Lister JP timing marks

starman

Featured Posts

I can't seem to find any on my JP3M: are they most likely painted over or are there physical notches and some sort of pointer on the block?

Any easy way to get TDC without them? I'm pretty sure I'm getting it roughly right by hand turning and watching valves but would be nice to be precise.

Take a side door off and watch the con rod on the piston nearest the injector pump. It's what I had to do on mine cos I have a JP3 flywheel on a JP2!! It then says in the manual how far the marks are round the flywheel....do make sure the flywheel is the size the manual says tho.

Cheers

Gareth

The fuel spill point and TDC marks are on the top of the flywheel. They align with a raised lump on the block casting close to the flywheel. If you look carefully one side of it has a (poor) straight edge. It is very important that the fuel spill point timing is set with reference to these marks. Over advanced injection timing will greatly reduce the life of your engine while retarded injection will greatly increase the production of smoke. Clean off the flywheel to find the marks, its worth the effort.

Whereabouts on the top if the flywheel - just ahead of the ring gear or on the front edge. Whatever, I reckon I'll need to be a contortionist to line things up as the engine is slap up against the forward bulkead.

Latest Injector timing 24° BTDC = 4.82" on rim of 23" flywheel, 5.45" on 26" flywheel - up to 1200 rpm

26° BTDC = 5.2" on rim of 23" flywheel, 5.9" on 26" flywheel - above 1200 rpm (JS, JK models)

Spill time on no 1 cylinder JP3, no 2 cylinder JP2

Note earlier manuals indicate Injector timing 26° BTDC for JP's - this may be because the injector pump spec was changed in the 50's providing slightly larger plunger to cope with higher revving JK series being introduced.

Edited by by'eck