Honda Generator EX7 and Victron 50 Amp Charger

Featured Posts

For years I have had one of the above generators. It was given to me and I do not have the documentation. However I believe it is rated at 600 watts (0.7kva) and provides up to 700 watts of power. Is this man enough to drive my on board Victron 50 amp charger?

As you may gather I am ignorant when it comes to "electrickery" so any guidance would be most welcome.

Thanks

Edited by Traveller

My head hurts but surely 50amps at 12v = 600wats

Phil

To ease the pain wink.png

A charger needs to produce over 14 volts to fully charge 12 volt batteries. That's closer to 750 watts - add charger inefficiencies say 850 watts - add start up current draw - could be well over 1 kW or more!

Practical examples: My Sterling 50 amp charger would, very occasionally, trip a 10 amp AC breaker on start up - that's 2.3 kW!

My 2300 watt inverter/generator has to take a deep breath before taking on the load of same charger.

Its possible the OP's Victron charger can be clocked down to say max 20 amp output which may just allow his genny to power it.

Edited by by'eck

That is where I always fall over, Phil. Can do the basic maths but it is all this peak stuff that gets me. :-)

Does that man that the generator will stall or will the charger just charge at a lower rate? I am just trying not to have to lug my bigger generator around at this time but if needs must and all that!

Edited by Traveller

That is where I always fall over, Phil. Can do the basic maths but it is all this peak stuff that gets me. :-)

Does that man that the generator will stall or will the charger just charge at a lower rate? I am just trying not to have to lug my bigger generator around at this time but if needs must and all that!

Hi Colin, I always bow to superior knowledge and By'Eck has this. As has been suggested a good solution is to have a smaller output charger for those occasions that you are away from shoreline. This could be something like Electroquest which are a good price and a reasoable charger or Google Caravan & Leisure Technology who have some decent bits of kit for not a lot. This might be better than lugging a big genny about.

Phil

Their good wee generators, you could go for a smaller charger, 20/30 amp. We're quite heavy leccy users and get by no problem on a 20amp charger CCing live aboard.

The Victron is already there so I want to use it. Phil seems to have the right idea though, buy a smaller jobbie for when travelling. On my Broads boat I had a CTEK 25 amp charger an that worked well enough. Wished I had taken it off before i sold the boat :-(

Thanks all

The Victron is already there so I want to use it. Phil seems to have the right idea though, buy a smaller jobbie for when travelling. On my Broads boat I had a CTEK 25 amp charger an that worked well enough. Wished I had taken it off before i sold the boat :-(

Thanks all

You don't need a smaller charger!....just adjust the victron to suit the lower amount of current available from the Honda!....as has been pointed out there are several ways of doing this....do you know the model no of the charger?

Cheers

Gareth

You don't need a smaller charger!....just adjust the victron to suit the lower amount of current available from the Honda!....as has been pointed out there are several ways of doing this....do you know the model no of the charger?

Cheers

Gareth

Its a

Victron Centaur 12V 50A

There is no documentation with it and I can find nothing that helps re dip switches on the Victron site.

Ahhhhh.....that's a bugger...it seems it's only the "Phoneix" model that has the dip switches and can have the the adjustable remote. It might be worth dropping an email to Victron just to check though as their manuals aren't always the most comprehensive!

It might also be worth asking them advice about the genny as at one time I thought they recommended Honda units so they might know if it is up to the job.

I agree that the Ctek units are good if you want a smaller charger.

Cheers

Gareth