Tesco mobile opinion

geoffwales

Featured Posts

Hi after points of view, i have a mobile with Tesco for nearly 3 years and recently in last 6 weeks no longer get reception at home.

They use O2 which up till then had been fine.

After complaining over the 6 weeks i found out from tesco that the local mast has an issue but O2 cannot gain access to fix. So are unlikely to give me a date when normal service will be resumed. Also (worryingly) on the O2 service status it says everything working properly and fine.

Tesco have finally concided to letting me cancel my contract but want to charge me for the mobile even though i said i dont want it and will return it to them.

Cant help feeling they have dimminshed the service and coverage to me but still want to charge for a phone i dont want. I think its unfair

Would i have a case to go to the ombudsman.

Vheers

Hi after points of view, i have a mobile with Tesco for nearly 3 years and recently in last 6 weeks no longer get reception at home.

They use O2 which up till then had been fine.

After complaining over the 6 weeks i found out from tesco that the local mast has an issue but O2 cannot gain access to fix. So are unlikely to give me a date when normal service will be resumed. Also (worryingly) on the O2 service status it says everything working properly and fine.

Tesco have finally concided to letting me cancel my contract but want to charge me for the mobile even though i said i dont want it and will return it to them.

Cant help feeling they have dimminshed the service and coverage to me but still want to charge for a phone i dont want. I think its unfair

Would i have a case to go to the ombudsman.

Vheers

They haven't really given you anything unless you have an exceptionally long contract agreement. Most are at the most 2 years long, so you could have pulled out anyway.

A used three year old phone (depending on make/model) is likely close to being worthless.

Sorry.

yes, they are not providing a service your contract agreed to. You don't say how long your present contract and phone has to run - but regardless - they are not delivering.

Therefore you can terminate and return phone. (which is probably locked to tescomobile anyway).

Otherwise, offer them a token gesture for the phone - and get it unlocked locally.

Contract has about a year to run

I guess you renewed after an initial 24 month contract, with another (probably cheaper) 24 month one?

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this! What matty40s says is in theory right, but in practice I've not heard of mobile phone providers cancelling for this reason.

When we moved from the Broads we had 3 contracts with Vodafone, 2 phones and a dongle. We could get no signal at all so got in touch with Vodafone and after a somewhat protracted phone call (from another location) going through various supervisors etc etc I got them to cancel all 3 contracts and retained both phones and the dongle at no cost to myself.

Dont let them bully you, they have failed in their contractual obligation so stand your ground>

Phil

Been with tesco 3 years in total, i renewed after 2 years for further two

If i can get out i have tried orange sim and get 75% on the signal as opposed to 0% with tesco, but the only network offering good coverage mins and text seems to be virgin who use tmobile and orange networks. Will keep you informed of tesco outcome.

I must say though upto this point i gave never had a problem with tesco

Moto g

Hmm, not the cheapest phone..

A quick google search turns up a few topics on a similar situation, worth a read:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=terminate+mobile+contract+early+no+signal

Gist of it seems to be if you're not happy make a official written complaint then take it up with ombudsman. If you can get signal from other providers and want to keep the phone, maybe make them a pro-rata offer on the cheapest retail price provided they will unlock for you.

They will have all sorts of small print but the ombudsman route is worth a try, but I doubt you'd get the phone free of charge.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Been with tesco 3 years in total, i renewed after 2 years for further two

If i can get out i have tried orange sim and get 75% on the signal as opposed to 0% with tesco, but the only network offering good coverage mins and text seems to be virgin who use tmobile and orange networks. Will keep you informed of tesco outcome.

I must say though upto this point i gave never had a problem with tesco

Did you get a new phone (the Moto G) when you renewed? Or is the Moto the one you got 3 yesrs ago?

Things are looking up, Tesco agreed to end my contract and also take the phone back without any early termination fees or charges for the mobile.

Have to say the lady i dealt with from the management team was fantastic and really helpfull. Also the returns team couldnt be more supportive, the only couple of sad parts is the first line of defence in the customer care team obviously read from a script and dont read the notes on the system before they start quoting the terms and conditions. So each call is always 10 mins of explenation where i was up to and who is doing what. Other sad part is i am leaving Tesco who i have to be honest and say their service up to this isue has been brilliant.

I like dealing with people and not automated computers and pressing my keypad to get to the right department, also having slight hearing difficulties it was good having UK call centres.

Got it new but as stated i dont want it if i have to pay as i can easily get another on contract with virgin

For the price the Moto G is a great phone and Virgin do some really good *Sim only* monthly rolling contracts. If the sim only package doesn't suit you can change it or cancel at any time with 1 month's notice. If you are happy with the phone why not get it unlocked and go for a Virgin sim only? ......... edited to add: just realised you might have sent the phone back.already.

Edited by PhilR