Need advice on solar!!!!

Scooby

Featured Posts

Yeah I have 600ah bank and thinking about doubling it.

But if I could charge this bank faster it would work great.

Doubling battery bank might cause more problems than it solves. Keeping a bank that size in a good SOC through winter would be difficult. Add to that additional cost of batteries and fitting. It's always a compromise it seems, we feel we have about the right balance. 700a BB 740w Solar the batteries through the summer are a lot of the time at a full SOC we do have excess energy and it is tempting to get more batteries, but as mentioned in the winter we're glad we don't have a big battery bank to keep charged.

There is an optimal size of battery bank to have, and an optimal size of solar array, but the problem is 1) knowing your power audit 2) trying to predict how you'll use the boat in the future and 3) accurately working out in theory, then following up in practice, the amount of money spent on fuel/solar panels/other fittings.

There is an optimal size of battery bank to have, and an optimal size of solar array, but the problem is 1) knowing your power audit 2) trying to predict how you'll use the boat in the future and 3) accurately working out in theory, then following up in practice, the amount of money spent on fuel/solar panels/other fittings.

I don't have much power at the moment as everything is low watt apart from the fridge but I would like to add a few things.

I was thinking of getting a wind turbine later this year to help in the winter.

Doubling battery bank might cause more problems than it solves. Keeping a bank that size in a good SOC through winter would be difficult. Add to that additional cost of batteries and fitting. It's always a compromise it seems, we feel we have about the right balance. 700a BB 740w Solar the batteries through the summer are a lot of the time at a full SOC we do have excess energy and it is tempting to get more batteries, but as mentioned in the winter we're glad we don't have a big battery bank to keep charged.

I agree that it is a compromise and that every case is individual. However we are somewhat towards the other end of the scale. Panels are 260w and battery bank is 825A. It ensures that all of the harvested power is used or stored. We do tend to move every couple of days summer and winter and have no problem keeping the SOC between 50% and 100%. We are using deep cycle batteries and they are now in their 8th year so are obviously not suffering too badly from their treatment.

It's horses for courses but my vote would be for a big battery bank and less solar as a good long term solution unless you plan on being stationary for long periods.

We are just about to take on a long term mooring without electric so power will be a big issue and we are heavy users, 2 laptops on all day, telly every night, fridge 24/7, led lights, wanting to be able to use 3000watts victron to power the oven and the immersion heater, also wife uses hairdryer and iron and straigtheners. I also have a gaming laptop which uses 150 watts, plus monitor, water pumps etc etc etc....lol.

I guess we could use 200 amps per day on harsh days, so we are using the engine 2 hours a day at least, and we already have 200 watts of solar. Only 4x110 ah batteries now but will up it to 6.

I have checked the solar and its putting in about 10-11 amps in good sunlight.

Wouldnt it be better buying 3 more 10 or 20 amps regulators at about £50 each, cos thats like £300. I was thinking of having them all running seperately. I currently have 2 x 100watts and 2 x 10 amp regulators, was thinking of doing the same with 3 more panels 200 watts each so 3 more regs.

i have 2 of these and thinking of getting 3 more, 1 for each new panel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Juta-Solar-Regulator-Ture-MPPT-Transformer-Coil-Inside-10A-12-24V-Auto-Switch-/141284925880?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item20e53ce1b8

This may be a daft question, but assuming all the panels/controllers are connected to the same battery bank, won't there be some sort of "conflict" (for want of a better word) if one panel/controller produces a higher voltage than the others, won't it fool them into giving a reduced or no charge depending on the voltage on the battery bank?

I hope this makes sense?

Tony

Edited by Edders

I don't have much power at the moment as everything is low watt apart from the fridge but I would like to add a few things.

I was thinking of getting a wind turbine later this year to help in the winter.

I'm not saying don't but check the wind speeds required to actually get anything out of them.

You will need to be in an open area, the Drains or the Broads would be good.

If mounted incorrectly they make a noise inside the boat

ps. they work well, if at sea. wink.png

I have a wind turbine forsale. Not used it for 2 years, its sat on the roof.

This may be a daft question, but assuming all the panels/controllers are connected to the same battery bank, won't there be some sort of "conflict" (for want of a better word) if one panel/controller produces a higher voltage than the others, won't it fool them into giving a reduced or no charge depending on the voltage on the battery bank?

I hope this makes sense?

Tony

Good point, but i wouldnt have thought so, they putting in not taking out.

I believe the expression is: "Watt a waste of money"

;)

yep, thats watt I heard, the old canada goose and brick saying, keep the brick to generate electric and throw the wind turbine in the canal

I have the Bimble 990 watt kit, at 24 volts, using the Tracer 100/40 MPPT controller. Fitted 2 months ago and it has cut my gennie use by 95%. We live aboard a Dutch Barge with much electric usage. Bimble's service and communication skills were excellent and I highly recommend them and the Tracer unit (although the destruction manual's English is a hoot!).

I wouldn't advise multiple controllers to one battery bank as they fight each other. There is quite a bit on the Dutch Barge association forum about this, as various people have experimented with this approach.

Tim.

All fixed flat onto wooden frames connected one by one and into a 80 amp regulator.

Any thoughts? The furthest one away from the regulator is approx 12-13 metres. Thinking 6mm2 wire.

I made them at work. They swivel and lower!!!!!

All fixed flat onto wooden frames connected one by one and into a 80 amp regulator.

Any thoughts? The furthest one away from the regulator is approx 12-13 metres. Thinking 6mm2 wire.

I made them at work. They swivel and lower!!!!!

Sound good to me.

Them brackets are very good.

Rather than starting a new thread, could I just ask as an adjunct to this thread, what kind of solar panel set-up would be required simply to keep the battery topped up on a boat which was permanently moored, simply to power an automatic float-level-sensor bilge pump and to prevent battery deterioration?

Rather than starting a new thread, could I just ask as an adjunct to this thread, what kind of solar panel set-up would be required simply to keep the battery topped up on a boat which was permanently moored, simply to power an automatic float-level-sensor bilge pump and to prevent battery deterioration?

Nothing major, 50 watt probably too much.