Barnoldswick to Liverpool

JessicaBOO

Featured Posts

Hi. I am looking for advice on best places to moor overnight, pubs, shops and just any general advice you can give on the route between Barnoldswick & Liverpool. I understand there are dodgy areas around Burnley, Blackburn & Wigan so would appreciate suggestions for overnight stopping places/marinas in these areas. Thanks in advance. J smile.png

Generally, I find the section through Blackburn to be the most unpleasant part of the canal, but i don't know that it is actually unsafe as such, and I know of people who have moored in the town with no problem. Personally we always stop between bridge 106 and 104c then make an early start on the locks next day. I think there are a couple of mooring rings between 105a and 104c.

There is a very handy Morrisons right by the canal just after bridge 141b in Nelson - there is a landing for two boats on the offside (which is easy to miss if you're not looking) and you go through a gate which IIRC has a handcuff lock.

There's a Spar in Clayton Le Moors just past bridge 114b on the right, and another one again off to the right past the visitor moorings at Rishton immediately before bridge 108a.

The top lock at Johnson's Hillock is a really good place to moor if there is room, right by the sanitary station.

When you get to Wigan, again I would stop either in the Haigh Hall area or at the visitor moorings before the top lock and make an early start next day. If there are any other boats around make enquiries as to whether anyone else is going down the flight as it is so much easier with two crews.

Fuel - White Bear marina in Chorley has a self service pump and was the cheapest the last time we were on the canal. Others may have more up to date info.

In Burscough there are several good pubs, the 'Hop Vine' being the best, there are also several shops and a large tesco within an easy walk from the canal. The Wharf has water and rubbish points as well as a cafe, bakers and several 'fancy arty' shops. About a mile before you get to Burscough there are two swing bridges each of which has a nice pub and its rather peaceful for mooring around there, I lived at one of these pubs for several years about 25 years ago so I know the area quite well but only travelled on the canal by the widebeam that used to run from the pub, The Slipway. This boat was sold on and I often wonder what happened to it, I think it was called 'the Claymoor'!

Never had any problems with Wigan. Plenty of moorings on either side below Henhurst Lock, the most secure being on the right outside the CRT offices. The water tap in the s/stn at the lock has been cut off but there is a tap just outside the back door of the offices. It is an unmarked small stainless steel box on the wall.

After Wigan, Crooke is a nice spot and after that anywhere is OK. Tescos and plenty of other shops at Burscough and this is last s/stn before the Liverpool Link.

Most people seem to moor before Hancock's Bridge before going down the link but, if like me, you don't want to get up early, then the moorings at the bridge are perfectly OK.

Edited by pearley

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will put together a route plan and come back to you all if I have any further questions. This trip depends on the lock re - opening at Blackburn but even if we can't make it this time, it's great advice for a future trip.

Stop at Wigan top lock and stay overnight. One of the nearby canalside pubs has now closed but I am not sure of the name.

There are services at top lock which you can use before continuing down the flight.

As others have said if you want to stop in Wigan the most secure place is outside the BW office which is between Henhurst Lock and the dry dock.

Avoid stopping again until you reach Crooke Village.

Don't leave spare windlasses etc on the boat roof when you through the locks.

Steve

In Burscough there are several good pubs, the 'Hop Vine' being the best, there are also several shops and a large tesco within an easy walk from the canal. The Wharf has water and rubbish points as well as a cafe, bakers and several 'fancy arty' shops. About a mile before you get to Burscough there are two swing bridges each of which has a nice pub and its rather peaceful for mooring around there, I lived at one of these pubs for several years about 25 years ago so I know the area quite well but only travelled on the canal by the widebeam that used to run from the pub, The Slipway. This boat was sold on and I often wonder what happened to it, I think it was called 'the Claymoor'!

Burscough has two rail stations serving Manchester/Southport and Liverpool/Preston. Hop Vine is OK but the grub is not as good as it was and is expensive. Avoid Sunday evenings it's the staff night out and they go a bit over the top with the 'shots' and the language gets quite offensive. Good food and beer at The Ship Inn (aka The Blood Tub for historical reasons) at the junction of the L&L and the Rufford Branch before you get to Burscough, moorings and water near by. There are visitor moorings at Parbold. Three good pubs all doing food and a number of shops incl a good hardware shop, grocer/newsagent/off license, Chinese and Indian take away. If needed a good rail link Manchester/Southport. The Ring O' Bells at Lathom (between Parbold and Burscough) now under new management is worth a try. Visitor moorings outside the pub but towpath side.

Fuel boat Ambush plies between Wigan and Maghull.