Wanted source of specific brass pull handle

Albion

Featured Posts

I am looking to find a source for some brass handles to match/add to existing handles that I have on my barge.

This is exactly the style http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/nails-screws-fixings-hardware/furniture-hardware/cabinet_handles/-specificproducttype-new_orleans_pull/Brass-New-Orleans-Pull-Handle-12868898?skuId=13379602

but these are only 111 mm long and what I want to match the existing is about 180 mm long. So far, a couple of hours of browsing hasn't come up with anything except this B&Q link with the smaller version.

Any ideas/links gratefully accepted please.

Roger

I think your boat is Sagar - are they still going? They might know if they fitted it themselves.

Got an idea i've seen those in Uxbridge BC but they don't have a website with stock.

Midland swindlers?

I have them on my barge which is Pick well Arnold so maybe its a Yorkshire supplier for them?

"Fleur de Lys" pull handle?

Voila !!

http://www.pickardhardware.com/door-accessories-pull-handles-c-137_156.html?osCsid=f49298ef33b255faed6dcd05121c52c2

I think your boat is Sagar - are they still going? They might know if they fitted it themselves.

Got an idea i've seen those in Uxbridge BC but they don't have a website with stock.

Midland swindlers?

I have them on my barge which is Pick well Arnold so maybe its a Yorkshire supplier for them?

"Fleur de Lys" pull handle?

Voila !!

http://www.pickardhardware.com/door-accessories-pull-handles-c-137_156.html?osCsid=f49298ef33b255faed6dcd05121c52c2

That is certainly the best yet Magnetman. I'm still trying to convince myself that the side ears are as sharply pointed as the originals but at least it is the correct size. Thanks for that. It's a real PITA but I spent ages looking for one of the correct size searching under Fleur de Lys and Trefoil but with no joy. I did try Midland Swindlers as well.

No, Sagar closed down in 2011/12. My boat was the last pre-ordered boat built (delivered in summer 2010). They started another after mine, building it on spec, which was eventually bought at shell stage by a private buyer and completed to their specification. Then they started another but a buyer wasn't forthcoming so Steven Sagar himself bought it and it is now in France. They closed the business down, paid all their suppliers, sold all their equipment etc and closed the door on the rented building. Shame as they are good boats but at least they closed down honourably with no debts and no Ltd company folding owing tens of thousands.

Cheers,

Roger

Edited to add. Pickard are only just down the road at Keighley so I'll pop in when I'm back in the UK. Perhaps I'll take one as a look alike to try to match it.

Edited by Albion

I've got these in 2 sizes on my boat which I got from Homebase years ago, the small one, identical to your link & this larger one still available at Homebase:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/diy/cabinet-handles/fleur-de-lys-door-handle---brass-562981

P.S. The dimensions quoted seem complete garbage, so better to check them out in your local store if they've got them.

Edited by Spuds

Very strange dimensions in the product description

Looking at the ones on my wheelhouse doors they do seem to have more pointed 'ears' as well.

I see what you mean now Albion :)

(If I have the same ones)

I've got these in 2 sizes on my boat which I got from Homebase years ago, the small one, identical to your link & this larger one still available at Homebase:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/diy/cabinet-handles/fleur-de-lys-door-handle---brass-562981

P.S. The dimensions quoted seem complete garbage, so better to check them out in your local store if they've got them.

Thanks Spuds, I had spotted those but the dimensions (those that make sense!) don't seem to match mine. Mine are 31 mm wide across the ears and that one is 34.5 mm. As that width dimension will be critical where I want to fit them I can't really accommodate much wider than the 31 mm.

Magnetman, thanks for that photo but it definitely isn't one of those as the ears are pointed on each end and symmetrical to boot.

Roger

Thanks Spuds, I had spotted those but the dimensions (those that make sense!) don't seem to match mine. Mine are 31 mm wide across the ears and that one is 34.5 mm. As that width dimension will be critical where I want to fit them I can't really accommodate much wider than the 31 mm.

Magnetman, thanks for that photo but it definitely isn't one of those as the ears are pointed on each end and symmetrical to boot.

Roger

Nothing to lose by directly comparing your handle with the one they stock in store though. You never know when you might strike lucky!

Good luck with the search, hope you find what you need & I also hope you won't be forced into the nuclear option - changing the whole chuffin lot!

Yeah, change them all is a solution but knowing my luck the fixing holes will be only ever so slightly the incorrect dimension so that you end up having to drill and plug hardwood to fit the second screw. I shall be taking one home with me and using it as a pattern at both places that look likely as, fortunately, they are both not too far from home.

Roger

Yeah, change them all is a solution but knowing my luck the fixing holes will be only ever so slightly the incorrect dimension so that you end up having to drill and plug hardwood to fit the second screw. I shall be taking one home with me and using it as a pattern at both places that look likely as, fortunately, they are both not too far from home.

Roger

But all the supplier links posted show a single screw each end, whereas yours have 3. So more chance of avoiding the existing screw holes if you have to replace, but less of getting a reasonable match.

Personally I like the look of yours better.

Sorry David the link I showed and the ones that I have on the boat are all one screw. Had it been otherwise then your thoughts would be perfectly valid.

Roger

Sorry. Looks like I confused your handles with Magnetman's. That's what comes of viewing the forum on a Blackberry! Edited by David Mack

Wow, if Magnetman wants any then they look just the job. I know what you mean about posting from a phone though as the forum told me it would not accept too many of my posts and to try again later. When I did it posted the same message twice which I then had to edit to prevent comments about echos etc. ;-)

Roger