Iphone 5 which network?

Featured Posts

Just been given an Iphone 5 all working but no sim. It is apparently unlocked and needs a nano sim. I want mainly internet pay as you go, am not bothered about text/phone calls (no friends.) What would be the best network for me (mainly boat use)?

Many thanks.

Just been given an Iphone 5 all working but no sim. It is apparently unlocked and needs a nano sim. I want mainly internet pay as you go, am not bothered about text/phone calls (no friends.) What would be the best network for me (mainly boat use)?

Many thanks.

If you want 'pay as you go' internet the cheapest around seems to be 3-2-1 with Three. I am considering switching to this when my contract ends next month.

Three's coverage is in my experience not as good as they trumpet but it's acceptable.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

Edited by The Dog House

Unless it's too early for me to convert mb to gb, 3-2-1 works out at £10 per gb. I'm on the one plan and get through 5 to 10 gb per month without trying, so (for me anyway) 3-2-1 would be way too expensive.

(We only use it for browsing, emails and I-player, don't download films or music and don't use it for work).

The iPhone 5 it does not support 4G on all the frequencies used in the UK, and it will only do 4G on the Three network, on other networks it will be limited to 3G. The SIM only One Plan on Three would be a good choice if you mainly want internet usage.

Unless it's too early for me to convert mb to gb, 3-2-1 works out at £10 per gb. I'm on the one plan and get through 5 to 10 gb per month without trying, so (for me anyway) 3-2-1 would be way too expensive.

(We only use it for browsing, emails and I-player, don't download films or music and don't use it for work).

You are right, you have to work out exactly how much you use data.

My iPhone is predominantly used with wi fi and I use very little data on the phone network. It would be different for somebody who spent a lot of time away from wi fi. I am monitoring my data use using my monthly bill and an app. (and calls and texts) and at the moment 3-2-1 would be a cheaper option for me.

I just mentioned 3-2-1 because Catweasel mentioned PAYG and it is AFAIK the cheapest way to do i, a monthly plan may indeed be cheaper overall, particularly if as he intends it to be mainly for use on the boat.

Edited by The Dog House

I would say avoid Vodafone for sure. I have been with them for years and the service seems to be going from bad to worse. Just my opinion of course but when my contract expires in a few months I shall be cancelling it, getting my phone unlocked and getting a sim only deal elsewhere.

As an addition to the thread, Catweasel says he intends to use his phone mainly on the boat. We have just got back from Llangollen (from Milton Keynes via Shrop. Union, T & M and around Birmingham) and while the '3' phone reception seemed to be fine everywhere, the data reception was awful. We intended to use the one plan to tether to the i-pad for watching TV (very basic boat!) and iplayer etc. I think we only got data reception about 3 evenings in total, so a bit of a failure there. We moored close to the NIA, about 300 yards west, and couldn't get a thing. Although I have to say the customer services at '3' give me a healthy rebate every time I complain about the data reception.

(Its lucky I don't watch football or tennis, because the TV programming seems absolue crap at the moment so haven't missed much!!)

The iPhone 5 it does not support 4G on all the frequencies used in the UK, and it will only do 4G on the Three network, on other networks it will be limited to 3G. The SIM only One Plan on Three would be a good choice if you mainly want internet usage.

I guess that must have changed with the S then as you can get a 5s on 4g on EE as just one example.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/iphone-5s-16gb-gold/details

As an addition to the thread, Catweasel says he intends to use his phone mainly on the boat. We have just got back from Llangollen (from Milton Keynes via Shrop. Union, T & M and around Birmingham) and while the '3' phone reception seemed to be fine everywhere, the data reception was awful. We intended to use the one plan to tether to the i-pad for watching TV (very basic boat!) and iplayer etc. I think we only got data reception about 3 evenings in total, so a bit of a failure there. We moored close to the NIA, about 300 yards west, and couldn't get a thing. Although I have to say the customer services at '3' give me a healthy rebate every time I complain about the data reception.

(Its lucky I don't watch football or tennis, because the TV programming seems absolue crap at the moment so haven't missed much!!)

I don't understand why you would not get good reception on Three near the NIA, we were there at the end of May and had storming reception on 4G.

I guess that must have changed with the S then as you can get a 5s on 4g on EE as just one example.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/iphone-5s-16gb-gold/details

Yes the 5S and 5C support all the frequencies. It was just that when the 5 came out the 4G frequencies had not been finalised, and of the ones the 5 supports in the UK it is only Three that use one of them.

I don't understand why you would not get good reception on Three near the NIA, we were there at the end of May and had storming reception on 4G.

I understand near the NIA there is free wifi, but we were not close enough, also my phone is only 3G. Picked up loads of other wifi from the flats but wasn't cheeky enough to knock on doors for the code!!

I understand near the NIA there is free wifi, but we were not close enough, also my phone is only 3G. Picked up loads of other wifi from the flats but wasn't cheeky enough to knock on doors for the code!!

Did no use wifi, just the phone network. Before 4G there was an excellent 3G service in the central area of Birmingham, perhaps now there is 4G there Three have reduced the 3G signal but that seems unlikely to me. Very strange.

Thanks good people. I have gone with 3 and decided to go on the One plan at 20 quid a month. They tell me it still includes full tethering until the middle of this month, when the deal changes, so for once it seems I got lucky ;)

I was told by three people, that's 3 persons,shop assistants, that the deal you have signed up to will continue as you have bought, and any new contracts will differ.

Is that what you meant?

Martyn

I was told by three people, that's 3 persons,shop assistants, that the deal you have signed up to will continue as you have bought, and any new contracts will differ.

Is that what you meant?

Martyn

Yes, I worded it rather badly, thanks for clarifying ;)

I bought the deal on Friday, I panicked a little thinking I had once again been duped.

It's good when you get a deal.

Martyn

Loads seem to be on it, and I was a little concerned, but it seems a v.good deal.