pulling your hull back in

Featured Posts

Not sure what your boat actually is- I would guess perhaps an older pleasure hull with a timber top. Repeated hard bashing of the bows against gates etc can cause a spread because the U shape of the hull is not stiff enough to resist outward flexing. It is not likely to have spread because the insides are being pushed out by a load as with carrying craft.

The problem is not pulling the hull in- that can be done with a temporary chain and Weston hoist used horizontally or a turnbuckle as found in most historic working boats. The problem is how to hold it in (oo er missus) if the top is not rigid enough to do this. Extra knee plates can be fitted but they get in the way inside.

N

Is it really that wide? Mine is 7' 3/8" at the widest point. The baseplate is 6'11". I know there are a few locks it won't get up, but it'll do everything else. I just accept that as a downside of my boat, that until CRT remove a whole brick course like at Stret lock, I can't get up Hurleston to the Llangollen.

I guess the problem is he is 'stuck' on the Llangollen and cannot get 'off' to go anywhere else.

How did the boat get on the Llangollen in the first place ?

No, I think he turned round when he had trouble and never got onto the Llangollen.