PressRelease: Canal & River Trust focusses on the customer

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

From Jonathan Ludford

Today at 4:52 PM

press release

24 June 2014

Canal & River Trust focusses on the customer

As part of its renewed focus on improving customer service, the Canal & River Trust is today (24 June) announcing a series of changes in the way its teams are organised. The new structure, which has been developed over recent months by, and in consultation with, staff from across the charity, underpins the Trust’s ten-year strategy and aims to create much stronger connections between the charity and the millions of people who use and enjoy its waterways each year.

The Trust’s 11 waterway units will have greater focus on delivering excellent customer service to boaters and other visitors, growing the numbers and range of volunteering opportunities, improving day-to-day operation, and working with Waterways Partnerships to create ever closer relationships with local communities and stakeholders. The technical responsibility for looking after the condition of the thousands of bridges, locks, wildlife sites and other assets which the Trust cares for will be brought together into a national team – overseeing the planning and delivery of engineering works on behalf of the waterways.

To support the changes a new head of customer service will be recruited, reporting directly to the chief executive and taking on the responsibility for leisure boating, licensing and enforcement as well as leading wider customer service changes. The role, which will be externally advertised, will be covered on an interim basis by Dean Davies, currently waterway manager for the West Midlands. In addition the Trust’s head of planning, Heather Clarke, will take on a new broader role as head of strategy and planning, reporting to the chief executive, with a remit to continue to develop the Trust’s strategy to fulfil its vision of living waterways that transform places and enrich lives.

Richard Parry, chief executive of the Canal & River Trust, explains: “As we mark our second anniversary, we can look back on two years of progress – with many of the new aspects of becoming a charity well developed, and changing how the organisation functions. We have many achievements to be proud of – from the growth in volunteering to the new local partnerships we have formed. Now that the Trust is in charge of its own destiny, it needs to become a strategy and customer-led organisation. The changes I’ve announced are not being driven by cost reduction but by our need to become more customer and community focused, and to ensure we’re organised in the best way to achieve our goals.

“Our future success requires us to continue to change how we do things; to engage with all those who use or visit our waterways, or live alongside them, in a different way, to make customer service and community involvement central to how we operate. I have been really encouraged by the positive contribution I have heard from colleagues. It is heartening to see that people right across the organisation see the case for change and are looking forward to it. Whilst some more development work is required, including mapping people into revised roles, we look forward to implementing the new structure in the autumn.”

Ends

For media requests please contact: 020 32044514

Good appointment Dean Davies is a very customer focused person and I like the fact that he will report direct to Richard Parry I think that means he will work closely with Richard and that can only be good. I think they will make a good team

Seconded John, excellent team.

Good appointment Dean Davies is a very customer focused person and I like the fact that he will report direct to Richard Parry I think that means he will work closely with Richard and that can only be good. I think they will make a good team

For those of us that dont know Dean can you give us a little bit of your knowledge and why this will make a good appointment. Thanks

For those of us that dont know Dean can you give us a little bit of your knowledge and why this will make a good appointment. Thanks

Because after Sally Ash I think it is a good idea to bring in someone who has the experience of having run IMO one of the most difficult waterways and done do by taking the problems head on. In my dealings with Dean he is straight talking and tell you as it is and will listen to alternatives. The replacing of Sally Ash is an important position for boaters and Dean brings a lot of experience and the fact that he reports direct to Richard is again IMO very significant. I could go on but not my job all I do is express my opinion.

It's an interim post whilst the role is advertised externally but I believe having a waterways manager with some credibility in the role is a good move. Having someone that Richard Parry believes he can trust is even better. Having the role reporting direct to RP is a good move providing Dean Davies has broad shoulders and can start managing while the directors start directing.

It's an interim post whilst the role is advertised externally but I believe having a waterways manager with some credibility in the role is a good move. Having someone that Richard Parry believes he can trust is even better. Having the role reporting direct to RP is a good move providing Dean Davies has broad shoulders and can start managing while the directors start directing.

I guess and hope that if he does a good job it would become a permanent appointment 6 months is quite a long time to find a replacement considering CRT have allready had nearly 3 months to find someone

Another thumbs up for Dean Davies from me. Let's hope he can give some of his surly, work shy staff the kick up the backside they need.

Many waterways operatives are great, but by no means all.

From Jonathan Ludford

Today at 4:52 PM

press release

24 June 2014

Canal & River Trust focusses on the customer

The technical responsibility for looking after the condition of the thousands of bridges, locks, wildlife sites and other assets which the Trust cares for will be brought together into a national team – overseeing the planning and delivery of engineering works on behalf of the waterways.

Not sure exactly what 'technical responsibility' means, but hope it doesn't take away responsibility and money for repairs from the regions. My fear is that, with a 'national team', money will be ploughed into '...wildlife sites and other assets...' (because it looks good at a national level), but local repairs, which can make all the difference to boating, being pushed further and further back down the queue of jobs to be done.

I also think the change of name from Head of Boating to Head of Customer Service shows the fact that Richard has recognised the fact that we are not just boaters but customers.

I think I would rather there was someone whose only responsibility was for boaters and their particular problems rather than all C&RTs customers (I know SA has/had a bad reputation, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater). There are an enormous number of conflicting interests to be managed and I think the interests of boaters (who IIRC make up the majority of the trusts non-grant/government money) should have a manager at national level specifically to look after the boaters interests.