Dredging on the Slough Arm

saltysplash

Featured Posts

Hang on a sec., can someone explain this one for me?

They're dredging down the middle of a canal, but concerned about disturbing nests.

Since when do birds nest on or under open water?

The worry can't just be about engine noise, because birds nest quite happily in bushes and trees and other normal places near all sorts of noise don't they?

I suppose it comes down to how and where the dredging was taking place when the "offence" occurred if the machinery was disturbing the vegetation, moving over the vegetation to reach the bank or for that matter staying near a nest site for a long time then disturbance would be likely.

Birds can and do nest in all sorts of noisy and busy places but unusual noise e.g constant for an hour or more when all they are used to is a boat passing then a quiet spell will cause enough disturbance to make them desert the nest.

I didn't realise water fowl were protected - or is there a special species around that area?

Canada geese? rolleyes.gif

Basically all birds, eggs and nests are protected. There are hunting seasons for some species e.g. waterfowl and some can be killed all year round under the terms of what are known as general licenses but you need to be the land owner or the landowners authorised agent. A very quick simplified version of the situation.

Canada Geese I think are under the general license but I would need to check.

• 1 month later...

All I can remember from my single trip down the slough arm years ago is (well before packet boat marina was fitted)

Big bottle digging site

Rubbish

Pi keys with airguns ( I hope) shooting at rabbits/boats?

Rubbish

Pi keys on motorbikes without silencers

Rubbish

Boatyard with well stocked chandlery and good car park hard standing etc odd person in charge

Pi keys

Can't remember much else, bit of industry possibly some fishermen

If you were there in the late 90s or not long after, I completely agree about the odd person in charge, he was a total arse. Allegedly.

Dredging is now about half a mile from the basin at Sough central. The dredging from bridge 6 to Cowley junction will be spot but should clear all the weed as after the dredging will come the weed clearer, called something like Tarantchular. If you go to the Friends of Slough Canal facebook page, you will have an update on said dredging.