'Can not get text' message

Featured Posts

Hi ya,

I use an HTC Desire 400 for all my posts on this foru,and all has been well until today.

I posted in The VP,and it was a complete mess, even more than usual. it posted twice,and won't let me Edit it at all.

Something about 'Can't Get Text' Undefined msg comes up.

It's never happened befor !.any ideas.

Just tried both,then went back to a test msg I done in the VP.

No change,

When I try and Edit,it won't let me

Giving the same msg as posted earlier,ignoring any paragraphs in Original Post and turning The £ or & characters into #163 or similar.

Even now it's ignoring the POST button.

I have to go to more reply options,

So, it's your browser messing you about

There is an app for Android and IOS. The Android one works well and makes the forum easier to read

As Martin said, you may be suffering from something to do with the forum upgrade, although would have expected that to be a problem for an app, not a browser

Richard

MORE: What nonsense! There's a mobile and a computer version of the IP.board software! I guess you are working with the mobile version

Edited by RLWP

RLWP, on 01 Apr 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:

So, it's your browser messing you about

There is an app for Android and IOS. The Android one works well and makes the forum easier to read

As Martin said, you may be suffering from something to do with the forum upgrade, although would have expected that to be a problem for an app, not a browser

Richard

MORE: What nonsense! There's a mobile and a computer version of the IP.board software! I guess you are working with the mobile version

Not necessarily I tended to find Android phones allowed you to use either, the 'normal' version or the mobile version. You could switch between but that was always remembered even if you viewed the forum on your PC.

My Apple iPhone however always defaults to the mobile skin when I visit the forum, if I try to force it to change to the 'normal' version it immediately defaults back to the mobile skin (My iPad however allows both). When my iPhone does this that setting doesn't 'stick' though and when I go back to my PC or iPad again the 'normal' version is there.

So it is possible that Paul could be trying to look at the forum on the 'normal' version on his phone.

Yep you're right DH,

Although I have always used my Phone for this Forum,I do look at it in Full Version,as it (or rather it use to) give better options for replying to posts,like Smilies and the much needed spell check ect.

But I have changed between The Full and Mobile 'IP Boards' but to no affect.

So to recap.

I've got no page refresh,

No Desktop type page to type in,No Smilies,No Spell Check

No use of the Action Buttons EG Quote, Multi Quote Post ect. They are just ignored when pressed.

I can't Edit posts, it flags up Typeerror cannot call method 'Gettext' of undefined

When in the Edit Page (Which it allows me to go in,just won't Post it) it turned any & or £ into £

And to post anything I've got to Type it, hit post,then hit more reply options,then hit add Reply button then only sometimes will it post,

Paul's Nulife4-2, on 01 Apr 2014 - 2:41 PM, said:Paul's Nulife4-2, on 01 Apr 2014 - 2:41 PM, said:

Yep you're right DH, Although I have always used my Phone for this Forum,I do look at it in Full Version,as it (or rather it use to) give better options for replying to posts,like Smilies and the much needed spell check ect. But I have changed between The Full and Mobile 'IP Boards' but to no affect. So to recap. I've got no page refresh, No Desktop type page to type in,No Smilies,No Spell Check No use of the Action Buttons EG Quote, Multi Quote Post ect. They are just ignored when pressed. I can't Edit posts, it flags up Typeerror cannot call method 'Gettext' of undefined When in the Edit Page (Which it allows me to go in,just won't Post it) it turned any & or £ into £ And to post anything I've got to Type it, hit post,then hit more reply options,then hit add Reply button then only sometimes will it post,

It's too much of a co-incidence to me that this has happened straight after the forum was upgraded, do you know which version of Android you are using on your HTC? - If not using the latest version you could always try upgrading to the latest version your phone allows if its not the current one installed. I'm clutching a bit at straws but It's possible I suppose that the upgrade has somehow 'overtaken' the compatibility with your version of Android and browser.

We also need other Android users to confirm if they are able to still view the 'full' normal version on their phone.

You could also try switching to an app. like Tapatalk but I have no experience using it so I don't know how much functionality you will use or even if it will solve your issue. That said even that may not be compatible with the latest forum software which is now showing as Version 3.4.6

Another option would be to install a different browser on your phone - there are a good few to chose from - Puffin was one I have used before, but there are others.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/03/21/best-android-browsers/

Beyond that Paul I'm stumped I'm afraid.

Edited by The Dog House

bizzard, on 01 Apr 2014 - 3:48 PM, said:

What about the button on the extreme left of the strip of smilies, if this is turned off a lot of things don't work.

You mean on the left of the toolbar me thinks...

No the forums strip of yellow faced smilies when your answering some one.

Hello again.

Just an update,

I tried switching on & off just about everything and anything I could, Changing settings and all sorts, I actually went to my Desktop Settings,and had a fiddle there as well. I think for whatever reason it was a settings problem However,it Does seam to have restored most of the functions thank heavens. So for now at least,it's

80% ok I would say.

So a big THANK YOU to all that replied.

clapping.gifclapping.gif yep,that seemed to have Quoted, posted & Edited all ok.detective.gif

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2