Volvo Penta stern gland

Featured Posts

We have one of these, now 7 years old and just over 4000 hours. It didn't get greased for the first few months as I didn't know it needed it but it didn't leak then either.

For the last 6 years or so I have put grease it periodically using a syringe and it now drips a little but not enough to bring the bilge pump on automatically. It drips worse if the prop becomes fouled and also in cold weather probably because the rubber is harder.

I gather there is a neoprene bearing in the stern tube retained by a couple of Allen keys. How often should this be replaced or do you wait until the prop shaft play gets worse - I can move the prop up and down a millimetre or so. Should the rubber seal be replaced periodically? Next time the boat is in the drydock should I pull the seal back, remove the old grease and replace it with fresh?

Or just do nothing until the drips get worse?

Regards

Pete

Except that the Volvo Penta seal that I have doesn't have any water pipe running to or from it, the water lubrication is internal. The other thread is about a Vetus gland.

Richard

Edited by Ryeland

I saw that thread and recognised it as a Vetus straight away.

I ran the pump on manual when we moored yesterday. Haven't moved today due to the rain but it stopped dripping last night and hasn't let anymore water in. I guess I'll carry on with the regular greasing.

Does moving the shaft, presumably back, have any effect on the rudder? Although you did say a few millimetres.

Except that the Volvo Penta seal that I have doesn't have any water pipe running to or from it, the water lubrication is internal. The other thread is about a Vetus gland.

Richard

I think you will find that they are the same with the exception of the tube which having read up over the last couple of days seems to have been added to allow air out of the seal (Or to use with a scoop or raw water system). There seems to be dispute over how many hours the seal should last between servicing, but 200-300 hrs seems to be around the general consensus. The end of the seal (bit closest to the engine) should be removed and inspected, the old grease cleaned out and fresh applied.

You can download spec and maintenance sheets of the Vetus web site http://www.vetus.com/media/magentominds/sasdocument/20121109013333_0.pdf

Although my experience is limited to the Vetus version, if you can move your propshaft up and down by a mm or more then it will certainly knacker the seal much quicker. it certainly does on the Vetus.

If it is a VP seal it should be replaced at 5 year intervals according to Volvo, they are usually not pressure fed on slow craft like inland craft and yachts but are often pressure fed by either a scoop or cooling water bleed on faster boats. For a Volvo Penta part they are quite cheap. As VP say 5 years then 7 years may be time to consider replacement.

Richard

Hi ya,

Can I ask, Do you know 100% it's a Volvo Penta Seal, or is it one similar to mine that is in the 'Boats' Gallery somewhere, have a quick flick and let me know.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

If it is a VP seal it should be replaced at 5 year intervals according to Volvo, they are usually not pressure fed on slow craft like inland craft and yachts but are often pressure fed by either a scoop or cooling water bleed on faster boats. For a Volvo Penta part they are quite cheap. As VP say 5 years then 7 years may be time to consider replacement.

I trawled through the internet before posting and the only reference I can find is to grease it every 200 hours. I also understand that the shaft runs on a neoprene bearing so presumably this needs replacing as well. I can find plenty of reference about the different sizes of rubber seal but nothing about the bearing. Is it likely to be a Volvo part as well?

I trawled through the internet before posting and the only reference I can find is to grease it every 200 hours. I also understand that the shaft runs on a neoprene bearing so presumably this needs replacing as well. I can find plenty of reference about the different sizes of rubber seal but nothing about the bearing. Is it likely to be a Volvo part as well?

If it's a VP seal it is one piece with no bearing, it has two lips inside which bear on the shaft, I have no PDF of the install and maintainance instructions but will see if I can find a link for you.

If it's a VP seal it is one piece with no bearing, it has two lips inside which bear on the shaft, I have no PDF of the install and maintainance instructions but will see if I can find a link for you.

That would mean the stainless steel shaft just runs in the mild steel stern tube with whatever grease makes its way down the shaft.

I assumed it had something like this:

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7746800-44-286.aspx

Edited by pearley

That would mean the stainless steel shaft just runs in the mild steel stern tube with whatever grease makes its way down the shaft.

I assumed it had something like this:http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7746800-44-286.aspx

No, there is generally a cutlass bearing at each end of the shaft, these are not greased but water lubricated. The VP shaft seal is just that, a seal, not a bearing. Edited by NMEA

No, there is generally a cutlass bearing at each end of the shaft, these are not greased but water lubricated. The VP shaft seal is just that, a seal, not a bearing.

Thanks for all of that. It is going into the drydock in late June so I'll measure the shaft and get a kit ordered.

Found this site which shows a sectioned view of the seal:

http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/Sternglands.aspx