Scratches in acrylic paint available online in my colour?

Featured Posts

My lovely new paintwork now has that 'lived-in' look. A couple of scratches right back to the steel.

The paintwork is Midnight / Duchess Blue, BS 20-C-40, Lechler Acritop. I've spent a little time looking online but I can't find the right colour and chemistry. Have I chosen a really obscure colour?

Where can I buy compatible paint online? Ideally looking for a small tin as it's only for touching up scratches?

Thanks!

How old is your "new" paintwork as it will start to fade from the day the sun first shone upon it!

Why do you need to buy online? The BS code you have will be the colour but it may be called many different things depending who is selling it. Also when viewed on a screen it will not look true. Different screens have different resolutions and settings and no two screens will ever show exactly the same colour.

You will find a local car paint merchants will be able to mix you some to order - if you are uncertain about how much it may have faded then is there some small part you can unscrew and take it to them - something like a bracket for example?

3 weeks new! If it's faded in that time I haven't noticed it!

Online because I don't necessarily have access to a car, it's easier to get things delivered, and I know exactly what colour I want.

Can you not get some from the folk who painted your boat?

Thanks OldGoldy, but I was under the impression that Craftmaster didn't do British Standard colours? They have a 'midnight blue' but I don't think it's 20-C-40. At that price it's worth a gamble, I suppose!

I don't know much about paint, but I know that some paint systems aren't compatible. Would this be compatible with Lecher Acritop?

Craftmaster manufacture oil based paints, you say that yours are acrylic water based. Such a coating is rare on canal boats in my experience, most are still painted in oil based paint. Surely the folk who did the paint job could supply some touch up, many of the coach painters I work with supply small tins of the original colours for this purpose. I wouldn't mix water and oil based paints but if the scratches are down to bare metal I'd do something to seal the metal before rusting sets in. In any event, don't expect an invisible mend whatever paint you use - unnoticeable, probably, but not invisible!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks OldGoldy, but I was under the impression that Craftmaster didn't do British Standard colours? They have a 'midnight blue' but I don't think it's 20-C-40. At that price it's worth a gamble, I suppose!

I don't know much about paint, but I know that some paint systems aren't compatible. Would this be compatible with Lecher Acritop?

Custom colours:-

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/colours-custom.htm

You could ask them!

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/colours-custom.htm#questionBox

or...Colour comparison BS to RAL HERE

Edited by OldGoldy

Just re-read your original post. You say that the finish is acrylic, then say it's 2 pack. Which? Hard to help otherwise. The Craftmaster range is single pack oil based enamel,unless they have added other products to their range.

Dave

Just had a look at the website, the product is outside my experience, hopefully others can help.

Dave

My lovely new paintwork now has that 'lived-in' look. A couple of scratches right back to the steel.

The paintwork is Midnight / Duchess Blue, BS 20-C-40, Lechler Acritop. I've spent a little time looking online but I can't find the right colour and chemistry. Have I chosen a really obscure colour?

Where can I buy compatible paint online? Ideally looking for a small tin as it's only for touching up scratches?

Thanks!

These folks? (Linky)

20C40 is a standard colour and should be available off the shelf, or any trade paint supplier will be able to make it up for you.

I've no experience of your 2 pack acrylic. But no repair will be invisible. I would be minded to touch it up using oil-based gloss applied with a fine artists brush, so you just fill the scratch, and wipe off any paint from the surrounding undamaged surface.

Its 2 pack acrilic Rotherham refinishing are agents for lechlar you can get a spraycan made up which you could spray into the lid and then artist brush the scratches in. The match would be better and if in future you need a repaint their will be no compatibility problems. I sprayed my boat in single pack polyurathane which can be brushed with care

Peter

Think I'll have go to back to the builder and get some more information. Thanks for your help!

That is where I wouold have gone in the first place. When we had our boat painted two years ago, I asked the painter to leave all the paint left over from the job on the boat, which he did, plus a full tin of the main colour, because there wasn't much left in the tin.

I have used most of them already, and the colours are already different, but the touching up will fade in time , and still looks better than the alternative which is a rust spot!!

Edited by David Schweizer

That is where I wouold have gone in the first place.

Like I said before, he used two-pack paint, which wouldn't be suitable for brushing. His words were "talk to a local paint supplier and ask them for a paint that's compatible". He's not in the business of being a paint retailer.

You say that the finish is acrylic, then say it's 2 pack. Which? Hard to help otherwise.

According to the Lechler website it's a

Two-pack acrylic enamel with high appearance.

Why do you think it can't be both?

I honestly thought it would be a straightforward answer! I've written to a few paint companies and a few have said they'll sell me a touch-up pot made to the BS colour, and that cellulose seems to be compatible.

Thanks for your responses everyone!