Closed season

Featured Posts

Hi All

Went for a walk today as we can’t take the boat out due to family problems, went out to Hungerford on the K & A, walked up River/Canal and noticed about 10 people openly fishing within a two mile stretch, not just your casual fisherman as they had all the gear, roach poles, seats, landing nets, keep nets ect ect. Question, is there no longer a closed season on the canals? Who should I report this to CaRT or Environment agency or both? It seems that clubs own most of the fishing rights along this stretch of water going by the signs along the towpath.

There was not any problem with them as they kept all of their gear next to them and not all over the towpath and they lifted their poles or rods out of the way as boats went past. What are your thoughts on this.

Fred

Hi All

Went for a walk today as we can’t take the boat out due to family problems, went out to Hungerford on the K & A, walked up River/Canal and noticed about 10 people openly fishing within a two mile stretch, not just your casual fisherman as they had all the gear, roach poles, seats, landing nets, keep nets ect ect. Question, is there no longer a closed season on the canals? Who should I report this to CaRT or Environment agency or both? It seems that clubs own most of the fishing rights along this stretch of water going by the signs along the towpath.

There was not any problem with them as they kept all of their gear next to them and not all over the towpath and they lifted their poles or rods out of the way as boats went past. What are your thoughts on this.

Fred

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/faqs/fishing

Scroll down to the 'is there a closed season bit' for your answer.

Thanks for the quick replies, I did not know that most of the canals don't have a closed season. How does this apply to the K & A as a lot of this is river that has been canalised.

Fred.

Thanks for the quick replies, I did not know that most of the canals don't have a closed season. How does this apply to the K & A as a lot of this is river that has been canalised.

Fred.

Individual stretches have bespoke rules.

The fact that they were not scrotes suggests there is no issue.

At this very mo I'm fishing a canal too!

Fred.

My guess is that it would be the same as on the A&CN where we see fishing most of the year on the man made bits.

The section at Hungerford is covered by the Hungerford canal fishing club and this is the limit of where you can fish it in the close season everything downstream of Kintbury is out of bounds due to being classed as flowing canal even though a few pounds are proper canal below there ....don`t make logical sense but that is what it is .

Thats an interesting one due to the canal you mention. I went into the K&A trusts tea room information center at Newbury and it says there if I read it right, I was going to check onthe way back that you can fish the canal 12 months a year, but what is canal, directly opposite their tea rooms is an EA sign saying closed season. Now Newbury is on the river as is much of the eastern K&A but probably Hungerford we be classed as canal. I think it could all be very confusing on this waterway.

Like I said - bespoke rules.

You cannot fish any of the Wey Nav in the closed season.

As regards the Lea Navigation

"Closed season: all riverine systems continue with the mandatory close season of 15 March - 15 June inclusive. The only exception within the park is the Lea Navigation from Bow Locks to Aquaduct Lock. Therefore, from the Navigation northwards and ALL rivers, streams, flood channels are closed to any form of angling whatsoever (including Crayfish trapping). ALL gravel-pits, lakes and ponds which facilitate angling are open all year round and are therefore not included in the closures mentioned above"

The club or the EA may decide. Check with the controlling club. If it's not club controlled (unlikely) check with CaRT or EA.

Edited by mark99

Went for a walk today as we can’t take the boat out due to family problems, went out to Hungerford on the K & A, walked up River/Canal and noticed about 10 people openly fishing within a two mile stretch, not just your casual fisherman as they had all the

I would imagine the fact that there were 10 fishermen on that stretch suggests that they were doing so legally.

As far as I know you can fish on the W K&A from Devizes to the river in Widcombe Bath