates me that they built boats inside Viktoria's hold. I understand that a tidy looking boat called Anna was also built inside of Viktoria.

Fascinates me that they built boats inside Viktoria's hold. I understand that a tidy looking boat called Anna was also built inside of Viktoria.

Here are a photo of ALBION being built and another of the boat being transported to its launch. Both inside Viktoria. There is a photo somewhere on this forum of ANNA being built also I think.

(Photos are from forum member Pluto, who I believe has them from Roger Lorenz's personal collection)

10867787084_12e184e911_b-2_zpskninqisl.j

10868434793_6531d20f05_b-2_zpsdcuf6qnp.j

Here are a photo of ALBION being built and another of the boat being transported to its launch. Both inside Viktoria. There is a photo somewhere on this forum of ANNA being built also I think.

(Photos are from forum member Pluto, who I believe has them from Roger Lorenz's personal collection)

10867787084_12e184e911_b-2_zpskninqisl.j

10868434793_6531d20f05_b-2_zpsdcuf6qnp.j

Superb. thanks fpr posting them ;)

I really would be interested to know where and the names I know some that do non tidal rivers as part of doing tidal rivers but am certainly no expert

There are several ex Bridgewater Kelloggs boats on inland waterways, the traffic that they were built for being very similar to the Ainscough boats. Both worked regularly into the Mersey, as did the Canal Transport boats off the L&LC. Wey barges were also similar in size.

Edited to say that Kelloggs boats were slightly larger than Ainscoughs, and deeper.

Edited by Pluto

(Photos are from forum member Pluto, who I believe has them from Roger Lorenz's personal collection)10867787084_12e184e911_b-2_zpskninqisl.j10868434793_6531d20f05_b-2_zpsdcuf6qnp.j

Superb pics :-))

I'll show them to Derek next time I see him.

Is the first pic Lorenz's yard in Leigh? It looks like it.

Although I haven't done the introduction thing yet, I thought I'd jump in here with a bit of a reply!

Yes Cloudinspector, that looks very much like Roger Lorenz's yard at Leigh. It hasn't changed much over the years but they have now built a dreadful, huge Tesco next to it,

Here is the Duker, Parbella on the line outside the yard:-

P6230002_zps05376e15.jpg

P6230001_zpsc86da33a.jpg

We used to acll Ian Curtis "Hammy" because he always used to wear a brown sports jacket, trousers and shoes to school and his cheeks were always a bit puffed out! He didn't mind though. Ian was a very intelligent young man and I always got on well with him.

Hope my pictures workninja.gif

Edited by AN jo

Although I haven't done the introduction thing yet, I thought I'd jump in here with a bit of a reply!

Yes Cloudinspector, that looks very much like Roger Lorenz's yard at Leigh. It hasn't changed much over the years but they have now built a dreadful, huge Tesco next to it,

Here is the Duker, Parbella on the line outside the yard:-

It is actually Paul Lorenz's yard, Roger working from the one at Barton.

Derek is indeed, one of the unsung heroes of the L&L Canal. A fine boatman, he is probably the last Leeds & Liverpool boatman to carry general cargoes on the canal with his short boat 'Weaver'. He must surely have taken the last loaded boat across the summit in August and September 1978: 40 tonnes of grain screenings from Liverpool to Selby and then 30 tonnes of herring meal from Selby to Manchester. On that last trip he passed 'Irwell' loaded with 45 tonnes of sludge (Esholt to Leeds) on 9th September - which may have been the last time two loaded short boats passed each other on that canal. Those were the days!

David L

Derek is indeed, one of the unsung heroes of the L&L Canal. A fine boatman, he is probably the last Leeds & Liverpool boatman to carry general cargoes on the canal with his short boat 'Weaver'. He must surely have taken the last loaded boat across the summit in August and September 1978: 40 tonnes of grain screenings from Liverpool to Selby and then 30 tonnes of herring meal from Selby to Manchester. On that last trip he passed 'Irwell' loaded with 45 tonnes of sludge (Esholt to Leeds) on 9th September - which may have been the last time two loaded short boats passed each other on that canal. Those were the days!

David L

We moor next to Derek over the winter at Crooke and I love listening to his tales of days gone by. I'm really interested in local canal history and Derek is great source of information.