Satellite set up

NB Lola

Featured Posts

Decided to buy a satellite set up after messing about with a Ross system. In doing so I thought you guys would be good to trawl for recommendations.

I want an auto system for my narrowboat that is fully fitted and just requires me to switch it on and enjoy, line of sight etc permitting.

Recommendations oh wise ones please.

Edited by NB Lola

Travel Sat guy is a member on this forum and I see a lot of his systems when out on the cut. I haven't used him personally but he offered to come and help me set up a satellite system I bought off a mate for twenty quid, so he must be an alright geezer!

Decided to buy a satellite set up after messing about with a Ross system. In doing so I thought you guys would be good to trawl for recommendations.

I want an auto system for my narrowboat that is fully fitted and just requires me to switch it on and enjoy, line of sight etc permitting.

Recommendations oh wise ones please.

If you have a decent budget then a self seeking satellite system is what you need.

Google Camos satellite system.

Edited by The Dog House

The only trouble with such automatic satellite systems is that they are big and ugly and permanently mounted on your roof (and expensive!). We use one of Martyn (TravelSat)'s magmount dishes with an offset LNB and it is a doddle to set up, we will get a picture within 30 seconds provided there is line of sight to the satellite. When under way or not on the boat, the dish lives in a cupboard inside.

Having an offset LNB means the dish is always set vertical, much easier to set up than a dish with a central LNB that has to be angled upwards, and since one's roof is curved it is much harder to get the elevation right.

Anyway, if your heart is set on an automatic system then so be it, but just know what comes with it (ie my first sentence).

NB..LOLA....I've been using the MAXVIEW VU CUBE fully automatic system for about 12 months now and fitted approx 20 units...very simple to set up and a good bit of kit if it wasn't I wouldn't be doing it....it is a portable unit so NO holes drilled in the roof, there is a security tag on the dish to tie it down.. then take it off when your cruising or if you have a home to go back to as well as having the boat... subject to lign of view approx 2 mins to set up...

The only trouble with such automatic satellite systems is that they are big and ugly and permanently mounted on your roof (and expensive!). We use one of Martyn (TravelSat)'s magmount dishes with an offset LNB and it is a doddle to set up, we will get a picture within 30 seconds provided there is line of sight to the satellite. When under way or not on the boat, the dish lives in a cupboard inside.

Having an offset LNB means the dish is always set vertical, much easier to set up than a dish with a central LNB that has to be angled upwards, and since one's roof is curved it is much harder to get the elevation right.

Anyway, if your heart is set on an automatic system then so be it, but just know what comes with it (ie my first sentence).

My sentiments entirely! I can see clearance problems with some low bridges/tunnels if you cruise the system extensively with the 'dome' type systems.

I am another satisfied customer of Martyn (Travel Sat). Had his system installed for nearly three years now and works a treat.

Very simple to set up and remove.

Ken

nicknorman, on 06 Apr 2014 - 8:48 PM, said:

Whilst that is true of the dome type Camos system the Oyster Caro is aesthetically better and not as much of a problem from a clearance point of view in most (of course not all) situations as it folds relatively flat.

oystercaroii-oyster-caro-vision-automati

And only a cool £1,600.

A boat we looked at when we were buying had one.

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/products/view/oystercaroii

They also do systems that look more akin to a 'normal' dish.

oyster85vii-oyster-85-vision-automatic-s

But yes a little more obtrusive than a standard dish and a lot more expensive at £1800 but there is a price to pay for the added convenience.

Martyn Hicks, on 07 Apr 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

A cool £1600 or an even coler £1800....

Indeedy - but if that is what you want that is what you have to pay - they also charge £200 for fitting so that latter one comes in at a nice round (no pun intended) £2K.....biggrin.png

lexicon, on 07 Apr 2014 - 4:42 PM, said:lexicon, on 07 Apr 2014 - 4:42 PM, said:lexicon, on 07 Apr 2014 - 4:42 PM, said:

What's the best price for the vu qube people have found ?

This site has the fully auto version for £730 and the semi auto version for £485 (Scroll down to see the VuQube options) Both prices look as if standard UK delivery is included.

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/motorhome-satellite.htm

(There actually doesn't seem to be a plethora of UK suppliers)

Edited by The Dog House