before pulling the engine out off my boat

Waikato

Featured Posts

Hi good people,

I have an 11 metre launch with a bmc newage diesel engine. was put in to boat when built in 1967.

What I would like to know is are these engines petrol blocks with diesel heads or do they have sleaves and stuff.

The engine is 4 cyl. I will get the engine number next time on boat but all the paper work says it is 50hp but that means jack.

Waikato

Probably a BMC 2.2 a an alleged 50hp. This is a 100% diesel engine but it uses a bored block for teh cylinders unless it has been linered in its life.

Although the 998,1.5 and 1.8 BMC diesels are based on existing petrol engines the blocks are different in a number of ways.

Rather than a number post a photo.

Probably a BMC 2.2 a an alleged 50hp. This is a 100% diesel engine but it uses a bored block for teh cylinders unless it has been linered in its life.

Although the 998,1.5 and 1.8 BMC diesels are based on existing petrol engines the blocks are different in a number of ways.

Rather than a number post a photo.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that info. I do like the term "alleged" as that has always been my thoughts.

However it is an honest little engine in an honest old boat. It do's have a good rattle going from the timing chain, users no oil etc..

was thinking off giving her a recon given it's been doing it since 1967. But maybe just a new chain and tappets etc..

Will take photo's next time on the boat which could be about a month as it is winter here and only visit Chloe to run her up and charge bats.

Kevin

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that info. I do like the term "alleged" as that has always been my thoughts.

However it is an honest little engine in an honest old boat. It do's have a good rattle going from the timing chain, users no oil etc..

was thinking off giving her a recon given it's been doing it since 1967. But maybe just a new chain and tappets etc..

Will take photo's next time on the boat which could be about a month as it is winter here and only visit Chloe to run her up and charge bats.

Kevin

If 2.2 is correct then the timing chain is a large three strand affair and the tensioner is a proper three row sprocket mounted on an automatic tensioner.

I suspect that you will have problems finding spares. Be aware that there were two versions of this engine. The early ones had pneumatic governed inline injector pumps while the later ones used mechanically governed DPA pumps. The blocks are sightly different.

If 2.2 is correct then the timing chain is a large three strand affair and the tensioner is a proper three row sprocket mounted on an automatic tensioner.

I suspect that you will have problems finding spares. Be aware that there were two versions of this engine. The early ones had pneumatic governed inline injector pumps while the later ones used mechanically governed DPA pumps. The blocks are sightly different.

There is an inline pump, the timing chain cover from memory did not look all that wide however that all depends on how my addled mind remembers it. the boat was built in 67 and the motor went in then. I had a brief chat to the builder and the grandson off the owner that had it built. they where both pleased to see that the vessel was still pretty much as built. I don't know if this helps but it has a British marine mechanical box with hydraulic slave cyl working the clutch.

Kevin

There is an inline pump, the timing chain cover from memory did not look all that wide however that all depends on how my addled mind remembers it. the boat was built in 67 and the motor went in then. I had a brief chat to the builder and the grandson off the owner that had it built. they where both pleased to see that the vessel was still pretty much as built. I don't know if this helps but it has a British marine mechanical box with hydraulic slave cyl working the clutch.

Kevin

That box sounds horribly like a Newage/BMC DCC box and I have never seen one apart from ina manual.. If its 50Hp with an inline pump then its a 2.2. If it were more powerful it would be a 3.something BMC but they are a bit powerful for a 35ft Thames launch.

That box sounds horribly like a Newage/BMC DCC box and I have never seen one apart from ina manual.. If its 50Hp with an inline pump then its a 2.2. If it were more powerful it would be a 3.something BMC but they are a bit powerful for a 35ft Thames launch.

I do think you are on to it Tony. in another life many years ago I was a mechanic, but got sick off the grease and oil on every thing I touched so went about earning a living in other ways. However when I look at this motor it do's remind me off the Morris Oxford motors I used to work on in my misspent youth. My launch is a NZ design and build. I will post photo off boat and motor in about month. I do appreciate your help in this, there is a few off these gearbox's on the odd boat out here, but most off them tend to be on Nuffield's. This is the only boat I have seen with this type off engine out here. The hull speed of the boat is only 8knts so more power will only be wasted.

Chloe will travel at that speed at about 1800rpm with clean bum, and best off all it seems to make diesel as it travels.clapping.gif

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Well here I am tony took a bit longer than I thought. We have had a couple off cyclone's since my last post so it took a while.

However have been up to the boat today and as luck would have it run into the man who built Chloe. It turns out that there is a secret compartment that is called a draw that I had never got around to looking in.

Bugger me, there was a wealth off info such as the operator's Handbook for a Newage/BMC COMMANDER Marine engine. engine number c360/289, plus a host off other info.

You where absolutely right regards the size and real hp off said engine.

46hp at 3000 rpm 35hp at 2200rpm recommended economic cruising.

Thanks for your help to date. have been put onto a outfit that may be able to supply new timing chain, told them what it is like and they said they would not have a problem.

We will see.unsure.png

• Greenie 1

Just a heads up. The 2.2 with the inline injector pump has a weak block wall section behind the injector pump. This can crack. We had any number repaired by a UK company called Metalock. Even if yours is showing no signs of cracking please either use antifreeze if it has fresh water cooling or ensure the block is properly drained down at the slightest hint of frost. Even if you are in a frost free place antifreeze is a corrosion inhibitor.

Just a heads up. The 2.2 with the inline injector pump has a weak block wall section behind the injector pump. This can crack. We had any number repaired by a UK company called Metalock. Even if yours is showing no signs of cracking please either use antifreeze if it has fresh water cooling or ensure the block is properly drained down at the slightest hint of frost. Even if you are in a frost free place antifreeze is a corrosion inhibitor.

Thanks for that heads up Tony. I have always been a great fan off antifreeze and have 4 litre container on board for toping up. We used to have a company out here called Metalock, they where kept very busy, back in the day but we used to have mostly British built vehicles' back then.cheers.gif

• 9 years later...
8 hours ago, Conkyswans said:

The engine is a 2.2bmc hydraulic drive but this is broken  Any advice would be appreciated how to repair 

Please be more specific as to what you mean by "broken". If necessary, post a, or some, photos. If you think it is the hydraulics then we probably need to know the maker, or again photos.

If you want a direct reply to your very over simplified question, then the answer has to be "call in a mechanic".

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Where are you? What is broken? Engine or hydraulic transmission? How did it break?

I will wait for a day, but I am increasing thinking this may be a bot, but let's give it time to see if we get any sensible response.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I will wait for a day, but I am increasing thinking this may be a bot, but let's give it time to see if we get any sensible response.

Think you're right, looks like it's just trawled the site, found an old thread, pulled a sentence or two off it and made a pointless post no human would have done.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Think you're right, looks like it's just trawled the site, found an old thread, pulled a sentence or two off it and made a pointless post no human would have done.

Last visited 1 hour ago but didn't reply to Tony's post

Also there is the classic sign, off and of confused on the original post years ago which the bot has accepted and ignored.

Do bots usually create a new post or is it easier for them to tag onto an old one without a title needing to be created?

On 25/02/2024 at 11:59, Tony Brooks said:

Hi sorry to bother you I am New boat owner Is there anyway in Greater Manchester area I could go and buy a Full Engine Service Kit for a BMC 2.2 Diesel Engine 

41 minutes ago, Conkyswans said:

Hi sorry to bother you I am New boat owner Is there anyway in Greater Manchester area I could go and buy a Full Engine Service Kit for a BMC 2.2 Diesel Engine 

By service kit do you mean an oil filter, oil, maybe a rocker box gasket, set of heater plugs? Or are you looking for pistons, rings, gasket sets and bearings?

I doubt if there is anyone making up kits for 60+ years old engines!

What exactly do you need?  What is wrong with the engine?

44 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'd really like to see a photo of this boat.

And the engine because we have seen many misidentifications

2 hours ago, Conkyswans said:

Right - a broken engine (your words) does not require a service kit, but it may require a selection of parts. Unless you become a bit more forthcoming about what is wrong with it, symptoms, etc. we still can't be much help.

I suspect that your best bet for engine parts may be via the vintage tractor magazines (especially Nuffield) or vintage London taxis. early diesel taxies had the BMC 2.2 diesel.

Whilst I think most of us know just how hard it is for a new boater who has little practical engine experience to know what to ask, it is something you need to grasp and get over it. Do your best and if we don't understand we will ask or make suggestions.

You may get some replies that seem brutal or rude, but usually that is a poor sense of humour.

Just to point out that the hire fleet I worked for had a lot of BMC 2.2s coupled to a hydraulic drives, but I can't help unless I know what you are talkin about.

59 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'd really like to see a photo of this boat.

So would I, I think our fleet were the most prolific users of 2.2s coupled with hydraulic drives, most tended to use Perkins, but if it is one of our boats it must have gone north on a lorry. Only a complete nut would try to take an inland boat up north by sea.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 2