12 v coolbox

chubby

Featured Posts

Hello folks

Anyone use one of these coolboxes on thier boat . I ve got a 12 v fridge but tend to shop every other day & don t like doing big shopping trips . I ve not used my fridge in months but thought that as its hopefully going to start getting scorchio that one of these , perhaps off ebay , might do the trick . Just big enough for storing a day or two s meat , fish , veg & maybe a cheeky beer or three .

it seems daft to run a fridge just for a few days supplies . Or have you found that they re just cheap rubbish & not up to the job

cheers

Edited by chubby

Hi ya,

Yep, This is mine -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4s5d7b35he43ak/IMAG0237.jpg

It's 12v, keeps stuff Cool OR Hot, Lives in my Cratch area, But REALLY comes into it's own in the summer for Keeping Salad Stuff, Some Fruits, Open Bottles of Sauces, Jams, ect in. This frees up the Fridge and Larder cupboards for Wine, Cider & Donuts.

Word of caution,

They do take a fair bit of power, not far off a proper 12v fridge. & ain't even half as good as one. So think about the storage of it,what you

need it for !. And weigh it up against getting or using ,,,a 12v Fridge.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

As they tend to be peltier devices with no thermostat they tend to use rather a lot of electricity. It all depends upon how you run your engine. It might work if you only have it running when charging and then turn t off but I suspect it will not get cold enough.

Not double checked but check the specification as to what it will reduce the internal temperature to compared with the ambient temperature.

No where as cold as a fridge.

Cheers folks ,

Sounds like they aren t up to much then . I ll get my fridge switched on & make sure its full of bottled water & beers to make it run as efficiently as possible . Bit of a shame as they could ve been ideal but if theyre inefficient & draw power constantly then buying one would be a waste of money ,

cheers for clearing up my query , very grateful

We are using one as a temporary measure at the moment as I can't decide which way to go fridge wise, 12v or 240. Only have it switched on when we're cruising but it does keep the essential stuff cool enough. No substitute for a proper fridge though.