Wall finish/cladding

Featured Posts

Hi all,

So I am in the middle of refurbing my new boat... I have a nice new bedroom with rather a patchwork of wall coverings. Below the gunwal I have a mix of new ply wall, old ply wall (which is decidedly patchy) and woodchip wallpaper, as well as the remnants of a very fetching fake brick effect. Above the gunwal, I have mostly the old finish, but due to having removed lots of fitted furniture, I have a real mix here too. Much of it is wallpaper, but there is also some bare ply, painted ply and even a few holes, which used to be covered by light fittings or switches.

I am not going to remove any of the current linings (that time has passed). I would, however, like to achieve a decent finish to the walls. My thoughts bellow the gunwal are to clad with a wide vertical tongue and groove, because there is so much to cover here. Above the gunwal I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to achieve a decent uniform finish...

This is the first boat I have owned, so not quite sure what is normal! The previous fit out has used filler, almost like plaster, covering gaps in ply and completely obliterating screw holes, and then covered this with wallpaper just like a house. I feel like both of these choices arenot the best, I know that I had a really hard time with the filled screw holes while removing panels to refurb.

I (well mostly the other half, who's taste is far superior to my own, and who's opinion is far more important!) Definitely want to achieve a flat finish on the walls above the gunwal, so t & g is out (we have wood t & g in the front half of the boat, so something to contrast is called for) we want a painted finish rather than wood, so doing ply panels seems a little over the top, but maybe it's the best way?

Certainly if it were a house, I would go the way of the previous fit out, filler to smooth and then either a plaster skim and paint, or wall paper, but while I don't know for sure quite why, every instinctive bone in my body tells me this is not a good idea on a boat!

People's thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Tom

I would definitely use a good quality ply, and when fixed, (depending upon the required finish) use a fine grade grain filler, and flat it back with a fine paper.

Then with a couple of appropriate coats of undercoat, (flatted again) you could then put your final coats on and achieve almost any finish you wish. (It can be a very satsifying process!)

I know many decry it and it is not good for anywhere that might get wet, but mdf can be good. Paints up beautifully, easy to shape and it is easy to add trim panels. My old boat was fully mdf-ed above gunwales and on ceiling to cover up leftover nits of fitout like you now have. In 12 yrs the only problems were a bit of swell on my leaky side hatch and another bit where a mushroom came loose. Both were fixed easily w a sander and more paint. Beware of dust.

Edited by Odana

to cover up leftover nits

Teatree oil is meant to be good at killing them and might give an interesting finish!!

Tom

Various board options spring to mind. Hardboard is cheap and has a smooth surface, it does need pinning at close centres. Sterling board when sanded and filled and painted gives an interesting finish and is cheaper than ply. Altro Whiterock will give a high gloss finish in a vareity of colours but it ain't cheap - in white it could make the boat look like a food facoty or mortuary!!

Are you still in the marina with short jetties? The i phone did dry out and now works properly!!

All the best

Richard

t

morland-uk.com

these appear to have some nice fit out stuff , and a variety of price range depending what you pick ? you need to search the catalouge but some resonably priced stuff in their , along with the more expensive ,

So it looks like you are all saying clad the walls. No options to finish the existing surface? If cladding I will definitely go the ply route, as suggested by g&f above. I already have a ply bulkhead in that room, so will give it all the same treatment.

Are you still in the marina with short jetties? The i phone did dry out and now works properly!!

All the best

Richard

No, we have left the marina with short jetties! South of Leicester now, so not gone far, but loving every minute, and the boat is being good to us. Good news about the phone!

Tom

Edited to remove repetition.

Edited by Tom Richmond

Tom, you could use a heavily textured wallpaper like anaglypta. The wall will need filling and sanding first. The paper which is very heavy is stuck on and then painted. See link http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/. Its good in old houses as it helps keep the plaster on the wall!! They do do some interesting textures which are quite contemporary.