Using t cut?

Featured Posts

Hi, you have provided me with some good information about re-painting the anti slip walkway on my boat, which has worked a treat.

Now another silly question from a newby.

The top of my GPR boat has a few hair line cracks, nothing major just superficial, can i use a bit of T Wax scratch cover or paint restorer on them?

Hi, you have provided me with some good information about re-painting the anti slip walkway on my boat, which has worked a treat.

Now another silly question from a newby.

The top of my GPR boat has a few hair line cracks, nothing major just superficial, can i use a bit of T Wax scratch cover or paint restorer on them?

I'd try the T cut on a damp cloth on a little trial patch first to see if works, but if they are deep hairline cracks, crazed (paint shrinkage) caused by the sun I doubt if it'll make much difference.

T-Cut wont polish our cracks!!

Its isnt a magic wand laugh.png

It will make the gel coat more shiny but then you will need a good wax afterwards to stop it dulling down again too quickly.

We use T-Cut and a machine polisher to do our hull and topsides each spring. We then use Autoglym Super Resin Polish buffed off with the machine polisher with a lambs wool head and then apply a few coats of good quality carnuba wax which are applied by hand.

Stress cracks need filling with a gel coat filler. You can do them DIY if you are a bit handy or pay someone else to do it.

I doubt t-cut will help. Is the GRP painted or is it self coloured? If your lucky it will be paint failure due to a unsuitable paint system becoming hard and unable to flex with the underlying GRP. If this is the case then it will require sanding down to the gel coat and a re-painting with a paint designed for fibreglass. If the cracks are in the gel coat then they will need grinding out down to the fibre glass layer built back up with new resin and tissue and then sanded and repainted in the normal way. Simply filling the cracks and re-painting won't solve the problem. How thick is the GRP? Some boats suffer more than others from hair cracks , usually because of poor quality, thin GRP that flexes to much. One of the reasons why GRP has a poor reputation which is undeserved in my opinion.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Thanks for comments, me thinks I now need a glass of wine! I thought this boating lark was going to be nice and relaxing. I know now that i know nothing about boat maintenance. How do you know how thick the GRP is? How do I know when i have reached the gel coat? Has the boat actually been painted and it is the paint that is cracked or is it the GRP?

So many questions, not enough wine in the fridge!!!!!

Thanks for comments, me thinks I now need a glass of wine! I thought this boating lark was going to be nice and relaxing. I know now that i know nothing about boat maintenance. How do you know how thick the GRP is? How do I know when i have reached the gel coat? Has the boat actually been painted and it is the paint that is cracked or is it the GRP?

So many questions, not enough wine in the fridge!!!!!

Had nobody told you that 'Boat' is an acronyn for 'Bring out another thousand'?

(Though nobody's yet told me whether it's Krugerands, £Pounds or Lira)