Crick Boat Show award winners 2014

Northernboater

Featured Posts

Your mistake 'perhaps'? You don't believe someone who's actually been on the boat?

Perhaps I do - though, as you had not mentioned that you had been on the boat, I was not to know that.

It's a reverse layout, so no.

I've got a lot of time for the guys at Aintree, and I think the quality of their work is good (I think the steelwork looks particularly good). But they're building a standard boat -- every time they do a full fitout it's more or less the same. Bespoke boats where everything is different each time take a lot longer to build, for a start. Standard boats will always be cheaper than bespoke ones.

Is it really bespoke when its not built to the buyers spec? I still cannot see how they are valued so high. Other builders, some of whom I spoke with at Crick will build you a bespoke boat for around 90k and I just cannot see the difference between the build qualities.

Other builders, some of whom I spoke with at Crick will build you a bespoke boat for around 90k and I just cannot see the difference between the build qualities.

Much depends on the size of boat which they would build for that price, surely? If 40 foot, very expensive; if 70 foot, bit of a bargain nowadays (oh for the £1,000 per foot which remained the industry standard for quite a number of years).

Is it really bespoke when its not built to the buyers spec?

A valid point. Perhaps it could more accurately be described as a "spec" boat (short for speculative rather than specification).

The 1st & 3rd picture are facing the stern , it is a very nice boat the person who showed me around said they have just sold it , so it was not a bespoke boat as far I am concerned , the aintree boat was a standard build with extras that the owners had asked for ,I think he said it was £81,000

hello there! i would just like to point a few things out and hopefully help with some questions and opinions that have bean raised in this thread. first of all, the price of 135,000 for this boat is such because the boat comes with all the top of the range extras already fitted! the craftsmanship that goes in to building one of these boats is of the highest standards and very labor intensive, just the carpentry work took over 1100 hours! on similar size boats for 80 - 90 thousand the quality of craftsmanship is not there or the spec of the boat is ( standard spec) or maybe the boat is built in a different country keeping the labor costs down? i think these boats are great value and make boating very affordable for many more people. but cant be directly compared with boats like Shackleton which is totaly hand crafted, not designed on a computer and made with modern machinery, which in my opinion gives the boat no soul, but that's just my opinion. as someone has pointed out its like comparing a rolls royce to a vauxhall , not that there is anything wrong with vauxhalls . the first boat built was at crick last year and came second in show, to back that up with a first place with there second boat must be saying something??? the drainer is forward of the sink so it dose drain naturally into the sink and the shiny black work top is solid Italian 30mm thick granett. and i know for a fact they are not driving around in expensive cars or living a lavish life stile, they are just passionate and proud to build quality luxury boats. any more questions i will try to answer as soon as i get them, thanks for your time.........

• Greenie 1

Accepting that the winner was a most excellent piece of work I was a little surprised.One of the very finest modern boats, if not the finest, that I`ve ever had the pleasure of sign-writinng won not a thing, it didn`t even come second. Struck me as strange because in terms of workmanship , fit and finish ( even the bits you wouldn`t normally see ) and every other measurable quality it was astonishingly and refreshingly good. It was leading the poll by a country mile after the first two days, or so I`m told - so what happened on the wet and underpopulated final day I have no idea. So ,just for that particular boat-builder, well done - she was absolutely stunning.

Accepting that the winner was a most excellent piece of work I was a little surprised.One of the very finest modern boats, if not the finest, that I`ve ever had the pleasure of sign-writinng won not a thing, it didn`t even come second. Struck me as strange because in terms of workmanship , fit and finish ( even the bits you wouldn`t normally see ) and every other measurable quality it was astonishingly and refreshingly good. It was leading the poll by a country mile after the first two days, or so I`m told - so what happened on the wet and underpopulated final day I have no idea. So ,just for that particular boat-builder, well done - she was absolutely stunning.

I'm sure Steve will be very pleased with your assessment.

James, welcome to the forum and thank you for coming in and stating your points of view. It is obvious that you are absolutely delighted with your new purchase, and that's the most important thing. I hope we'll see you joining in more discussions on this forum.

I'm sure Steve will be very pleased with your assessment.

James, welcome to the forum and thank you for coming in and stating your points of view. It is obvious that you are absolutely delighted with your new purchase, and that's the most important thing. I hope we'll see you joining in more discussions on this forum.

thank you for welcoming me to the forum, however i am not the owner. i personally cant afford a set of fenders let alone 135 grand for a new boat...

Phil Speight, on 30 May 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Giz a clue Phil - who was that?

thank you for welcoming me to the forum, however i am not the owner. i personally cant afford a set of fenders let alone 135 grand for a new boat...

argh!!! i see the confusion now! im new to this forum stuff and have put the name Shackleton down as my boat, i thought it was for what boat you were commenting on. my mistake will try to sort it.

Giz a clue Phil - who was that?

He hasn't responded to the (tongue in cheek) clue in my response - so maybe I was right?

James, the fact that below your avatar are the the words "Boat name: Shackleton" made me, in my simple little way, assume that she was your boat. So what is your connection?> Perhaps you are one of here builders/ fitters?

EDIT: James, our posts crossed I think!

Edited by Athy

jamesbls, on 30 May 2014 - 1:38 PM, said:jamesbls, on 30 May 2014 - 1:38 PM, said:

can anyone help me with changing my boat name from Shackleton on my profile??? i am most definitely not the owner, just a bit thick when it comes to filling forms in. all a bit new to this......

Just delete it, and leave it blank and click on save changes.

GWyKuzE.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

I agree the boat you signed the other week at Jonathans is absolutely stunning and is totally hand built with thousands of hours of one mans labour and heart going into it. Everyone thought the same as you that he would come away with an award. Hopefully it will sell soon and be appreciated by those who can see what Richard has put into it. A stunning boat and workmanship.

Edited by Northernboater

I agree the boat you signed the other week at Jonathans is absolutely stunning and is totally hand built with thousands of hours of one mans labour and heart going into it. Everyone thought the same as you that he would come away with an award. Hopefully it will sell soon and be appreciated by those who can see what Richard has put into it. A stunning boat and workmanship.

Forgive me but......have I missed the name of this fabulous craft/builder????

:-/

I believe you're talking about the Wizard boat, which was indeed stunning. There were really only two boats I thought were in with a real chance, Shackleton and the Wizard boat.

As far as I know, they didn't actually reveal who came second and third this year. I went to the show office afterwards to find out, and the staff there seemed completely clueless about the whole thing. In fact, it was very odd that the presentation to the winner wasn't even announced over the tannoy. Most of the builders also didn't realise that voting stopped at 2pm on the Monday, with the winner announced at 3pm. It was rather poorly organised, in my view.

I'd also be interested to know who told you who was in the lead after two days. When I spoke to the sponsor, he didn't know; I gather that these days the votes are counted by WW.

After ten years of working at Crick, I've given up trying to find rhyme or reason in what wins favourite boat. Because it's a popular vote all kinds of factors kick in. Novelty and curvy interiors seem to help, simply solid craftsmanship isn't enough. At one stage I thought that being over on the same side of the marina as the RoyScotLarch stand was the answer, but apparently it's been 50/50 between the two sides over the years.

The winner is always a decent boat, as far as I can see, mind you, but it's not like the IWA awards which were judged by experts by and large.

Whatever, well done to Shackleton and may her new owners have many happy years cruising her.

Forgive me but......have I missed the name of this fabulous craft/builder????

:-/

"Celtic Pride" Wizard Narrowboats Richard Evans Sheffield. One man operation built on a Jonathan Wilson Shell. Stunning boat with many many hours of hard work and thought put into her. He does not build many here is a link to one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSrJAtWD-ec

Celtic lady was nice but a bit tarts parlouirish and the builder Richard had a very strange attitude so for me that meant voting for the Brigatine or whatever it is

Peter

I'm sure it may be Celtic Pride maybe I miss read when I watched it get sign written.

Anyone with a photo from the show?

Edited by Northernboater

I believe you're talking about the Wizard boat, which was indeed stunning. There were really only two boats I thought were in with a real chance, Shackleton and the Wizard boat.

As far as I know, they didn't actually reveal who came second and third this year. I went to the show office afterwards to find out, and the staff there seemed completely clueless about the whole thing. In fact, it was very odd that the presentation to the winner wasn't even announced over the tannoy. Most of the builders also didn't realise that voting stopped at 2pm on the Monday, with the winner announced at 3pm. It was rather poorly organised, in my view.

I'd also be interested to know who told you who was in the lead after two days. When I spoke to the sponsor, he didn't know; I gather that these days the votes are counted by WW.

we were told the pa system had packed up so that's why there were no announcements???

After ten years of working at Crick, I've given up trying to find rhyme or reason in what wins favourite boat. Because it's a popular vote all kinds of factors kick in. Novelty and curvy interiors seem to help, simply solid craftsmanship isn't enough. At one stage I thought that being over on the same side of the marina as the RoyScotLarch stand was the answer, but apparently it's been 50/50 between the two sides over the years.

The winner is always a decent boat, as far as I can see, mind you, but it's not like the IWA awards which were judged by experts by and large.

Whatever, well done to Shackleton and may her new owners have many happy years cruising her.

im sure they will, it was a stunning boat.

Celtic Pride it was - I wasn`t going to say so unless someone else did first. I wasn`t swayed either way by the decor - it was the alround craftmanship, things like the beautiful lining out and arrangements within the Eberspacher housing under the deck, the clinically crisp and logical internal fit of the gas locker and the fuse/systems cupboard. Not to mention the perfectly even shutlines round all the doors drawers and cupboards which were of course as well finished inside as out and opened and closed as well those you`ld find on an S class Mercedes. ( Ok - look elsewhere for cupboards and drawers, but if a top end Merc DID have them.....). Not one piece of shaped timber, none of the internal woodwork in fact was bought in. Stunning is a very good discription. As to what I heard about the scoring - well who knows , it may have been nonsense or it may not and I can`t actually remember who told me, but I do know a lot of people in the trades at Crick.

For a less serious view of the event as taken in by an aged boat painter who would really prefer to be playing out in other areas where he actually does have hobbies see my other post. Not actually written it yet! Oh yes, if the builder was a bit edgy.grumpy.whatever a) he`s Welsh and B) in the weeks leading up to the event he was working 12 and 13 hour days none stop to finish the boat on time. He had me utterly knackered and I only did 10 days!

Best ever paint complaint/conversation.

Salesman ; "Good morning"

Customer ; " You sent me the wrong colour paint"

Salesman ; "Oh!"

Customer ; " I asked for White and you`ve sent Black !"

Salesman ; "Are you sure ?"cool.png

Edited by Phil Speight