Hull Blacking Paint

Featured Posts

I am selling my boat and moving out in July :(.

I have taken a deposit from a buyer and he is planning on getting a survey done over a weekend in a few weeks time.

After the survey (on the Saturday) which I assume will involve scrapping sections of the blacking off, I want to put a layer of blacking on it before it goes back in on the Monday morning.

The buyer hopes to lift it out again soon after the sale to do work on it but I want to make sure its protected encase he decides to pull out from buying it.

A few questions from me are:

1. I assume from reading here, all I need to do it power hose it down a few times and slap a few coats of bitumen paint on with a paintbrush?

2. What bitumen based paint is inexpensive and decent? Would this stuff do the job?.. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p88792

3. How much paint would be required for 1-2 coats on a 45' narrowboat?

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give!! :)

when was last time it was blacked and what are anodes like

Jan 2013 and they look fine although they might need a wire brush taken to them to clean.

That stuff will do the job and probably take 10 litres a coat but it needs more than one coat. You are time restricted so pray for the weather,

Yeah I know, fingers crossed its dry!

Don't hull surveyors do the checking with laser equipment these days so there is no need to scrape of the bitumen?

Could be wrong though.....

When I had mine done last Jan it was a scrape and measure job. Wasn't aware of other methods..

You could always put epoxy over the scraped off bits.

Have a look at some of the stuff from "Reactive Resins", you can put it on even if the surface is a bit damp, and it sets quick and continues to harden underwater. It will also go over some existing blacking if its well stuck on.

..........Dave

You could always put epoxy over the scraped off bits.

Have a look at some of the stuff from "Reactive Resins", you can put it on even if the surface is a bit damp, and it sets quick and continues to harden underwater. It will also go over some existing blacking if its well stuck on.

..........Dave

But only if that coating is epoxy it seems - ARMOURGUARD PW can also be applied to most sound old epoxy coatings provided they are clean and free from contamination.

• Greenie 1