TLC needed

Miemie

Featured Posts

Just been to look at a boat 43 foot has not been used for 12 months lot of cosmetic work needed very cluttered but if it's the only way to get to own your own boat would u look past the cosmetic side and go for it we are very keen only thing worrying me is the length and how small it looks but again it's all the clutter the agreement between me and them suits me and them 100%

Kim

43 foot is a good size - if the layout is correct and maximised its easily sufficient for a liveaboard for 2.

If it is purely cosmetics they can easily be changed with a big hammer, bits of wood and some paint, if :

1) The engine is sound

&

2) The hull is sound

&

3) The price allows for work to be done and not end up with an overpriced boat

Go for it.

(Dont forget to allow for a fuel gauge stick in your budget.)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

As Alan.

With, not been used for 12 months, engine sat with old oil, (possibly) condensation in the fuel tank.

Will also need dealing with.

Good luck if it ticks your boxes.

I'm just going to interject with..."you should have it surveyed before agreeing the sale" good advice, dependant on age and condition.(someone has to say it) If you know little about boats, it could save you a lot of money in the long run. If not cosmetically cared for, is it cared for from the maintenance point of view?

Hope it is a happy end, good luck!

I have moved four boats in the last year which have had cooling system faults on the journeys as they have been left standing for periods of 12 months to.....4 years without being used. I run a check on all systems before starting, but am getting adept at removing rusted lumps formerly known as thermostats from boats en route.

If you are investing any sort of money, not only insist on a test cruise (probably with owner) but also - GET A SURVEY!!!

We have just bought a similar sizes boat that had also been idle for about 18 months due to the unfortunate passing of the owner. The son was selling and was very reasonable - we had an afternoon alone on the boat to see how she ran and to prod around inside. Nothing untoward was found so we made a subject to survey offer. A new BSC had already been issued so we went for an out of water hull survey only which was fine. We followed this up by having an engineer look at the engine and again all was well. We now have a boat in which we can have some confidence but she does need blacking and a repaint - the offer price was amended to take these jobs into account.

So, if you like it go for it but do not let your "heart rule your head". Get the boat surveyed.