Battery location clamps

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Hope this question has not been answered elsewhere. Not sure where to search.

Just bought a 1999 NB with 2 leisure batteries. I am going to add 2 more. The original 2 are fairly new.

There are no clamps to hold down any of the batteries and no sign there ever were, they just sit loose in the engine bay on a shelf (uxter plate?) with a 1/2" front lip. Obviously the boat has passed some bss exams before. Next one due November 2015 Should I be worried? will it pass again like this? they cant slide off. Nowt but friction and weight stopping them sliding around sideways, although i guess that in a NB this is highly unlikely. The previous owner tells me they just sit there.

Advice please.

Pat K

Our previous boat was like this and they passed previous BSS - they were failed this last time. They need fastening down.

Apparently they have to be retained in postion with the boat at something like a 45o list to avoid the wires being pulled off, shorting and causing a fire.

I made a part height tray for the starter battery (my main batteries are something else - don't ask) and straps from the tray to the top of the battery to retain it. Modern adhesives are marvellous - you could stick a large piece of ply to the uxster plate and it would take a helluva lot of force to shift it. If you're lucky there may be some steelwork to which you could anchor the ply anyway.

Mine's survived four BSS inspections to date........

Thanks for the replies, my feeling was that they should be fixed. I like the idea of glueing a holder in, after all lots of bits of cars are glued together and traveling a lot faster than 4mph!

We set our batteries in plastic containers, these are held in position with an Oak surround at the base. The containers are very sturdy made from polypropylene and under a tenner each.

DSCF1535.jpg

All shapes and sizes from here. Also come with lids, the carry handles are big enough for battery ventilation so you can fit lids without holes.

http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/stacking-plastic-containers-boxes/auer-euro-containers/

You also mentioned adding another 2 batteries, even though you say your current batteries are fairly new, adding new batteries to older ones can be detrimental to the new ones, try to use alike batteries as well.

A stout custom made plywood battery box will work if you can't find equally tough plastic ones to suit. This one takes five 110 Ah leisure batteries.

IMG_3501.jpg

The batteries don't need to be clamped down individually, just held closely in place so that there is no strain on their inter-links.

Suggest making the box a tad wider and longer than absolutely necessary. This to allow for marginally larger replacements. Packing pieces can be used to hold them close if necessary.