Solar power

bigcol

Featured Posts

I think the point I that whilst anyone can make a mistake, have mis-information in their head etc, most people prefer to get it right and are happy to learn the correct units not only so that things "make sense" when you start to do calculations, but also so that other people on the forum are not confused, given mis-information, or have to seek clarification.

Unfortunately there are a few who think it's clever and rebellious to get it wrong intentionally, like some kind of naughty teenager. Next thing they will be telling us its SO UNFAIR when they are corrected and that they HATE YOU ALL! In reality of course they are just insecure at heart and trying to put a brave face on it. Bless!

Do people intentionally get it wrong? Apart from someone doing so as a wind up (which is quite apparent) I would say no. We have seen Bigcol gradually "getting it" and my only point is we should all be a bit more tolerant, if we can't do that maybe we should refrain from posting.

A person struggling with something does not need to be ridiculed, spoken down to or made to feel stupid, they just want a bit of help.

Phil

Phil, I know that some people find electrickery difficult. And people will make mistakes. There are things I find difficult. I make mistakes in all sorts of areas, and if someone corrects me snootily or sarcastically then I will get annoyed.

But if someone politely points out where I'm going wrong, I hope I'm gracious enough to say thanks and to try to remember for next time. So that next time I need help I can be a bit more accurate in expressing what the problem is.

Am I being so unreasonable in finding it a bit annoying that someone who asks for help isn't willing to make a bit of effort to try to learn from the replies they get. Or that someone offering help should cry "pedant" when it is pointed out that their contribution could be a little confusing for a new member?

I say again, I make mistakes. Sometimes from lack of knowledge, sometimes from carelessness. And being human, I may get annoyed at being corrected. But people who make a virtue out of ignorance (I don't mean you, Phil, I'm sure you are just speaking up for people who haven't quite 'got' a point, and you feel are sometimes bullied, which I would never condone) are really just trolls.

Just incase anyone is interested, It's an Absolutely Awful, Gray, Cloudy, Windy Day, with Heavy Rain Showers, it's OrribleI. SOC was 93%.

Have Averaged 0.4a on my small 120w Amorphous Solar Panels & 3a on my Wind Generator (over the same amount of time, That's from 08:00hrs)

So somewhere in the region of.

SP Total So Far Today =2amps.

WG Total So Far Today=18amps.

So Approx 20amp in 6hrs

SOC is 95%

So that's not that bad, I suppose

Paul,

You are definitely doing this deliberately to test my new saintly patience ! Why not measure everything in groats and miligrams per week?

Seriously, sounds like you are getting all the milliamp weeks you need.

You mean youve got a device to generate picoamps per year from hot air? Plug it in here and you'll never need diesel again.

clapping.gif Well, The Picoampometer is very Experimental at the moment, but do to like my thinking !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I've rigged up Hettie's wheel to an old bicycle dynamo and when she is furiously running round it she is knocking up some serious milliamps albeit at 6 volt, need to work on the whole thing but there is potential.

Phil

I just noticed the figure from Phil's wind generator. I didn't know they were as effective as that! I though solar has pretty much eclipsed them.

Look, it was a serious point, Ok? I just accidentally left my UnconsciousPunGenerator switched on

Solar panels arrived today with cable and fittings

So hopefully rain will hold off

The MPPT 40A 12/24V Solar Charge Controller Regulator Power Boost+ Remote meter inc post was

£133 inc remote panel

26 mtrs of 4.0 cable

2x235 we panels

4 x mc4 conectors

Mc4 y piece

2 circuit breakers

£350

2 x 4 corner fixings £40

Total jobby. £523. Fitting panels tomorrow

I let you know how I get on

Col

Nearly 500W for £500 all in. Incredible!

For someone who started off a bit uncertain about electrics, BigCol, you are geting on with it all brilliantly.

To be honest, you've been a bit of an inspiration to me to get cracking with some of the stuff I haven't had much of clue about before.

Shows up the forum at its best, I reckon.

In between the rain showers, panels and brackets were dry fitted, photo of panels in my gallery.

Haven't got the knack yet of posting in posts yet.

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 1

Nearly 500W for £500 all in. Incredible!

For someone who started off a bit uncertain about electrics, BigCol, you are geting on with it all brilliantly.

To be honest, you've been a bit of an inspiration to me to get cracking with some of the stuff I haven't had much of clue about before.

Shows up the forum at its best, I reckon.

Thank you for your kind words,and yes, it shows up the forum at its best

Col