washing machine

shane

Featured Posts

i have tried to find a suitable washing machine to fit into a boat i am hoping to own in the next few weeks and all of your suggestions will be gratefully recieved

shane

We have the Candy Aquamatic 1000 T, which is very small and takes 3.5kg load. It is very quiet and kind to the batteries when used with the inverter.

http://householdappliances.kelkoo.co.uk/b/...596/146601.html

Edited by Guest

thats the one ive been looking for thanks a lot

shane

I think a few people have these on boats. Should have added they are cold fill only, but seem to use only moderate power to heat the water. The main advantage for us is that it will fit along the corridor. We are very pleased with it. There is another make of slimline washer, but sorry can't remember-may be Zannusi?

Edited by Guest

I think a few people have these on boats. Should have added they are cold fill only, but seem to use only moderate power to heat the water. The main advantage for us is that it will fit along the corridor. We are very pleased with it. There is another make of slimline washer, but sorry can't remember-may be Zannusi?

Yes it's the Zanussi model ZWC1300 which is a compact machine. A plus is that it has a 1300RPM spin speed.

Pav

We have the Candy Aquamatic 1000 T, which is very small and takes 3.5kg load. It is very quiet and kind to the batteries when used with the inverter.

http://householdappliances.kelkoo.co.uk/b/...596/146601.html

How would you rate the performance? What sort of cycle times does it run for the wash cycle and how's the spin dry function?

The Candy Aquamatic 10T (I have one of these) can be used without its heating element because it has a heat dial. turn this to O and put hot water in from the calorifier, this makes the washing machine exceptionally economical to run on an inverter. Seems a waste of battery power to heat water when there's a tank of it already on the boat. Another way is to pour kettles of water in through the soap drawer - use liquid in a ball in the wash then topping up the water through the soap drawer is no problem. Mains hook-up obviously changes the story but I'm never going to have one of those.

Not a great washing machine, wash quality wise but nice and compact. Best to get a vertical centrifugal spinner as well cos the spin isn't that amazing.

The Candy Aquamatic 10T

Not a great washing machine, wash quality wise but nice and compact. Best to get a vertical centrifugal spinner as well cos the spin isn't that amazing.

The Zanussi ZWC1300, as I mentioned before, has a 1300RPM spin which should be more than up to the job.

Pav

The Candy Aquamatic 10T

The Zanussi ZWC1300, as I mentioned before, has a 1300RPM spin which should be more than up to the job.

Pav

I'm about to buy the Candy Aqua 1000, but first can anyone tell me if it has a setting for 40 degrees or less? I can't seem to find that information on the internet. My home washing machine (I'm renting till the boat is completed) doesn't have a 30 wash and I find it annoying.

Cheers

Hi

Yes it has a 30 degree setting plus 0 degree as mentioned above I think they are also 40, 60 and maybe one more higher. If you have found a Aqua 1000 it is an old model they changed the model to Aqua 10T a year or so ago, but just a face lift basically the same nice and simple and will run of all the pure sine inverters I have heard of using them and is very tolerent of running direct of generators, though you may have to tweek the rev's down to get the cycles to under 52Hz on load (most gennies run at a bit faster than the nominal 3000 rev's on no load to allow for load coming on) I found with ours.

david

ive just ordered a bosch wvt1260 washer dryer. its 56cm deep and standard size all other ways. wash 5kg and dry 2.5kg

its going to arrive in a couple of weeks as they are all out of stock at the moment.

after reading the reports about it most people were quite positive and the chap in the shop was also very helpful with giving me the power rating and all that gubbins.

im not sure if it will need a pure sine wave or if it will give or take a bit with a genny, im not sure, I will wait and see and if I have problems I will have to find a solution. I decided not to get a mediocre washing machine to keep the power demand low, because i was pretty sure I would get really annoyed with it before too long. and if I decide I dont want this machine in the future, well, i can just flog it and get another.

I recon I will need to get a decent genny to fit in the engine compartment though as the power required for it is quite high.(2.5kw) ive got electrolux power from the engine but im not sure if that will be enough.

Its much cheaper and often easier to use a laundrette service wash!!!

Are comparing the cost of one service wash with the cost of a washing machine?

It might also be cheaper & easier to eat once at the Savoy than build a kitchen including all the appliances, but I hardly think it's an equitable price comparison.

I use my local laundrette (although I'm too much of a miser to pay for a service wash). It costs me about a fiver a week so over the year and a half I've been on this boat it's cost me about £390. It's now starting to become more expensive than a washing machine, although most of my clothes are dry when I get back and I only have hang a few things like towels, jeans & jumpers which take too long in the tumble dryers. Also, the cost of running a washing machine onboard is often not taken into account, whether by generator, inverter, or mains.

My original reasoning for not getting a washing machine was that I didn't want loads of wet clothes hanging in the boat and I didn't want to install a tumble dryer. If I had to take a wet load to the laundry to dry, well then I may as well do the wash there. However, there are plenty of good drying days in summer and I'm now coming around to the idea that it would be nice to have the option.

We had a Bosch washer drier fitted when the boat was new - 7 1/2 years ago. Touch wood no probs yet. We can use it while on the move on when we are hooked up to the mains. Wouldn't like to try it just through the inverter though.

Oh!, and I couldn't manage without it.

We had a Bosch washer drier fitted when the boat was new - 7 1/2 years ago. Touch wood no probs yet. We can use it while on the move on when we are hooked up to the mains. Wouldn't like to try it just through the inverter though.

do you use electrolux travel power when travelling?

What's the dryer function like? Does it work well?

Thought I'd jump into this thread, having been off line and out of touch for nearly 3 months.

We've been running a Hotpoint Aquarius for over 2 years with no problems at all, despite a wildly fluctating mains supply from the Marina. We always run it on 40 degrees wash, but always make sure that we have hot water in the tank, to save it heating its own. We use it 3 times a week on average and find it reasonable on water and power. For us it certainly beats a 12 mile round journey to the nearest launderette, not to mention the time saved.

Roger

Thought I'd jump into this thread, having been off line and out of touch for nearly 3 months.

We've been running a Hotpoint Aquarius for over 2 years with no problems at all, despite a wildly fluctating mains supply from the Marina. We always run it on 40 degrees wash, but always make sure that we have hot water in the tank, to save it heating its own. We use it 3 times a week on average and find it reasonable on water and power. For us it certainly beats a 12 mile round journey to the nearest launderette, not to mention the time saved.

Roger

Roger, which of these Hotpoint Aquariuses (or is that Aquarii?) do you have?

http://www.ogormans.co.uk/Aquarius.htm

I've been told to avoid any machine with a digital controller as it will misinterpret any distortion in the electrial sine wave (eg. from a generator), as an instruction to move onto the next stage of the wash cycle - resulting in a very quick wash but a tub full of sopping wet clothes which are still dirty!

Edited by blackrose

On the subject of washing machines, we had a few problems running a bosch through our Mastervolt Dakar inverter.

It worked perfectly from hook up but would not run properly through inverter, which has ample power (3000w). My electrcian contacted Mastervolt with no solution. We eventually sold it and bought a Miele. This has been absolutely brilliant. A much better machine, amaizingly quiet, works perfectly from the inverter, so we can use it on the move (we don't have a generator).

The Miele is very heavy, but its built to last. Its full domestic size. and has 1400 spin, usefull for drying later.

Hope this helps.

Norman.