The Ribble Link & The Lancaster Canal

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I am hoping that all your experienced boaters will tell me I am wrong but if I do not ask I will always wonder!

I went to see the New Year in on my friends boat at its new moorings in Rufford. After boarding the boat and putting the kettle on the next thing I did was pick up his Nicholsons book because it was the first time I had been able to investigate exactly where this bit of water was in relation to other bits of water. It did not take me long to spot that the Rufford branch leads onto a river (douglas?) which in turn leads to the Ribble and the gateway to the Lancaster Canal.

I was immediatley struck with a feeling of glee at the thought of this summers cruise... oh yes... we could do The Lancaster! of course I would have to work out how many days would be required and........ I was full steam ahead on planning the trip when my friend came back on the boat and I announced 'my plans'!! :cheers:

He was immediately dismissive of the idea saying that the Ribble is far too fast flowing and his boat is far too underpowered to make the crossing. :unsure:

Of course I know he is probably right and even he was not I suspect that I would have an uphill struggle on my hands to persuade him otherwise because no boat owner ever takes their boat anywhere unless they are completely confident of its capabilities and who can blame him for that? :blush:

As if to back him up the neighbours came to work on their small plastic cabin cruiser and told us that they had just had their boat lifted out and trailored down from the Lancaster. Well I cannot help thinking that of course a small plastic cabin cruiser with an outboard engine will not be as powerful as a narrowboat but then it IS only a very small narrowboat (30') and so it does only have a very small engine and maybe it is not up to the rigours of tidal rivers.

I guess I just want someone here to confirm that to be the case so I can lay my idea to rest until ..... well until there is a bigger, more powerful boat to do it in!

I had done a search for topics on the Ribble link but did not manage to find the information I want so no doubt Daniel or some other friendly site crew or forum member (of which we are lucky enough to have many :cheers: ) will direct me to somewhere it has already been discussed.

Yeah, you're right, it's the Douglas at the end of the Rufford Arm, and I've had the pleasure of going from there along to Preston Dock. What a great trip! I probably won't get the chance to do it again so I'm glad I took the chance whilst I could.

I was on a 57ft Nb with a BMC 1.5 which did start getting a bit too warm with pushing against the tide but we eventually made it ok... just! There was a 35ft Nb with an SR2 who couldn't keep a heading so had to be toed into the dock by another boat.

With yours being a widebeam you'd have to make way through more water, but I shouldn't see why you shouldn't give it a go. I definately will. The lock keeper won't let you out if he didn't think the weather or the conditions were right.

Bahhh, yeah, we sort of blagged our way up to preston some how...

We knew we might well not get to the ribble link in the time provided, so we did it in two stages. Upto preston dock, which has far later closing time. Spent the night. Then down the short way to the ribble the follwing morning. (geting there an hour early!)

We made a right mess geting there, granddad was on boiler duty, and made a right hash of it!!

- Just couldnt get it to steam at all, ran right out of steam, and at one point was doing 0.01mph over land, according to a freinds GPS.

- And that was we me stearing her right close to the sides as i dared. Keeping a close eye on the bottom, making sure it didnt meet us!

- Ended up burning basicaly all our kindling just to get there, nothing else would burn for some reason.

In the end we got there only an hour late, with several frantic calls from the lockkeeper at preston, about how there was no way he could keep the gates open any longer, etc etc!

- The outer dock was all but empty when we got there, all the boats where on the mud he'd held the lock that long. OOppppss!

But hell, we made it, it was all ok.

- Turned out we'd clinkered over the whole firebars basicaly, which is why nothing would burn.

- Presumable because of the few bags of anthricite we've mixed in earlyer, coupled with particaualy hard firing!

At the end of the day, if it all went tits up, we had the anchor. Thats what its for.

- Could have stoped, brewed up some steam, and chugged on a little further. Stoping again even!

Also, you can always moor up on the wall outside the lock. Your on the tide, but it should be ok according to old mayor, the lockkeeper at tarleton.

- Although apprently one side drys out to be a 45degree mud-bank. So best to ask someone about that in more detail!

Daniel

I did the Lancaster via the link three years ago, although my boat is well powered my friends boat, he accompanied us on the trip certainly isn't there were also one or two others that were a bit underpowered. Yes the Douglas is very much a tidal river and can be fast flowing but just trust in the lock keeper and you won't go far wrong.

As others have said, talk to the lock keepers in advance better still if your are a bit apprehensive have a drive up there one weekend and have a chat with them and explain your situation, when you are at the river lock make yourself known to other boaters too, you will doubtless spend the night at Tarleton. it is a great trip and you will not regret doing it.

There is stacks of infomation about then Ribble link and the Lancaster on the BW website.

Edited by John Orentas

Thanks Guys!

you have all been really helpful.....

The boat is not a widebeam and I have no idea what the top speed would be. When I asked I was told 'I don't know'

My friend is quite a cautious chap and there is nothing wrong with that as waterways can be quite dangerous places is care is not taken. I suspect however that there is no way that he would want to attempt the route even if we were able to ascertain that his boat was powerful enough.

I know the adventurer in me would love to research properly to see if it was possible and go for it but its not my boat and I suspect the tales you tell about close shaves would be enough to scare off even a modest adventurous streak!

maybe I will stand at the end of the Rufford branch and thumb a lift aboard something that looks reasonably powerful! (and not a steam boat or I may end up stoking for the duration of the trip!

... I suspect the tales you tell about close shaves would be enough to scare off even a modest adventurous streak!

Noooooooo.

- The whole point of the tails was that we really messed it up, but where FINE.

- With a half decent NB i cant see you have any problems, its just like going upsteam on the llangllen, only a little more so...

As said, talk to the lock keeper and get some more feel about it.

- Have a decent anchor on boat, with suitable rope/chain and anchor point at the bow.

- Go out with someone else if you can whos done it before, eather on your boat, or another.

- And if you are worryed about it, the going via preston thing does certainly open it up a lot.

The preston route does allow you to take a fair bit longer (and as we found, even longer, if you really need)

Daniel

Go for it. Never end up regretting what you didn't do - it's far better to possibly regret what you did. Lifes too short not to grab what you can.

Oh I know! I agree wholeheartedly!!!

what you have said there might as well be my motto!

the problem is that the boat is not mine and so the decision is not mine either. <_<

I kind of guessed I would not manage to change the tide of thought on this one but I just hoped that maybe if everyone had come back and said oh yeah, no problem at all there is nothing to it then I might have managed to get it reconsidered but all those wonderful anecdotes of adventures you have all had may as well be a horror story to someone who is not an adventurous person.

No it is (on this occasion) a lost cause but.......

if anyone is heading that way in the summer and wants a crew member then here is a volunteer.......... even if it does mean stoking the boiler :D

Edited by cheshire~rose

I kind of guessed I would not manage to change the tide of thought on this one but I just hoped that maybe if everyone had come back and said oh yeah, no problem at all there is nothing to it then I might have managed to get it reconsidered but all those wonderful anecdotes of adventures you have all had may as well be a horror story to someone who is not an adventurous person.

Hi Rosie.

Well you obviously got the wrong message from my post, the Ribble Link is completly safe and a great trip, but like anything else in life you do need to learn and research it a bit. If it was so easy that you don't need to do that it wouldn't be worth doing.

I'm torn on this one. Got as far as Tarleton this year - mainly due to the Plank Lane closure and had pretty much the same thoughts.

My old girl is 42ft with a Lister SR3 and I've had 'no problem' and 'don't be so daft' said to me - both from Lister die hards.

That said, she has done the Trent with no problems.

I read the posts with interest and a little smile.

As we live on the Lancaster next to the Ribble Link we get to talk to many people who have just made the crossing, there is the odd tale of the narrowboat working hard to complete the crossing but most complete the journey without too much trouble.

We have spoken to the BW guys at the staircase and they said that no one has had any major trouble since the link opened.

Last season was our first year of narrowboating and we decided to gain experience on the Lancaster before trying the link. Even tried out our six locks down to Glasson Dock. Yes, we only have six and if you dont go to Glasson there are none. (but we do have one swing bridge)

Unfortunately now we are ready to spread our wings we have to cross the link, and every time we wish to explore the rest of the system we must cross the link twice. In a year or two I will be able to relate details of the crossing.

Slightly off topic but we have three weeks in the summer (there and back) and are looking for a round trip thats not too strenuous, (not used to all those locks you see). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

The Lancaster is a beautiful canal and I would recommend everyone to try it if they get the chance.

The Lancaster Canal is indeed very beautiful. We've been on it many, many times, as we live quite close, in Preston, on camping holidays, walking, and more recently boating with our Wet Betsy. We were at the IWA festival on the Northern Reaches. Great to see so many trailable boats make the effort to get there. Would be wonderful to see it all connected again, but I really hope it isn't spoiled with the restoration, if it goes ahead as planned.

It's a wonderfully scenic canal, made all the better by being rather isolated. Let's hope we can keep it that way. Not isolated - just accessible, and lovely.

Good luck planning your holiday. Three weeks on a narrowboat is just a dream for us!

Janet

PS. Don't tell anyone else about the Lancaster. Let's keep it a secret!

Janet

Edited for typing errors!

Edited by Janet S

We got up to Tewitfield and caught a bus to Kendal.

It was a nice experience walking down the filled in canal under the bridges where the water once was.

We hope one day to retrace our steps in the boat! :)

Yeah, the locks are a hotch potch.

We know some people who have some who own a 60ft widebeam, and a 70ft narrowboat.

- Both of which can ofcause go on the lancaster canal, which is both 14ftwide and 70ft long.

- However neather of them can get there, becuase the L&L is 62ft max, and the Ribble link is only 7ft wide!

So yeah allan, you'll have to go out on the mersey and back in at glasson...

Daniel

Yeah, the locks are a hotch potch.

We know some people who have some who own a 60ft widebeam, and a 70ft narrowboat.

- Both of which can ofcause go on the lancaster canal, which is both 14ftwide and 70ft long.

- However neather of them can get there, becuase the L&L is 62ft max, and the Ribble link is only 7ft wide!

So yeah allan, you'll have to go out on the mersey and back in at glasson...

Daniel

"and the Ribble link is only 7ft wide!"

I think you will find it is 14ft Daniel. But you can't get to Tarleton with a 70ft boat which I presume is what you had in mind.

This jumped out at me because when I went up the flight we were sharing the locks with an hotel boat, can't remember it's name. As we had just past below a very low bridge my chimney having been taken off was lying on the roof, it was also bouncing down with rain. The skipper of the hire boat was messing about with something on his roof so I asked him "while you are up there can you put my chimney back on". As he did so his feet slipped and in he went, total immersion, it didn't seem to bother him too much almost like a daily occurrence.

He got the chimney on before he fall though, that was the main thing.

Edited by John Orentas

Wasn't there something about a sharp turn between two of the new locks, that is too tight for a full length boat anyway?

Allan

That 'hairpin bend' is not a real problem and anyway some of the more cautious boaters simply backed into the following lock as advised by the lock keepers.

That 'hairpin bend' is not a real problem and anyway some of the more cautious boaters simply backed into the following lock as advised by the lock keepers.

Most narrowboats also reverse into the staircase when leaving the Lancaster, turning in the basin at the bottom is extremely difficult, BW should have made the basin larger during construction.

:)-->

QUOTE(andy b @ Jan 9 2007, 05:35 PM) 97975[/snapback]
Most narrowboats also reverse into the staircase when leaving the Lancaster, turning in the basin at the bottom is extremely difficult, BW should have made the basin larger during construction.

One of the lock keepers explained what that was about, the guy who owned the extra land that was required tried to charge an extortionate price for it, it could have been and probably will still be acquired by compulsory purchase but the procedure takes a long time. They managed without the land and thumbed their noses at him.

"and the Ribble link is only 7ft wide!"

- I think you will find it is 14ft Daniel. But you can't get to Tarleton with a 70ft boat which I presume is what you had in mind.

Hmmm, prahaps your right! (thinking about it, they where deffonatly wide locks)

- However, i destinctly remember them explaning how, neather of there boats could get onto the lancaster, despight them both fitting on there.

- As you say, the 70ft'ers for no chance on the L&L (although in the ribble link 70ft). But im sure there was a reason they said the widebeam couldnt get there.

- Im still not sure that you could get a widebeam up the link... What about them corrigated steel "bridges" - We really stuggled for water the whole way up, even right in the middle.

Wasn't there something about a sharp turn between two of the new locks, that is too tight for a full length boat anyway?

Its a bit windy and twisty, but im pritty sure you would get a 70 though there, certainly there was no bit where 58ft was that tight.

- The last turn into the staircase is hard to make, but we did it fiarly easly, and as everyones said, if you simply to the staircase backwards, problem solved!

(the area at the top of the staircase is HUGE, and you would certinatly have NP there!)

Daniel

Max dimensions on the Ribble Link are a bit complex.

Crikey, your not wrong there! Wonder what weird methods they used to get them!

- I guess its due basicaly to the size/shape of chanel its self. Its narrow, with sloping sides, and sharp bends.

- So the wider you boat is, the less it must draw, and visa versa. And lengh further reduces the allowable draugh/width.

So in otherwords, you have no change of well ballested L&L boat up there!

Daniel