mobile broadband: Three One Plan vs Three Mi-Fi

Paul C

Featured Posts

Any PAYG sim will work in the Huawei as they will in any other make, unless the Unit is locked to a phone provider, they usually are, they can be 'unlocked'

The multi connection (wi-fi) has nothing to do with the sim that is the units set up.

When sharing the connection it can make each connection slower, a bit like two or more taps sharing the same supply pipe

Edited by bottle

Any PAYG sim will work in the Huawei as they will in any other make, unless the Unit is locked to a phone provider, they usually are, they can be 'unlocked'

The multi connection (wi-fi) has nothing to do with the sim that is the units set up.

When sharing the connection it can make each connection slower, a bit like two or more taps sharing the same supply pipe

Needs to be a data SIM, a phone SIM doesn't work. Three does various SIM-only data PAYG packages, we're on the 12GB for 12 months at the moment but they do shorter times/less data options for less money.

Needs to be a data SIM, a phone SIM doesn't work. Three does various SIM-only data PAYG packages, we're on the 12GB for 12 months at the moment but they do shorter times/less data options for less money.

True but Crossworder was talking about a data sim, still clarification is always a good thing. smile.png

One point I discovered, from more than one source, was that phone SIMs get throttled for data between 15-00 hours and midnight, because that's when the kids are on, using mega amounts of data - perhaps all day in the holidays ! Being more "business" orientated, I went for the data SIM and didn't even consider the "phone" route...

Also, if you are never going to "stray" into a 4G region, whilst the 4G dongles / MiFis are backward compatible and will operate as 3G in 3G only zones, the 3G dongles are less expensive. In a year or so when 4G is more widely available, the prices will again tumble, and more advanced / better dongles will have become available...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

One point I discovered, from more than one source, was that phone SIMs get throttled for data between 15-00 hours and midnight, because that's when the kids are on, using mega amounts of data - perhaps all day in the holidays ! Being more "business" orientated, I went for the data SIM and didn't even consider the "phone" route...

Also, if you are never going to "stray" into a 4G region, whilst the 4G dongles / MiFis are backward compatible and will operate as 3G in 3G only zones, the 3G dongles are less expensive. In a year or so when 4G is more widely available, the prices will again tumble, and more advanced / better dongles will have become available...

Nick

There was another thread on the forum (can't remember which one) where a poster commented that (some) 4G mi-fis had really poor battery life too. For now, there doesn't seem much advantage in investing the extra for a 4G device.

Wow, that was quick! Sorry I was delayed, the dog took me out for a walk.

I am currently using a data only, monthly rolling contract SIM on "3", ( minimum of only one month) in a dongle, which gives me 10 Gb a month for £15 a month - If I moved to a 24 month contract, still at £15 a month they would apparently give me 20 Gb a month.

I have this dongle on a 5M USB cable, as the PC is on my desk and a better signal is received with it stuck on the window the other side of the room.

Recently I was getting "family complaints" that mine was the only PC in the house that was working, so I plugged in a wireless router and shared / bridged the connection, so now there is wireless ( and more CAT5) available for the others and their PCs and phones, and all are happy now...

Nick

That's good news. I was looking at "3" but it's difficult to decipher as there are so many options. I'll look for the monthly contract.

Thanks for clarifying that. I have read that when "tethering" the sim conditions must allow it. However I did suspect that with this scenario the "sharing" is downstream from the "Mi-Fi". The degradation in speed when sharing shouldn't be a problem as my usage is infinitesimal compared to my other half.

I'll make sure it's a data sim.

True but Crossworder was talking about a data sim, still clarification is always a good thing. smile.png

Nick

I wondered why they throttled down the bandwidth after a certain time. I guessed it would be to do with demand but obviously it will be the kids!

I did look at the area we will be travellling through and not much 4G is there yet. However I was looking at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Huawei-E5776s-32-Mobile-Hotspot/dp/B00B5SZHFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409472701&sr=8-1&keywords=huawei+e5776s-32#productDetails

At that price I thought I might as well.

Thanks to all for prompt replies.

Thanks for clarifying that. I have read that when "tethering" the sim conditions must allow it. However I did suspect that with this scenario the "sharing" is downstream from the "Mi-Fi". The degradation in speed when sharing shouldn't be a problem as my usage is infinitesimal compared to my other half.

True but that is when tethering a phone and not data dongles/wifi.

Whoops, sorry about the last post. Trying to use the Nexus but it defeated me!

I'm now going to go with

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5372-Mobile-Genuine-Stock-White/dp/B00IZBILM0/ref=dp_ob_title_ce#cm_cr_dpwidget

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huoshang-Directional-Booster-Antenna-Connector/dp/B00INTOI4Y/ref=pd_sim_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JJ3T8XX0BHN0QV8K7DP

probably with a 3 monthly data sim.

Thanks for all the help and I'll feedback on how it goes.

I am currently using a data only, monthly rolling contract SIM on "3", ( minimum of only one month) in a dongle, which gives me 10 Gb a month for £15 a month - If I moved to a 24 month contract, still at £15 a month they would apparently give me 20 Gb a month.

We have a monthly sim on the 10gb deal (and one that was an 18 month contract with 15gb but is now out of contract). Just looked on the Three website but cant find the 20gb / 24 month deal. Do you have a link to it or was it a shop deal?

3 one plan (even on the old contract) now uses some sort of IMEI database to enforce the 'phone only' bit of the contract. I used an obscure 3G router for years on the one plan until one day it was blocked. The only viable mobile contacts for high use internet I could find now are on EE business and are not cheap.

3 one plan (even on the old contract) now uses some sort of IMEI database to enforce the 'phone only' bit of the contract. I used an obscure 3G router for years on the one plan until one day it was blocked. The only viable mobile contacts for high use internet I could find now are on EE business and are not cheap.

When you say mobile, do you mean mobile phone, or mobile broadband?